Elite school students get more special help in HSC (1 Viewer)

lotusli17

HSC
i dont think it is fair to say that the private schools get an unfair advantage ive aplied for special provisions this year and i go to private school but the only reason that i do go to private school is because of the fact that im dyslexic and i know that is is the same for a lot of familys, and alot of families struggle to pay for private school because they feel it is better for their child who does have special needs so have you ever thought that the reason there might be more special provisions aplications from privates might be because there are more special needs kids who go to these schools

Try Hard

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone
I am the mother of a student applying for SP. He has a medical condition which makes it impossible for him to write. In his application he asked to use a computer to type. He is able to type using the index fingers of each hand only. (two fingered typing). He has been using this provision at school for some time. In his exams he has only once achieved a rank higher than the one he received for other "take home" assessment tasks. (He ranked 2nd in the exam and third in other tasks). He is rankng 1st in his school in one subject (and has never ranked 1st in exams for this subject), 3rd, 4th and 5th and 12th.
We recently received the response from the BOS who have refused him permission to type and have said that he must use a writer instead. This means that he has to find someone (a) willing do the job (b) he has confidence in (how would you like to be relying on someone else to accurately record your answers?) (c) What about spelling all the complex terms for some subjects and people's names for a subject like History?
And yes you can spell these things for someone else but wouldn't you find this distracting?
Finally ask yourself this : If someone told you tomorrow that you would not be allowed to write your own answers but would have to dictate them - how would you honestly feel?
If it was me I would hate the distraction of having to dictate and the interruptions to my train of thought that this would cause.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I have much empathy for your situation Try_Hard and I do hope that if you choose to appeal that the right decision is made. Your son is an amazing person to be able to get to the stage he is at. I am perfectly able bodied and even sometimes I can't be bothered typing my own notes! This is a perfectly legitimate case of when special provisions is needed and I agree this is when this is meant to be used.

But people are always going to abuse the system, and chances are, if they have to resort to this, they're not going to do well anyway. Have you ever heard of a cheater doing really well? Maybe, but the people I know who do well really have the smarts for it and work hard.

As for private schools, they are more likely to attract students who need special provisions because of the facilities they offer (or more the fact that their parents are paying for this kind of service). Though I have to say that with that 36% statistic of Reddam House that is really quite high...

daddy-cool

HSC
does anybody know if u can get special consideration if someone close to the student/family such as a parent or grandparent died during the exam period??

my friend was too sad to study, i thinks shes might fail the hsc...

thnx in advance.

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A
LOL at that

Makes you feel like that little bit better knowing you did it all on your own, despite shit going down around you (sure many of us have more serious issues to worry about the sweting palms, but dont reek misadventure and still do well.. go us!)

ronash

HSC
daddy-cool said:
does anybody know if u can get special consideration if someone close to the student/family such as a parent or grandparent died during the exam period??

my friend was too sad to study, i thinks shes might fail the hsc...

thnx in advance.
yes most definately. dont quote me on this but i am led to believe they give extra uai points or something along those lines. just has to be submitted before a week after the last exam or something i think.

in response to all other whingers, get over it.

daddy-cool

HSC
ronash said:
yes most definately. dont quote me on this but i am led to believe they give extra uai points or something along those lines. just has to be submitted before a week after the last exam or something i think.

in response to all other whingers, get over it.

appreciate it bro

friction

HSC
midifile said:
Your point being?

Im not saying that all people who apply for special provisions. People with things such as dyslexia, diabetes, physical injuries (etc... there are heaps) do deserve to get special provisions and i'm not argueing that.

But people who claim that they need special provisions because they have bad handwriting piss me off. If you can't write after going to school for 13 years perhaps you deserve to do shit in your HSC. And people with bad handwriting can do well despite it - my friends brother did his HSC last year, and he was told by loads of people that he should apply for special provisions for bad handwriting, but he didnt, and he got a UAI of like 98.
I should of applied for special consideration with my dodgy handwriting :).

Grieg

HSC
so what if we get special treatment....we DESERVE it and u cant do shit about it....thats right: shit all... so suck it in fellas...

HSC
My friend has a super bad hand sweating problem and she applied for a laptop and got rejected the first time, but then she appealed and got a laptop.
Aside from that, there are 2 others in my year with special provisions. which is 2.3% of the year.

The EAS (educational access scheme) is for students that faced a significant disadvantage throughout Year 11 and/or 12. I applied for this under medical, economic, and family difficulties and I don't think I'm going to get it...

Its fair... the way that its done. The reason everyone else is complaining is because they want to get special provisions when there is nothing wrong with them.

I go to a public school btw

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
I told them kindly if they tried to pull me out of class for the hundredth time in Year 10 to tell me to get special provisions I would not be available.

the principal and counsellors told me I should get them... they said I could get larger print, a 5 minute break every half hour, and even a laptop to type up.

Sorry BOS, but if you gave ME that sort of advantage... the rest of the state has no chance.

considering I type at about 60-80 words a minute typing and I'm actually pretty good at acadamics, I'd be looking at INSANE lengths for the questions that others wouldn't be able to get to (average writing pace being 20-30 words a minute)

oh well. I'll do OK anyway. Even if exams leave me completely crazy tired.

rest of the state has to go through some means test just like everyone I guess. but that seems an awfully high number, a THIRD of all students??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)