• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Economics Marathon (3 Viewers)

gunat61

HSC
2002 HSC:
Briefly explain how the RBA could intervene in the foreign exchange market to influence the $A. (3 marks

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
2002 HSC:
Briefly explain how the RBA could intervene in the foreign exchange market to influence the $A. (3 marks
The RBA could intervene in the FOREX through the process of 'Dirtying the float'.

When the RBA feels that a large short term change in the exchange rate is needed maybe due to excessive speculation or other threatening factors in the economy, they may act as a buyer or seller in the FOREX in order to stablise the value of the Australian dollar ($QAUD).

To stop a depreciation the RBA will buy $AUD, putting upward pressure on the exchange rate.

On the other hand, by selling $AUD the rba will be able to put a downward pressure on the AUD to stop a rapid appreciation and cause a depreciation.

gunat61

HSC
Yep good work lol!
i know it's my turn but .. i have some questions cos i've forgotten this ..... =\
how do you calculate simple multiplier with figures .. not MPC
Also,
Outline how the simple multiplier can affect economic activity. (2 marks)

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep good work lol!
i know it's my turn but .. i have some questions cos i've forgotten this ..... =\
how do you calculate simple multiplier with figures .. not MPC
Also,
Outline how the simple multiplier can affect economic activity. (2 marks)

Im not sure for the first one "How do calculate simple multiple with figures not mpc" it's a bit vague o_O..

But you just use a bit of algebra for it :)...

Although second question:

The simple expenditure in the economy is the extent to which an initial changes in aggregate demand is multiplied to give a larger change in the equilibrium level of national income. EG autonomous consumption or investment expenditure.

gunat61

HSC
lol yes but how exactly does it affect economic activity?

artosis

HSC
Didnt krnofdrg answer it? How does the multiplier affect eco activity? isnt it just govt spending?

An initial spending by the government will result in a direct, more than proportional increase in spending. Due to the multiplier theory by Keynes or w/e. Economic activity increases when spending occurs, government spending promotes further consumer spending, hence it accelerates economic activity for a short period of time.

hup

HSC
N/A
lol yes but how exactly does it affect economic activity?
when money is injected into the economy, the effect isnt one off, because when the money is spent on whatever, the person receiving the money doesnt save all of it. This person will save some of it (measured by MPS) and spend the rest (MPC), and the person who receives this money does the same thing, and so the process continues. (the initial increase has a multiplied effect on national income)
This doesnt continue forever though, because some of it is being saved each time, and eventually there will be nothing left to spend. The number of 'rounds' of spending an initial injection stimulates is measured by the multiplier. eg
when the multiplier increases, it means MPS is down and MPC is up (k=1/MPS - if MPS goes down k becomes bigger). then it means that each time, a small proportion is being saved while a large proportion is being spent, so the spending continues for a longer period of time.

artosis

HSC
Income is the amount of money that is earned over a period of time. Ie; a flow of funds
Wealth is the value of the assets that person owns in at a given time. Ie;Assets, goods, etc

Wealth is generated by income.

Aindan

HSC
Income is the amount of money that is earned over a period of time. Ie; a flow of funds
Wealth is the value of the assets that person owns in at a given time. Ie;Assets, goods, etc

Wealth is generated by income.
You should probably be more technical in your use of economic terms, i.e. Income is the return earned from the four factors of production over a period of time.

Aindan

HSC
Q: Explain the ways the RBA can influence Australia's exchange rate.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Q: Explain the ways the RBA can influence Australia's exchange rate.
Dirtying the float - buy/sell AUD in the FOREX market
Monetary policy - increase demand for AUD by raising interest rates, vice versa

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Briefly evaluate the effectiveness of ONE stategy that has been used to promote economic development in a country other than Australia?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Briefly evaluate the effectiveness of ONE stategy that has been used to promote economic development in a country other than Australia?
China - Open Door Policy (1980), special economic zones created, attracts MNCs and FDI due to cheap labour, low taxes, less regulation = very effective as trade in imports/exports grew from 10% of GNP in 1978 to 36% by 1996

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
China - Open Door Policy (1980), special economic zones created, attracts MNCs and FDI due to cheap labour, low taxes, less regulation = very effective as trade in imports/exports grew from 10% of GNP in 1978 to 36% by 1996
Nice :)...

Can an export-oriented strategy by also a valid answer for this, but this is for South Korea..

South Korea used Export-oriented Industrialization in 60's-70's by opening domestic markets to foreign competition in exchange for market access in other countries this led -->> huge investment and etc in the economy -> Development

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Nice :)...

Can an export-oriented strategy by also a valid answer for this, but this is for South Korea..

South Korea used Export-oriented Industrialization in 60's-70's by opening domestic markets to foreign competition in exchange for market access in other countries this led -->> huge investment and etc in the economy -> Development
Yes that's fine I believe.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Let's get this going again?

Discuss TWO economic benefits and TWO economic costs from an appreciation in the $A (4 marks)
2006 CSSA

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Let's get this going again?

Discuss TWO economic benefits and TWO economic costs from an appreciation in the $A (4 marks)
2006 CSSA
Benefits
-decreases servicing costs on foreign debt - help reduce CAD
-inflationary pressures reduced as imports are cheaper

Costs
-valuation effect - loss of $A value of foreign assets
-loss of international competitiveness as Aus exports are more expensive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)