• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dr Pepper's "I had good ranks and screwed them with trials" Club (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In chem:
last year, 2/65
half yearly, 11/65
yearly, 13/65

The school set some dumb fucking assessments that dragged me down so much. Half yearly, gives us 20 questions before the exam and in the exam, asks 10. Great rote learning...

3rd assessment, a third was based on "planning" and bullshit like that.

I was 3rd in the trial where they didnt do anything retarded.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Started getting some of my ranks back, on the whole they are staying decent as many in my year did not like our trials. In one of my subjects, the average mark is a fail... Even though I underperformed on some trials, my assessment throughout the year was a good enough buffer :)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
So I have all my trial results now... I am quite disappointed in my marks in a few subjects...

But the thing is, I have done really well in internals (assessments, essays, in class, etc)

Does this mean I still have a chance to do reasonable well? (I know my trials are worth 10% for ext, 30-40% in others)

And i know I am going to do better in my HSC as I am attempting to have a positive attitude.

mizmimzie

HSC
GUYSSSSS
DOES LOWER RANKING MEANS getting the lower mark for hsc ?
Let's say my ranking dropped from 4th to 9th in a subject
Does that mean if I got 90 and the person who's coming first gets 70
Does that mean he will get my 90 (since its the highest mark) and I will get a a crappy 70 coz that the mark for the person who came 9th??

If that's the case I give up on hsc

Laughable

HSC
If it makes y'all feel better I got around 52~77% for my trials.
I punched the numbers in and it says my ATAR would be around 50.7 so I'm pretty much fucked... Unless I stop procrastinating which seems unlikely at this point. :/
I guess I shouldn't complain, I pretty much studied last minute for all my subjects. I tried skimming through Shipwrecks for Chem in the last 30 minutes before exams lol.

Last edited:

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
GUYSSSSS
DOES LOWER RANKING MEANS getting the lower mark for hsc ?
Let's say my ranking dropped from 4th to 9th in a subject
Does that mean if I got 90 and the person who's coming first gets 70
Does that mean he will get my 90 (since its the highest mark) and I will get a a crappy 70 coz that the mark for the person who came 9th??

If that's the case I give up on hsc
Sort of.

The top ranked student (internally) will receive the highest external mark as their moderated internal mark. (However, everyone keeps their own external mark)

Then rank 2 will receive the 2nd highest external mark as their moderated internal mark (ignoring the affect of gaps)

And this occurs on subsequent ranks.

For example.

Say a class of two students.

Student A & B

Student A is ranked 1st, B is ranked 2nd.

Student A scores a 70 externally, student B scores a 90 externally.

Student A will receive a 70 as their external mark, but because of his rank, he will receive the 90 as his internal moderated mark . Therefore his HSC mark will be (70+90)/2 = 80

Student B will receive a 90 as their external mark, but because of his rank, he will receive the 70 as his internal moderated mark. Therefore his HSC mark will be (90+70)/2= 80

This is how the process work. (Note, I am ignoring the effects of gaps between rankings and averages

Without flight

HSC
If it makes y'all feel better I got around 52~77% for my trials.
I punched the numbers in and it says my ATAR would be around 50.7 so I'm pretty much fucked... Unless I stop procrastinating which seems unlikely at this point. :/
I guess I shouldn't complain, I pretty much studied last minute for all my subjects. I tried skimming through Shipwrecks for Chem in the last 30 minutes before exams lol.
Averaging 50% in your HSC exams should AT LEAST give you 60. It's very difficult to get below that in my opinion.

Laughable

HSC
Averaging 50% in your HSC exams should AT LEAST give you 60. It's very difficult to get below that in my opinion.
My ranks are pretty terrible though so I'm definitely not gonna get 60 ATAR. Plus our cohort sucks! I got 73% in gen. maths without studying and the average was around 30-40%.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
My ranks are pretty terrible though so I'm definitely not gonna get 60 ATAR. Plus our cohort sucks! I got 73% in gen. maths without studying and the average was around 30-40%.
Make sure you ace the externals, and you should do fine.

Remember, you ranks have a huge impact upon your final mark.

Laughable

HSC
Make sure you ace the externals, and you should do fine.

Remember, you ranks have a huge impact upon your final mark.
Man I've been finding it really hard to feel motivated to study. We finally handed in our V.A. major last week so I've got basically nothing to do but study yet I still can't make myself do it. I have no excuse. :C Well I just started getting hayfever today (yay for spring...) so I guess that's an excuse hah.

HSC
N/A
7/57 in religion before trials
17/57 in religion now.

4/35 in maths 2u before trials
7/35 in maths 2u after trials

BOOM :cry:

RishBonjour

HSC
yaay fucked up 3u. 4th now.
and yaay 1st in 2u finally.

eat_well

HSC
12th in 2u maths, overall.
12th in English, just for trials (the average was less than 50%)
9th in Physics, overall.
4th in Business trials.
Aaaaand I did horribly in biology.

After trials, I've been slacking off HEAPS. I think I've burnt out or something. I'm not usually distracted so easily.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
12th in 2u maths, overall.
12th in English, just for trials (the average was less than 50%)
9th in Physics, overall.
4th in Business trials.
Aaaaand I did horribly in biology.
I slacked off for like two weeks after trials, turning 18 and freedom and going to the open days on the weekends enabled slacking off...
After trials, I've been slacking off HEAPS. I think I've burnt out or something. I'm not usually distracted so easily. Let's just work hard from now :)

enoilgam

HSC
I slacked off for like two weeks after trials, turning 18 and freedom and going to the open days on the weekends enabled slacking off...
After trials, I've been slacking off HEAPS. I think I've burnt out or something. I'm not usually distracted so easily. Let's just work hard from now :)
You have got to rally for team BoS!

RishBonjour

HSC
same here!
I told myself I would chill for 4 days and then start. Its been like 9 days. havent done crap

madharris

HSC
N/A
Just wondering
I did really well for half yearlies but stuffed some of my trials up

So does doing well in my externals increase my assessment marks, or does it only affect the HSC mark?

(Suprisingly, my worst subject for my halfyearlies (english), was the one I was most satisfied with in the trials)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)