Duke of Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

bobos2

HSC
I was conemplating whether to do the Duke of Ed award...and i wanna ask has any1 here done it? Is it worth all the time to get the award?
Lol...so confusing...:confused:

yer8899

HSC
DOE's good. im completing gold at the moment. it looks good on your resume and shows that you have good team and leadership skills. the hikes are really easy and it doesnt really take that long to complete.

p.s just make all the community and service up. noone checks it except on gold.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
It's really fun and it's worthwhile. Some people just do it to have it on the resume: but you don't get as much out of it unless you challenge yourself and actually put the effort in.

Expeditions is the group bit:
In bronze if you do it through school you probably would do hiking, but after that if there are enough people that agree to do it, you can pick different modes of transport like kayaking or mountain-biking etc.

It really is worth it.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I definately wish I had done it back in year 9 when I was asked.

Oh well

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i'm glad i didn't do it. it's such a waste of time. you could be playing something instead, yr 10 is your last year of relaxation.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
foram said:
no way, who would want to do community service?

To give back and show your appreciation towards the community that has nourished you throughout your life? To do a good deed, to make a change, to feel you have made a difference? To contribute to helping the needs of those less fortunate than you? To gain skills in leadership, broaden your awareness of issues affecting society?
I don't think you could have asked an easier question.

You're not going to get anywhere only thinking about youself. :rolleyes:

selablad

HSC
I do it, and it really hasn't taken up all that much time. You have heaps of time to do it, so it's not like all your time gets taken up, unless you really want to do it in the minimum time. I started in year 10 (Bronze) and am about halfway through my last bit (6 months skill). I just did each bit at a time, and it's really good.

And expeditions are always fun, they are kinda like school camps except way less structured and you have to plan everything yourself, which can get a bit stressful arguing with your friends about who's bringing what, but once you've done it you have a great sense of achievement. That applies to the whole course.

I say you should do it, you can do as much or as little as you like and it is really interesting trying something new.

Jess007

HSC
i went on my final gold hike to the snowy mountains about a month ago...so since year 9 ive been doing it ( obviously)

it took up practically no time. mine was really fun aswell.. one of my best mates came out of duke, went in not knowing her and now shes practically a sister. so it opens your social network and allows u to get to know people you wouldnt normally. and on the last hike , a chick from another school came ( coz her school didnt offer gold) and now shes also one of my besties..so i really encourage u to do it

it takes up hardly anytime either... its so good!! ahh im so sad its over:(:(

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Duke of Ed is awesome, it's heaps fun - especially when you have a group of friends doing it with you. It's good for your resume and all that, but try to do it just for the experience. :)

yer8899

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
I definately wish I had done it back in year 9 when I was asked.

Oh well
you can still do it, you just have to do slightly more CAS and activites for it (im assuming your years doing silver at the moment)
just ask the DOE leader if you can join.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I should've done it back in Year 9. Sounds interesting. :\

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Yeah, I should've done it back in Year 9. Sounds interesting. :\
I did in year 9 and I think this is one of the most overrated scheme. I find this so boring and have absolutely no commitments to continue.

It might suit you if you are commited to do 30 hours of community service, 15 hours of sports and skills and camp. They increase in terms of amount as you go to higher level (i.e. silver, gold).

bobos2

HSC
oh thanxx guys...i think ima do it! i hope they select me! =)

bobos2

HSC
oh n i esp like the sound of the groupwork bit... i love meetin new ppls! aha..yes...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
I did in year 9 and I think this is one of the most overrated scheme. I find this so boring and have absolutely no commitments to continue.

It might suit you if you are commited to do 30 hours of community service, 15 hours of sports and skills and camp. They increase in terms of amount as you go to higher level (i.e. silver, gold).
I managed to avoid community service and just complete a first aid course. :p Don't think you can do that now though... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)