Dr Pepper's "I had good ranks and screwed them with trials" Club (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Ok.. stupid question. If you were getting top 5 pre-trials. Then you completely screwed it and it's worth 35%, so you came 13th after trials. School rank is probably 400-500. Then you are epically gonna be screwed no matter how well you do in externals right?

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Ok.. stupid question. If you were getting top 5 pre-trials. Then you completely screwed it and it's worth 35%, so you came 13th after trials. School rank is probably 400-500. Then you are epically gonna be screwed no matter how well you do in externals right?
It depends on the quality of the cohort - although with that rank I believe you will unfortunately be dragged down quite a bit. Your internal mark may not look too good but do not give up when you are so close to the finish line. Aim to smash the externals to maximise your potential mark - you are not COMPLETELY screwed. Good luck.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
It depends on the quality of the cohort - although with that rank I believe you will unfortunately be dragged down quite a bit. Your internal mark may not look too good but do not give up when you are so close to the finish line. Aim to smash the externals to maximise your potential mark - you are not COMPLETELY screwed. Good luck.
But I read somewhere that your ranks determine your marks or something about moderated marks?

-unrelated comment- Do you not like Spiral? (sig)

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
But I read somewhere that your ranks determine your marks or something about moderated marks?

I'm not 100% accurate with this - best to ask either Ozko or more preferably Enoilgam since they understand the system better than I do.

I will leave your interpretation to answer that question =)

Examine

same
HSC

Basically your rank determines your internal mark. Your final mark is determined by the average of your internal mark, and your external mark (how you performed in the actual HSC).

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Correct me if I'm wrong though they determine your internal marks through ranks.

Since your coming 13th internally you will receive the 13th highest score in the cohort for that subject (for your internal mark).
I don't think this is how it works - although this is the common misconception.

Depending on the relative gaps between each rank, your internal mark will be adjusted accordingly.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't think this is how it works - although this is the common misconception.

Depending on the relative gaps between each rank, your internal mark will be adjusted accordingly.
This pretty much - First and last internally recieve the highest and lowest external marks as their internal mark, whilst the rest recieve a moderated mark based on their ranking and relative gaps between internal marks.

Hot potato

HSC
where do I sign up for membership. I was coming 14/100 for 3U maths then absolutely capitulated during trials and have ended up 56/100. I was a good 20% below the median for the trial, and what's worse is that it wasn't even that difficult I just inexplicably fucked up a fairly easy exam. Ah well, bring on the HSC i say I just want it to be over.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
hi 5 screwing up maths haha. not sure what my rank is but i was 7/90 before and definitely have dropped with the 75% i got :( Competing with 3U kids is not fun
where do I sign up for membership. I was coming 14/100 for 3U maths then absolutely capitulated during trials and have ended up 56/100. I was a good 20% below the median for the trial, and what's worse is that it wasn't even that difficult I just inexplicably fucked up a fairly easy exam. Ah well, bring on the HSC i say I just want it to be over.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
This pretty much - First and last internally recieve the highest and lowest external marks as their internal mark, whilst the rest recieve a moderated mark based on their ranking and relative gaps between internal marks.
Wait...Does that meant that unless you're 1st or last, then the mark that you get for internals is not the actual mark that you get but a moderated mark? What if you're close to last but perform spectacularly well on your externals, would you still get the 13th highest external mark from your school?

enoilgam

HSC
Wait...Does that meant that unless you're 1st or last, then the mark that you get for internals is not the actual mark that you get but a moderated mark? What if you're close to last but perform spectacularly well on your externals, would you still get the 13th highest external mark from your school?
The mark you recieve is a moderated mark, but coming 13th does NOT mean you revieve the 13th highest external mark (that only applies for first and last). You will receive a moderated mark based on your rank and the relative gaps between you and everyone else.

CommunityFan

HSC
I use to come first in economics and now I obliterate my rank cos I lost all my concentration studying properly xD, same with my other subjects

anyways I thx god this is trials not the real thing

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
The mark you recieve is a moderated mark, but coming 13th does NOT mean you revieve the 13th highest external mark (that only applies for first and last). You will receive a moderated mark based on your rank and the relative gaps between you and everyone else.
Oh.. right. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

I use to come first in economics and now I obliterate my rank cos I lost all my concentration studying properly xD, same with my other subjects

anyways I thx god this is trials not the real thing
Uh... trials are kinda worth a fair bit at our school, so it's a lot better if we did well, otherwise it could majorly screw up our internals.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
We learn wisdom from failure much more than success. We often discover what we will do, by finding out what we will not do. -Samuel Smiles

They can because they think they can. -Virgil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)