Dropping from advanced english to standard english (1 Viewer)

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
I know many people may have previously asked this question but i seriously need some advice. I scored 84 for my school certificate last year and i chose advanced english. In my speech assesment task, i got 11/20 ranking 22/24 in the class. since then the two below me have dropped. I have since got 2/10 for an essay on film study which did not go towards anything but has blown my confidence. I

I am aiming for a 90+ atar and i would like to know if dropping to standard english would help me reach a higher atar. My subjects are physics, chem, maths, maths ext, studies of religion.
Also is the standard course similar to my current advanced course and just overall should i drop or not. My half-yearlies are next week and i am lacking confidence going into it being last in the class.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Your SC score indicates you certainly have the aptitude for Advanced English. For all your yr 11 assessment tasks thus far, did you really put in 100%? Also can you see where you went wrong, they could be the two biggest learning curve assessments ever that teach you for the future. Also even if you are coming last in your class, you are prob beating others in your year.

I say stick in and see how the rest of Yr 11 goes (I mean we are half way through Yr 11) but if you honestly try and still find Adv. too difficult, drop to Standard. Don't be rash because you cannot go back up. Now I think it's irrelevant which level of English you do because, either way you would want to improve your english to get a 90+ ATAR. (How are your other subs going?)So even though you may get (hypothetical numbers) 60 in Adv., but 75 in Standard scaling will really round out the effect on your ATAR. Such a small percentage of standard english people achieve band 6. However, if Standard Eng takes up less of your time so you can really refine your science/maths which could drag your whole ATAR up despite English being a deadweight.

What set up do your half yearlies have?

annagurl

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, you should do advanced english. There isn't much difference between the standard and advanced course, from what i've heard. I've friends who have dropped to standard, and they tell me it's a big mistake. I think you should do your half yearlies and see how you go :)

Gigacube

HSC
It takes more effort to get a higher mark in standard than it does in advanced. You do an AOS for both English subjects but the second module is different. In advanced you do a critical study of a text were as in standard you do a close study of a text. In advanced you really need to understand the text as you analyse it a lot more in depth than you would in standard.

I recommend you staying in advanced.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
the scaling of standard is ridiculously BAD, so ATAR-wise , don't do it !

you can get a really decent ATAR with your subjects, even if you don't do as well in english, either std/adv
you can get any ATAR with any subjects

Deep Blue

HSC
You have the wrong mindset. Instead of thinking: I stuffed up those tasks, I am coming last in the class, i should move down.
Think: I didn't do too well there, I should ask the teacher where I went wrong, address my weakness and work to get a better mark next time.

jessxxr

HSC
i think you should definitely stay, sure you probably get marked easier in standard, but in the end (if you decide to stay in advanced) i'm sure you'll feel much more happier and accomplished than you probably think you would :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)