Dropping a degree (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
rand0m3r said:
just out of interest pace, why did you choose soft eng./comm. in the first place? i mean changing degree plans in the first session happens to a lot of us, but the words "software" and "engineering" quite blatantly imply tough, technical sort of work. i'm surprised that you were expecting something different...
i chose soft eng iniitally cos i had an interest in comptuers
but after the classes n stuff i realised that i dont wnat to sit in front of a computer all day for the rest of my working life
i knew it was going to be harder than other degree but i didnt expect it to be that hard
i lost interest in computers now anyway...

HSC
dont lie you dodgy italian, your just doing it so you can scam on the ladies and say that you just do 'commerce' knowing if you include software engineering they'll label you a nerd :p

rand0m3r

HSC
i don't know much about this new subject but 1st yr COMP labs were never a breeze (besides the first 1 or 2). you can easily fall behind when your assignments start pouring in aswell.

and i'm not sure about this lab partner business. for something like programming, you should try to work on ur own as much as possible, ur partner will prolly just distract you.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
politik said:
Pace is my COMP1911 partner - and we seriously die every week during the labs...
From my experience, to avoid dying, prepare and do the labs before coming for labs. You will ace everybody else this way and everybody who survived 1711 last year will tell you preparation really helps.
Regarding Pace's comments about SENG'ers staring at the comp screen 24/7, I'd beg to differ. While SENG'ers work hard (and seldom sleeps :p), they are not your typical computer-screen-staring-nbtd-nerd. SENG is still cool, but if Commerce is all you ever want to do, then it's ok. Because I'm greedy and can never make hard decisions, I took both :p.

elfm

HSC
i was in a similiar situation to you when i finished my hsc. i had an interest in computers (i liked playing games and surfing the net lol)and really wanted to do something to do something with computers in uni, but my UAI didn't allow me to get into any of the good computing courses. when i started uni, i had a computing subject to do and i absolutely hated it. just staring at the screen for half your day trying to figure out what you did wrong or how the code works just isn't my cup of tea. at that very moment i'm glad i didn't do really well in the hsc :)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
You know, my software engineering workshop today just expressed his vision of the future.. where computer science is taught as an elementary school subject.

All the academics would agree, and I would agree. Had you been exposed to things like this, everything would have been easy :p, but I understand many people will naturally be opposed to this idea.

rand0m3r

HSC
i was actually luckily enough to be taught how to convert decimal numbers to binary numbers in year 10. but then when i did ipt in yr 11 and yr 12, we went backwards and started rote learning the textbook again

HSC
Pace_T said:
i chose soft eng iniitally cos i had an interest in comptuers
but after the classes n stuff i realised that i dont wnat to sit in front of a computer all day for the rest of my working life
i knew it was going to be harder than other degree but i didnt expect it to be that hard
i lost interest in computers now anyway...
you dont happen to have light brown hair and hang around esmes did you? was that you i met?

Pace_T

HSC
Casmira said:
dont lie you dodgy italian, your just doing it so you can scam on the ladies and say that you just do 'commerce' knowing if you include software engineering they'll label you a nerd :p
holey shit cas
you're absolutely right
there's no girls in COMP!!!!
when i went to the intro for comm in o week there were so many bellas!!!!

nah that wasn't me that you met. never heard of esmes lol
but eventually ill come across u i know exactly what you look like, provided that you're doing the famous eyebrow raise :p

Pace_T

HSC
oh also;
today i spoke to the student central (part of the chancellery or something like that)
got the run around including to the commerce student centre
then finally i went back to the commerce student centre and this different lady served me. she just told me to fill out this form that stated what degree i was doing and what i plan to do (i remember reading things like changing from BCom/BSc to BCom (or whatever) and stuff like that). she said that because im already in commerce i dont have to go thru UAC anymore. all i have to do is fill out that form (which was pretty short) and then drop 3 of my subjects online whenever i want and thats it.
still unclear about the issues of staying as a full time student, getting refunded for 3 of my subjects and when exactly will my.unsw and things like that show me as a student for comm.

thanks for the replies.

EDIT: oh and i forgot to mention . i thinki it was an orange sheet. didnt need much filling in if u ask me..

Last edited:
HSC
oh you have no idea! my MSP program is full of bella's/kouklas! and they'll all be doing QMA next semester and since it'll be such a small number likely too be in their class woo!

do you find in at least every lecture your in, theres always at least 1 girl that is decent that sticks out? i do for all mine, even tutes strangely enough D:

if you ever walk past the psychology rooms or dance rooms, youll seriously explode! i havent seen that many blondes since cronulla

Pace_T

HSC
bro when r u gonna show me these girls
theres no hot girls in any of my classes except for math1131 which has soo many hot bellas in the lectures
maybe thats why im keeping 1131, or is it just a coincidence? :p

hey wats MSP ?

HSC
mathematics skills program, for those who didnt do upto 2u maths requirement for qma

maybe they're all just attracted too greeks rather than you dodgy italians :D

Pace_T

HSC
Casmira said:
maybe they're all just attracted too greeks rather than you dodgy italians :D
bullshit!!
this is all you need to know for your inequality topic in MSP
italians > greeks
:p

HSC
but since you can multiply as many italians as being negative, then you better switch the sign

italians < greeks

:D

Pace_T

HSC
Casmira said:
but since you can multiply as many italians as being negative, then you better switch the sign

italians < greeks

:D
u mean
-italians < -greeks
anything not greek is greater than anything not italian
doesn't prove your point there, buddy :p
i win i win

as for my progress for switching over..
i am currently a parttime student now, doing 1 subject (math1131) and my.unsw has just changed me over to commerce.
now i have to choose sem 1 year 1 comm subjects for sem 2 this year
now i have to choose some plan or something like accounting/actuarial studies etc etc
oh and as for fees, tomrrow i have to talk to the financial help thing for students - they can roll over the fees for next sem courses (3 courses worth) which is pretty good.

EDIT: oh, also since im doing math1131, this will count as a gen ed if i do QMA for semester 2 this year (my first semester of commerce) right?
also what does it mean by this for Quantitative Methods A - ECON1202:
"Enrolment Requirements:
Excluded: MATH1031, MATH1011, MATH1021, MATH1131, MATH1231, MATH1141, MATH1241, ECON2291 "
from the page - http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2006/ECON1202.html

thanks.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
It means that if you do 1131, then you can't do QMA.

Pace_T

HSC
Raginsheep said:
It means that if you do 1131, then you can't do QMA.
Does that mean 1131 replaces QMA?
if so, my first semester of the first year, instead of doing QMA, i'd be doing QMB?
thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)