Drop to Standard because of the workload? (1 Viewer)

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
Hey
I was told by an english teacher that it might be more practical to drop down to standard given that my workload next year will be pretty big: MX1, Physics, Chem, Engineering studies, possibly MX2. My marks have been pretty crap for english so far, but I'm pretty sure i can pick it up if I give it a lot of time. However, this might divert me from my other subjects. Despite this,, reading through the BOS forums, plenty of people are saying don;t do standard no matter what because its so hard to get a good band.
Thoughts?

Thief

!!
HSC
Loving your avatar.

And yes, I think everyone here would agree on the point that you should never drop to standard if you have the choice. It's pretty difficult to get a band 6 in it, compared to advanced. Stick with what you've got =)

deswa1

HSC
DON'T DO STANDARD

The workload is pretty similar to advanced but the aligning is SO much worse- please, please, please don't. Just some stats for you- iirc, last year something like 65 out of 32,000 people in the STATE got a B6 in standard.

aceer

HSC
DON'T DO STANDARD

The workload is pretty similar to advanced but the aligning is SO much worse- please, please, please don't. Just some stats for you- iirc, last year something like 65 out of 32,000 people in the STATE got a B6 in standard.
yes but wouldn't that be so because most students who like/are good at english pick advanced?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The workload for standard is the same as advanced.

And to get 90+ in standard you need to be able to get at least 90+ in advanced.

Don't drop.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yes but wouldn't that be so because most students who like/are good at english pick advanced?
nooooooo.

I got ~35/45 in paper 1, which was my lower paper, and I only got 86 in standard. (if I did advanced, with my raw marks I would've gotten 91+)

2xL

HSC
Tell that teacher to fuck off and that you're gonna camp in advanced forever.

aceer

HSC
nooooooo.

I got ~35/45 in paper 1, which was my lower paper, and I only got 86 in standard. (if I did advanced, with my raw marks I would've gotten 91+)
geez is that because of the aligning? scaling?

i picked standard because I thought I would do badly because of how I went last year but so far I have been getting 85% on average..

madharris

HSC
N/A
As previously stated, the advanced workload is the same as standard

the only difference is that they are easier texts (and that it aligns shit!)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
geez is that because of the aligning? scaling?

i picked standard because I thought I would do badly because of how I went last year but so far I have been getting 85% on average..
I think first in my year got ~88% in school.

Externally he got 81. :/

Try and get into advanced ASAP.

As previously stated, the advanced workload is the same as standard

the only difference is that they are easier texts (and that it aligns shit!)
Yes.

I disagree that the texts are easier, because there is less shit of substance to talk about and your pretty much pulling stuff out of your arse.

Memento-mori

HSC
Never drop to Standard.
Just because you may be in the bottom 10 in Advanced doesn't automatically mean that you are going to be in the top 10 in Standard. This is what bugs me: teachers, board of studies, etc lie about scaling, aligning, etc. Fact: Standard KILLS your ATAR. Unless you are going to be in the top 65. Which is incredibly hard.

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
Hey
So an english teacher told me I should drop to standard English for next year because
a) My marks aren't exactly top notch (I could probably improve if i put heaps of time into it, though it might divert me from my other subjects)
b) Apparently the workload for my subjects next year will be massive: MX1, MX2, Physics, Chem, Engineering (considering dropping engineering)
What he said made sense, but reading through the BOS forums, no-one should do standard no matter what. And by not top notch, I mean like 55%ish on my halfyearly report.
Thoughts?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey
So an english teacher told me I should drop to standard English for next year because
a) My marks aren't exactly top notch (I could probably improve if i put heaps of time into it, though it might divert me from my other subjects)
b) Apparently the workload for my subjects next year will be massive: MX1, MX2, Physics, Chem, Engineering (considering dropping engineering)
What he said made sense, but reading through the BOS forums, no-one should do standard no matter what. And by not top notch, I mean like 55%ish on my halfyearly report.
Thoughts?

Please don't drop if you know what's good for yourself.

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
oh sorry couldnt find it again thought i dced while uploading

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
Wow so no-one is an advocate of standard english? I guess it makes sense, even though 54% in a report seems like a good reason.. damn, that teacher is convincing... and just out of curiosity, why did they make english compulsory? I have a theory it's to stop all the basement asians from getting 99.95, but thats just me.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
55 in advanced is ~80

55 in standard is <70

Make your decision wisely.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I did standard and it was the worst thing ever.

The teacher was retarded.

The texts were mind-numbingly boring.

The aligning is stupid.

The scaling is shit.

Internal marking is shit.

Shit, shit, shit.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
I would not do standard.

As a standard student- Yes I managed to get a good rank. But only because all the good students do Advance.

Standard aligns poorly, and honestly the only difference between Advance and Standard is the texts you study in paper 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)