• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Economics or Legal Studies? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Thats the other thing about economics, you need to keep up with current information. This is tough considering that conditions change constantly, meaning your notes can go out of date quickly. As mentioned above, up until a couple of months ago, the dollar was high, but now it is falling. This has several key economic ramifications which you will need to know.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats the other thing about economics, you need to keep up with current information. This is tough considering that conditions change constantly, meaning your notes can go out of date quickly. As mentioned above, up until a couple of months ago, the dollar was high, but now it is falling. This has several key economic ramifications which you will need to know.
True :p.........

Why did the dollar depreciate suddenly though?????????????? Noooooo.. my purchasing power is down now... and im going overseas in 40 days >.<........

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i personally HATE eco. With a passion. But it is really easy to do well in, and it scales okay.

depends how much you are willing to give up for the HSC.

I was 1st in drama, art, and food tech, but I dropped them all for eco, chem.

Im glad I did it, but its been a ROUGH year doing stuff i have no interest in.
so up to you really. if you do what you love you will get a lower atar (unless you love maths/sci)
if you do well in shit subjects you like you'll still do well.
You can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects.
Although, highest English standard student got 99.85 or sone shit last year.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
if you do well in shit subjects you like you'll still do well.
You can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects.
Although, highest English standard student got 99.85 or sone shit last year.
99.85 is amazing with Standard English..... I think that was ninetypercent...

13abie

HSC
I agree with TorMental. Eco has a lot of BS in the short answer sections.
What's economic integration? Probably something to do with economys becoming more involved with one another
90% of the time with absolutley no study you can easy scrape a mark or two. And thats no study, and of course you're gonna study, so therefore you should always easily be able grab 80-90% with much less effort than you'd need for say, chemistry

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with TorMental. Eco has a lot of BS in the short answer sections.
What's economic integration? Probably something to do with economys becoming more involved with one another
90% of the time with absolutley no study you can easy scrape a mark or two. And thats no study, and of course you're gonna study, so therefore you should always easily be able grab 80-90% with much less effort than you'd need for say, chemistry
Yes this possible. I crammed night before for eco trials and got 90/100.. BUT never ever doing it again.. too risky and plain stupid....

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
It's up to you, i do both.. but Legal Studies in my opinion is way easy compared to Economics butttttt it's much more satisfying when you get like 90.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
It's up to you, i do both.. but Legal Studies in my opinion is way easy compared to Economics butttttt it's much more satisfying when you get like 90.
Well this guy in my cohort does legal and eco.

He got 93/100 for legal and 86/100 for eco :p.. PROOVES DIFFICULTY!!!! nah jks..

but from his opinion, he says legal is less time consuming then eco... and difficulty is slightly lower.. ^^ ignore the stats.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Lol, Legals you don't really have to do past papers and majority of the time it's common sense BUT again that's my opinion. :S

181jsmith

HSC
Yeah that's true :)........ To stay on top of economics, you need to continually scan what's occuring throughout the world... Having recent info and economic data is fundamental in essays.... boosts you to the top range for eco :pP.. I remember my monetary essay was capped at 16/20 (it was an impact essay) so i had to have sources to validate my point which i lacked T.T....
for legal studies, do you need to know a lot of current info as well and know whats going around?

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
for legal studies, do you need to know a lot of current info as well and know whats going around?
Not current info as such but more cases, media articles, legislation (which don't have to be to current) to back up your evaluation or analysis within the extended responses. Due to the new syllabus and teacher unfamiliarity, you can really make up half of your cases in the exam if you need to and still get a solid mark due to the abundance of cases and media articles which teachers haven't heard of whereas in Economic i believe the teachers and markers are more informed and therefore you can't really bullshit/make up trends like Legal.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i'd say you would. Mainly political things (changes to legislations and laws)? and maybe some famous court cases that are going on right now o_O??

enoilgam

HSC
True, but the legal system is way more stable, meaning that your information is likely to stay up to date. In economics its way more volatile, especially over the last few years.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
True, but the legal system is way more stable, meaning that your information is likely to stay up to date. In economics its way more volatile, especially over the last few years.
Especially atm!!!!

Agreed possibly 2008~ Onwards is like the worst time do economics rofl........

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I find it interesting to learn about all that stuff haha. Esp the GFC etc.

181jsmith

HSC
I find it interesting to learn about all that stuff haha. Esp the GFC etc.
economics seems a bit more interesting to me now but quite harder at the same time. I'm doing better on legal studies (3rd/~40) than economics (4th/~20) so its a hard decision for me. Maybe its just a matter of which one will benefit me more in my atar considering my other subjects -Maths Ext 2,1, Physics, English Advanced, Studies of Religion 1. Your thoughts and opinions? thanks

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
If you're 3rd for legals and 4th for eco, i don't really see why you'd wanna drop any of them.. and Economics will benefit you more.

dionb2014

HSC
If you're 3rd for legals and 4th for eco, i don't really see why you'd wanna drop any of them.. and Economics will benefit you more.
if your coming 3rd in legal studies and 4th in economics you will get a better mark in economics due to scaling

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Anyone have more questions? I'm too lazy to conjure some of my own.

181jsmith

HSC
i heard 4 unit maths takes up a lot of time and want to do well in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)