Dropping to Standard (1 Viewer)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Standard is not an easier subject, that is really just a common preconception in my opinion. Your chances of getting a band 6 in Standard are significantly lower than getting a band 6 in Advanced (you are looking for 14/15 in each paper-1 section and 18/20 in each module section as a minimum) so yeah just try really hard and don't drop.

I have been in Standard for a few years now and when advanced kids moved down to Standard their grades typically didn't change.

Most of the time you find that Band 6 Standard kids could comfortably fit in the very top end of Advanced

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no difference in standard or advanced. I might even go to say there's not much difference in extension 1 as well - they just 'expect' more. But it's all really the same. It's English. Essays.
they expect more as you go down

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Standard is also geared at students with low ATAR aims, so if you drop be ready to become part of a disruptive class and have fun self teaching yourself most of the content

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard is also geared at students with low ATAR aims, so if you drop be ready to become part of a disruptive class and have fun self teaching yourself most of the content
inb4 ur in the class with all the students that dropped from advanced and your class is smashing everyone else

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
inb4 ur in the class with all the students that dropped from advanced and your class is smashing everyone else
My class with 1 advanced dropout outperformed the class with >5 in every single exam. The entire top 7 of Standard consisted of only Standard students from the beginning (and if you are not in the top 5 of Standard English ripatar)

Last edited:

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
My class with 1 advanced dropout outperformed the class with >5 in every single exam. The entire top 7 of Standard consisted of only Standard students from the beginning (and if you are not in the top 5 of Standard English ripatar)
we had a class with all advanced dropouts gg standard.

Streetcarcity

HSC
Holy wow completely forgot I made this post but I made the drop and did relatively alright (85 for HSC Standard). But it was one hell of a ride in standard so yeah I think standard+advanced are relatively similar and definitely should've stayed in advanced but I got my ATAR goal so hurrah. Thx for replies ayee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)