catdijon

HSC
I currently have 13 units and I don't think my school allows 13 units + I don't know if I can even handle it. I was thinking of dropping either history extension (which I just picked up), SOR, or Maths Extension 1. I don't know if I can handle history extension in all honesty it seems extremely demanding even if i havent really started, sor is a very safe subject but I dont know if i'll enjoy the content as much as History Extension or the class and my math marks fluctuate a lot so I'm in a bit of a bind. My other subjects I could drop are chemistry, modern, ancient, maths adv with maths ext. I also don't know what I really want to do in Uni yet so please help!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you taking Studies of Religion I or Studies of Religion II?

An informed decision in your case necessitates a balance between subject enjoyment/interest and favourable academic performance prospects. ⚖

Regarding History Extension, are you sure that the time you spent and the content you covered so far is sufficient in determining that History Extension would not be a subject that you want to take/keep in year 12? Have you considered giving this subject additional time and then determining whether or not to keep it? I personally believe that, if possible, giving this subject a bit more time will allow you to make a more informed and beneficial decision.

In terms of SOR, you mentioned it is a very safe subject. The emphasis here is on the word "safe" because it indicates a very positive assertion about this subject coming from you. The apparent problem is that you are unsure as to whether you will enjoy HSC SOR content as much as History Extension content, making this a more difficult decision to make. However, based on the way you described SOR (very safe) and considering the fact that you believe that History Extension will be highly demanding, I believe that academic performance prospects should be prioritised here. It definitely seems like you will be able to perform better in SOR than you would in History Extension, suggesting that you should drop History Extension.

It is also important to consider the fact that you are already taking Modern History and Ancient History, meaning that you will not miss out on a significant History component by dropping History Extension as you will still be taking 2 HSC History subjects. Lastly, I personally don't think you should drop Mathematics Extension 1 because considering the information you have provided (your performance in maths tends to fluctuate), you certainly have a good chance of ensuring consistently favourable performance in maths, which I believe would follow a much more clear, linear approach (i.e. study strategy/method) than that required for History Extension.

I hope this helps! 😄

specificagent1

HSC
i do history extension, i recommend that you stick with it a bit more because it certainly is a difficult subject and the learning curve is tough, but given that year 12 just begun for you i reckon you should stay with it for a bit more to get a feel of what it is. Once you get the grasp of it, it would be fine

zizi2003_

HSC
I currently have 13 units and I don't think my school allows 13 units + I don't know if I can even handle it. I was thinking of dropping either history extension (which I just picked up), SOR, or Maths Extension 1. I don't know if I can handle history extension in all honesty it seems extremely demanding even if i havent really started, sor is a very safe subject but I dont know if i'll enjoy the content as much as History Extension or the class and my math marks fluctuate a lot so I'm in a bit of a bind. My other subjects I could drop are chemistry, modern, ancient, maths adv with maths ext. I also don't know what I really want to do in Uni yet so please help!
keep history extension. it also scales higher than sor.
the content is not really 'hard' per say. I find it easier than ancient history in terms of content load haha

nourished.

HSC
I'd say drop history ext and one history, leaving you with 10 units. SOR is very easy. Maths is a matter of mind numbingly doing papers. Chem isn't so rote focused. History is more rote focused. Eng is also more rote focused.

catdijon

HSC
After talking to a few people and the fact that I think I have a two weeks to decide, i'll take in all your advice just to try out my subjects!! Thank you for replying :D However I realised I really don't know if i'm keeping maths ext 1 just because I go to a selective school and everyone keeps it? I dont know whats helping or harming me really and theres so much imposter syndrome as well thats why i'm not confident in what i think are a solid 10 units that are made up of my 5 2unit subjects. That plus i think I focus too much on the stigma that we should immediately get into med or engineering or a degree that would get me a job with a lot of money. Thats literally all i've known in my life to go towards those?

vishnay

God
HSC
After talking to a few people and the fact that I think I have a two weeks to decide, i'll take in all your advice just to try out my subjects!! Thank you for replying :D However I realised I really don't know if i'm keeping maths ext 1 just because I go to a selective school and everyone keeps it? I dont know whats helping or harming me really and theres so much imposter syndrome as well thats why i'm not confident in what i think are a solid 10 units that are made up of my 5 2unit subjects. That plus i think I focus too much on the stigma that we should immediately get into med or engineering or a degree that would get me a job with a lot of money. Thats literally all i've known in my life to go towards those?
i know very few people that do well after dropping mx1

that's not to say u shouldn't if u think it would be unsustainable to keep doing mx1 but the general trend at my school is there are few people who do drop mx1 and then go on to do well in all their other subjects

i also know someone who graduated last year who kept mx1 despite ranking well below avg and still got an e4 because of externals so i think if ur somewhat of a competent maths student u should keep mx1 until at least term 2

EDIT: by below average i mean bottom 20% of cohort but he still did well enough in externals to e4 (although it didn't end up counting)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That plus i think I focus too much on the stigma that we should immediately get into med or engineering or a degree that would get me a job with a lot of money. Thats literally all i've known in my life to go towards those?
This is why it is important that you start thinking deeply about what you are passionate about. Such reflection obviously won't instantly yield results. You should take your time and start to compare different fields of study/degrees and based on this, determine your ambitions and where you see yourself in terms of tertiary studies and ultimately your career/employment prospects. Medicine and Engineering are not the only industries that pay well. There are a number of other fields in which you can guarantee favourable financial outcomes. With that being said, while pay is important, it shouldn't be made a priority, because you shouldn't be studying/working in a field that you don't embrace and enjoy. Another important consideration is that an increased salary is something that you will eventually gain as you become more experienced and work in more important positions.

zizi2003_

HSC
remember that you can do well with ANY combination of subjects, especially in a selective school (unless your school restricts you from taking certain subjects). my school's dux from last year (who got an ATAR of 99.5) did the typical 'low scaling' subjects like PDHPE, histories, etc - basically no sciences or math. I myself completely dropped out of 3U math and picked up history ext and am so relieved lmao
don't keep 3U solely because everyone does it and so you think it's a way for you to fit in - think about whether you're doing relatively well in it and whether youre passionate about it

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Just to add my 2 cents. MX1 is worth it more than just the arbitrary scaling, you'll find advanced becomes way more easier as you study the subject since it quite literally, an extension, as it expands on what you do in Advanced. With MX1 you will do more challenging 2U type questions and you're doing double the work, 2U + 3U, so naturally you're going to invest a lot of time but you'll be rewarded in both areas. The only new topics in 3U are vectors, everything else you're just expanding on from year 11 so you can be efficient in how you manage your time. Personally I've been able to cover 2U, 3U together since they overlap well, and it hasn't taken me extensive time but we're different people so I can't gauge whether 2U + 3U would be effective.

I think there are great points made above by vishnay and zizi but its ultimately up to you and what you plan to do. Both are well enjoyed subjects in their own regards, so perhaps if you are stronger in your humanities than maths, you might favour History Ext and vice versa.

vishnay

God
HSC
The only new topics in 3U are vectors, everything else you're just expanding on from year 11 so you can be efficient in how you manage your time.
+ induction integration and differential equations which are completely new for the most part

you'll find advanced becomes way more easier as you study the subject since it quite literally, an extension, as it expands on what you do in Advanced
but yeah i think that if ur a competent maths student who wants to take advantage of the scaling and ur not too confident in ur other subjects then doing 3u is a good idea (helps with 2u and is mostly just grind)

if it doesn't end up working out u always have the chance to drop it later

Last edited:

catdijon

HSC
UPDATE: I think my school has allowed me to do 13 units for now! Any tips on handling this workload?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)