Don't know if I should drop down to general maths (1 Viewer)

reyesa01

HSC
We got our first assessment task back for 2unit mathematics and I got really low (15%). It was straight after we got back from year 12 retreat and I feel like I could've got better marks if I had so much more time to study. Overall in preliminary year I passed, but I'm undecided on whether I should just drop to general. Is it a huge difference between maths and general maths? If I should stay in 2 unit mathematics what is some advice?? Thanks heaps

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
gen maths is similar to 5.2 yr 10 maths, 2 unit is much more advanced, if i were you i would change. getting 15% is pretty bad in 2u, try catchup, aim for atleast 60% at first and progress onwards. as a last resort you should pick gen.

reyesa01

HSC
Ok thanks. I currently have 12 units in total. And I'm doing better in the other 10 units. But does general have more wordy questions ?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
general is much wordy, mainly consumer arithmetic in most textbooks i've seen...but it is general and is much easier to get 90+ in HSC exam with gen

reyesa01

HSC
Okay. It's just I'm not sure if I will need mathematics for uni as "assumed knowledge". But if I drop to general, would it be harder if I do a bridging course?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what course do you want to do at uni and what other subs do you have currently

reyesa01

HSC
At the moment I want to do Bachelor of Health Science at University of Sydney and major in psychology. Currently doing: studies of religion 2, English standard, community and family studies, senior science, biology and mathematics

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
At the moment I want to do Bachelor of Health Science at University of Sydney and major in psychology. Currently doing: studies of religion 2, English standard, community and family studies, senior science, biology and mathematics
so the cutoff is 80.6 and your subject selection compliments your desired course well. i reccommend you carry on with 2 unit if it is under presumed knowledge for your course because uni will build on this yr 11 & 12 knowledge at a deeper level. my advice is to carry on with 2u the best you can and study hard for the other 10 units, the HSC atar will be your best 10 units so as long as you do good in your other subjects, mathematics should not be as much of a worry.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Ask yourself this question:
Do you actually think you can go well in 2u though. 15% isn't very good, and it's the beginning of the year 12 year which means that it's only going to get more difficult from here on. You will need to put in a lot of work to catch up, and if you find that you actually can't do 2u maths even with all the effort you have put in, then it will be too late to catch up in general.

Alternatively if you move to general, you will have to put effort in to catch up. I've seen people drop from 2u maths to general and who fail general, simply because they haven't put in the effort to learn the content. Yes it is considered the easier course, however it's also very different. So you will need to put in the effort to do well.

Whether you decide to stay or decide to move, you will need to put in a lot of effort if you want a good maths mark

Okay. It's just I'm not sure if I will need mathematics for uni as "assumed knowledge". But if I drop to general, would it be harder if I do a bridging course?
With HSC, you want to think about what combination of subjects will help you achieve the best mark that you can possibly get.
Although it's good to consider what may be helpful for your uni course, if you don't get the atar for the course you want, then all that 'consideration' will be for nothing.

Bridging courses are designed for people who dropped maths in year 10 or are doing general, so if you did a bridging course, then you'd be fine.

Also, a BHS doesn't have any assumed knowledge, although I think chemistry and possibly bio may be recommended.
However, if you're thinking about transferring later on to something like physio or exercise physiology, then 2u would be really helpful

reyesa01

HSC
Yes what I am really unsure about is that General is going to be very different from 2u maths. But I am determined to do my best in 2u maths. 15% in the test I did is bad! But will this 15% I got in one test greatly affect my overall mark for the 2u maths course?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
depends, was it a term 1 final assessment with a weighting?

reyesa01

HSC
It was our first hsc assessment test with a weighting of 15%

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm, it may affect the overall course outcome if you continue at <60% so just do your best. If you can't cope and want to keep 2u, invest in a tutor.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The difference between the two subjects:
General: half a page question, one line answer.
Mathematics: one line question, half a page answer.

Which do you prefer?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The difference between the two subjects:
General: half a page question, one line answer.
Mathematics: one line question, half a page answer.

Which do you prefer?
General maths - year 10 maths ..... (Piss easy)
2U maths - semi difficult ?

Keeping in mind that the difficulty is relative to one's effort and aptitude.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
General maths - year 10 maths ..... (Piss easy)
2U maths - semi difficult ?

Keeping in mind that the difficulty is relative to one's effort and aptitude.
As I have said before, this is true. Also, 2-unit maths is an introduction to calculus that may be required in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)