• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drop to Standard because of the workload? (1 Viewer)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Why the fuck does BOS do this. My suggestion is that the BOS are racist and they know that most asians are not good in english so they would obviously choose standard like myself so that is why they make standard so low in scaling just to bring their mark down and try to screw with the atar system in every way they can.
55 in advanced is ~80

55 in standard is <70

Make your decision wisely.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Wow so no-one is an advocate of standard english? I guess it makes sense, even though 54% in a report seems like a good reason.. damn, that teacher is convincing... and just out of curiosity, why did they make english compulsory? I have a theory it's to stop all the basement asians from getting 99.95, but thats just me.
No, they make English compulsory because you pick up skills in it that can help you in real life, do you think a job interviewer will accept you if you speak like a monkey?

If Im going to be completely honest with you, for the benefit of your cohort, drop to standard, but because you shouldnt really care about the well-being and quality of your cohort, you can pick to be in it and decide to pull everyone down if you do poorly

So overall, if you are going to do Advanced English, make sure you do well otherwise it will be a giant headache for your teachers, yourself and your cohort. If you do it, do it good.

Also, Im not saying drop to Standard, but do Advanced and show enough effort where you can avoid getting 54%

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No, they make English compulsory because you pick up skills in it that can help you in real life, do you think a job interviewer will accept you if you speak like a monkey?

If Im going to be completely honest with you, for the benefit of your cohort, drop to standard, but because you shouldnt really care about the well-being and quality of your cohort, you can pick to be in it and decide to pull everyone down if you do poorly

So overall, if you are going to do Advanced English, make sure you do well otherwise it will be a giant headache for your teachers, yourself and your cohort. If you do it, do it good.

Also, Im not saying drop to Standard, but do Advanced and show enough effort where you can avoid getting 54%
While that's the logic behind it, I'm not a fan of it myself. I think there should be a greater emphasis on proper communication skills in other subjects (e.g. an stronger emphasis on teaching essay/report writing in other subjects).

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
While that's the logic behind it, I'm not a fan of it myself. I think there should be a greater emphasis on proper communication skills in other subjects (e.g. an stronger emphasis on teaching essay/report writing in other subjects).
YES. This. But English makes us learn so much more than we need if we're not going to pursue a career in that area eg. analysis of texts. And even if it is just for the life skills, why isnt say everyday maths a minimum compulsory subject, as it clearly has just as many real life applications?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Why the fuck does BOS do this. My suggestion is that the BOS are racist and they know that most asians are not good in english so they would obviously choose standard like myself so that is why they make standard so low in scaling just to bring their mark down and try to screw with the atar system in every way they can.
lol, I'm white and did standard English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
YES. This. But English makes us learn so much more than we need if we're not going to pursue a career in that area eg. analysis of texts. And even if it is just for the life skills, why isnt say everyday maths a minimum compulsory subject, as it clearly has just as many real life applications?
I to agree with this. HSC English is more focused upon analyzing texts, rather than focusing on communicating via essays and reports. Annoys me that this is the case.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Yes but then can we all say, 'hey people doing higher maths, your doing useless subjects that are useless to your life because you never need to know how expand binomials, or understand calculus or whatever, General maffs is the real stuff'
The point is, the subject of maths is there in order to train the mind with logical process, you need to know how to think logically in real life, even if that means understanding what conics are, or the logic behind calculus or whatever. All of this benefits the logical thinking process.

Likewise, English benefits the process of thinking that is analysis and creativity, in real life being able to analyse your own situation or come up with logical and creative solutions to problems is vital. Communications is just one thing of many that english can bring you. Although the Advanced syllabus is largely adorned with techniques and all of that, critical analysis is needed in all forms in order to succeed in English, and in order to train your mind to be able to think critically.

Rather than being the scientist that knows how everything but doesnt question, be the scientist that knows everything and questions what he knows through critical analysis.

If people understand the benefits and skills they pick up when they do Maths and English, people would enjoy them a bit more.

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
Higher English or Maths are definitely not useless, but just saying, if such a level of english is compulsory for creative thinking, why is there not a minimum level of maths to develop logical thinking? I just think that the advanced and even standard courses are above what is necessary in terms of learning life skills and developing your thinking

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Higher English or Maths are definitely not useless, but just saying, if such a level of english is compulsory for creative thinking, why is there not a minimum level of maths to develop logical thinking? I just think that the advanced and even standard courses are above what is necessary in terms of learning life skills and developing your thinking
Hah, Im not saying the Board of Studies is always right, I reckon General Maths should at least be compulsory (in my opinion). I mean look at the horrible science syllabuses (syllabi?), its a good representation of the incompetence of the Board of Studies.
They also restrict english as well, with having to shovel techniques left right and centre. But the basic skills are quite useful.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes but then can we all say, 'hey people doing higher maths, your doing useless subjects that are useless to your life because you never need to know how expand binomials, or understand calculus or whatever, General maffs is the real stuff'
The point is, the subject of maths is there in order to train the mind with logical process, you need to know how to think logically in real life, even if that means understanding what conics are, or the logic behind calculus or whatever. All of this benefits the logical thinking process.

Likewise, English benefits the process of thinking that is analysis and creativity, in real life being able to analyse your own situation or come up with logical and creative solutions to problems is vital. Communications is just one thing of many that english can bring you. Although the Advanced syllabus is largely adorned with techniques and all of that, critical analysis is needed in all forms in order to succeed in English, and in order to train your mind to be able to think critically.

Rather than being the scientist that knows how everything but doesnt question, be the scientist that knows everything and questions what he knows through critical analysis.

If people understand the benefits and skills they pick up when they do Maths and English, people would enjoy them a bit more.
the difference is -- maths isn't compulsory.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hah, Im not saying the Board of Studies is always right, I reckon General Maths should at least be compulsory (in my opinion). I mean look at the horrible science syllabuses (syllabi?), its a good representation of the incompetence of the Board of Studies.
They also restrict english as well, with having to shovel techniques left right and centre. But the basic skills are quite useful.
the chemistry syllabus isn't bad.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
the chemistry syllabus isn't bad.
Well of course there has to be good parts Chemistry, and whatever is good in the Chemistry syllabus, I love it. Not this socio-economic Chemistry, or Physics-History etc etc

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well of course there has to be good parts Chemistry, and whatever is good in the Chemistry syllabus, I love it. Not this socio-economic Chemistry, or Physics-History etc etc
But the whole point of scientists is for "the betterment of society" or whatever.

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
omg the history component of the physics syllabus, especially in electricity. So pointless. The Socio-economic part of Chem i can understand, as it relates to economically practical and viable methods in industrial chemistry, but the history they make you learn in physics...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
omg the history component of the physics syllabus, especially in electricity. So pointless. The Socio-economic part of Chem i can understand, as it relates to economically practical and viable methods in industrial chemistry, but the history they make you learn in physics...
You are neglecting that history and philosophy of science is a thing at Uni and there is no subject for it at high school, and it improves a person as a scientist to have that extra knowledge of other scientists.

It's about as rounded as it can be. It covers mot of the basis without going into the detail Uni will.

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
It's a thing at uni? Did not know that. Ok, so now that makes sense, while we're on the topic of Unis, I notice that law degrees have super-high ATAR requirements where things like engineering or science have comparatively low ones. Is this because of higher demand for law degrees or because they are harder? If both, which one is a larger factor?

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
It's a thing at uni? Did not know that. Ok, so now that makes sense, while we're on the topic of Unis, I notice that law degrees have super-high ATAR requirements where things like engineering or science have comparatively low ones. Is this because of higher demand for law degrees or because they are harder? If both, which one is a larger factor?
ATAR has no relevance to difficulty.

The ATAR is high due to demand and the fact most people use bonus points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)