Doing economics, business and legal. (1 Viewer)

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
Firstly, I'd like to say that I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to finally register. This is a pretty sweet forum I must say.

Anyway, I loved commerce in year 9 and 10. I didn't top it but I didn't really try to be honest although I did manage to get 58/60 on the yearly after I stopped being lazy. Everyone is mocking me for doing those three subjects, I don't care really because I really do see my own future consisting of those subjects.

My questions are: Is there any major overlapping between any of them? (legal teacher said I was smart because there was) and what do each of them essentially consist of?
Thus far, business seems like commerce 2.0 and fairly straightforward, legal is just the definition of laws so far but it appears to be very term heavy later, and economics appears to be more interesting than both but a lot harder as well. I'm not too great at maths or english so I was worried when our teacher said it incorporates 4 unit maths as well as extension 2 English. I'd like to know if this is just scare tactics or it is actually that challenging.

Last edited:

dionb2014

HSC
Firstly welcome to BOS.

I am only in year 10, but I have been looking throught the economics course and saying that it involves 4 unit math is absolutely ridiculous.

deswa1

HSC
Economics is absolutely nothing to do with 4U maths or english. The maths involved is 2U/general level (there's no calculus) but you do have to be able to write coherent essays to get good marks. I do Advanced english and I came first in eco at a selective school so you definitely don't need to do Ext 2 to do well. What is important is to know your up to date info and then be able to substantiate any point you make with a relevant stat.

I don't do business or legal so I can't comment on the overlap between them but from what others say, some topics in business and eco overlap but ultimately they're two differet subjects.

Hope that helps :)

dionb2014

HSC
OH question, is the people that get on the premiers list for achieving 90 in all 10 units, it that 90 after aligning or 90 raw mark?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
OH question, is the people that get on the premiers list for achieving 90 in all 10 units, it that 90 after aligning or 90 raw mark?
90+ aligned mark in 10 units.

@OP: There are shared/similar terms between Economics and Business Studies (definitions) but the definitions for the same word may be a bit different at times between the two subjects but yeah. Business Studies and Economics is a really good combo in my opinion!
As for Legal Studies, I'm not too sure but yeah. I loved Year 9 and 10 Commerce especially the Business side of it cause' it was my strength in Commerce (there was like no economics at all in Year 10 commerce for me, just basic legal studies and business studies content)
Economics is so interesting and it's high scaling makes it worthwhile if you enjoy it at the same time!

Your combo isn't rare at all in my opinion! It's a good one and if you enjoy all of your subjects, you'll do well compared to a kid who does Chemistry, Physics and Biology but hates sciences and is really bad at science... All three of them (Eco, Business, Legal) do not require ANY OF THE EXTENSION LEVEL(S) OF MATHS AND/OR ENGLISH to do well!
Meaning, you can do standard English and general Mathematics and still get a band 6 in all of them if you really work hard...
Advanced English and Advanced 2U Mathematics is probably good enough!

carpe_diem

HSC

@OP: There are shared/similar terms between Economics and Business Studies (definitions) but the definitions for the same word may be a bit different at times between the two subjects but yeah. Business Studies and Economics is a really good combo in my opinion!
As for Legal Studies, I'm not too sure but yeah. I loved Year 9 and 10 Commerce especially the Business side of it cause' it was my strength in Commerce (there was like no economics at all in Year 10 commerce for me, just basic legal studies and business studies content)
Economics is so interesting and it's high scaling makes it worthwhile if you enjoy it at the same time!

Your combo isn't rare at all in my opinion! It's a good one and if you enjoy all of your subjects, you'll do well compared to a kid who does Chemistry, Physics and Biology but hates sciences and is really bad at science... All three of them (Eco, Business, Legal) do not require ANY OF THE EXTENSION LEVEL(S) OF MATHS AND/OR ENGLISH to do well!
Meaning, you can do standard English and general Mathematics and still get a band 6 in all of them if you really work hard...
+1 Well said!

There isn't a major overlap between Business and Eco. Like, you'll learn about the economic cycle in both Business and Eco. and it helps if you do both of them. I found that they complement each other in some aspects, and therefore understanding them is easier.
As RivalryofTroll said, you don't need any extension subjects to understand/do well in these subject. It's just mainly formulae and knowing how to rearrange them.
So, good luck to you!

Examine

same
HSC
Same subjects as me ;) except no modern and ext maths

Mrkingofstuff

HSC

Thank you for the detailed response. I didn't do them because they overlap, I just did them because that it was I am genuinely interested in so I guess it is all good for me. I just need to lift my game in maths and english which is far less interesting but I can deal with that.

And thank you for clearing up the extension part, he said economics incorporated parts of both extensions but it seemed a bit much to be honest, I believe he just really wants the best from us since he has an honours degree in economics and we are the apparently full of potential selective school kids.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for the detailed response. I didn't do them because they overlap, I just did them because that it was I am genuinely interested in so I guess it is all good for me. I just need to lift my game in maths and english which is far less interesting but I can deal with that.

And thank you for clearing up the extension part, he said economics incorporated parts of both extensions but it seemed a bit much to be honest, I believe he just really wants the best from us since he has an honours degree in economics and we are the apparently full of potential selective school kids.
Ahahaha, my Economics teacher told my class that he did a Commerce/Law degree at ANU :O
(Probably did the uni economics course somewhere along the way too)
Back then, apparently there was an Extension Economics course? (not too sure if it's true but sounds really fascinating)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahahaha, my Economics teacher told my class that he did a Commerce/Law degree at ANU :O
(Probably did the uni economics course somewhere along the way too)
Back then, apparently there was an Extension Economics course? (not too sure if it's true but sounds really fascinating)
Economics was most likely his Commerce major.

HSC
I'm doing all three as well!
I changed from modern history because the teacher we had really just seemed bogus and well, we hadn't learnt anything. Before I swapped I discussed it with all my teachers and they just said that it would be a big work load but if you enjoy them then it should all be good :)
Good luck with your future studies!

Examine

same
HSC
You guys should visit the Business Studies subforum :D

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
During year 11 and a bit of year 12 I done Legal Studies, Economics and Business Studies. There is a bit of overlap between Business Studies and Legal Studies since you learn about the legal aspects in businesses and especially if you have Consumers as an option in year 12. Economics is totally different from the other two subjects, though there are some small bits which may relate to it, but requires more logic and thinking. So basically no MAJOR overlap. Also, I didn't think legal studies was very heavy in year 12. It was the subject I put the least effort in, because you don't need to knew every single detail under the syllabus. Instead of testing your memorising and rote-learning skills as in Business Studies, legal studies allows to pick whatever is relevant to the question since the HSC exam is very essay-based. You do not need 4unit maths or english to do well in economics. There's only basic formulas, and you only need to know how to substitute and do basic equations and your set :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From memory, the only overlap between Economics and Business Studies was content regarding the business cycle.

Otherwise, the content is separate.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I DO ALL THREE TOO.

it's an amazing combo. They don't really overlap but some sections help you learn better in other sections.

I.e economics will help you learn finance in business easier
Legal will help you learn some dot points in business b

But stillnthey are a great combo

delian

HSC
N/A
I would suggest do Eco, as it is such an interesting subject, and useful at the same time.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I personally was doing Business, Legal and Economics during Year 11 and for the first term of Year 12. I then dropped Legal Studies after the first Year 12 assessments.

Basically, from what I could gauge of the content of the subjects and having completed both Economics and Business Studies, I can say that there is a small but not too significant overlap in the course contents. An example of an overlap between Legal and Business is in the study of the whole Fair Work Act and other changes to industrial relations legislation in recent years which is covered in Legal Studies if you do the Workplace option but also covered in Business Studies when you do the employment relations topic. There is very little, if any, overlap between Economics and Legal Studies - perhaps you will also find that this Fair Work stuff is covered minorly in Economics (under the microeconomic reform part of Topic 4 of the economics course).

In terms of the overlap between Business Studies and Economics, there used to be a bit more of an overlap than there is currently (as a result of the syllabus change in Business Studies). Previously, and when I was dong my HSC in 2010, there was a Business Studies topic called 'Global Business' (which has now been omitted under the new syllabus) and which covered aspects of the globalisation process, which was covered in great detail in the first topic of the Economics course. So in this sense there is that overlap between the two courses. However, now that Global Business has been removed from Business Studies, the overlap between Business and Economics is small and almost non-existent.

I don't think there are any particular advantages overall of enlisting to complete all three of the subjects or any combination of them just because you think it may reduce the amount of content that you have to learn. As I said, the overlaps are not very significant, there is a heap of content to learn for all of them, and it's just not worth choosing all of them for the sake of it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I read you loved commerce. I did to and I love this combo. Determines right. There is no advantage,but you'll do better if you like the subjects.

I chose them all because of commerce and I am happy withmy choice ( however I wish I did modern instead of ipt )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)