Employers biased against some Uni's (1 Viewer)

K

khorne

What about uni's such as University of Newcastle??
Uh

READ IT

We have said time and time again the uni you go to DOES NOT MATTER.

Maybe if two candidates were EXACTLY equal in EVERY regard, you'd pick the one that went to the GO8 or whatever, but this never happens in real life.

If the UON candidate for say comm for example ran their commsoc, got 500 new members and funding from a company, did a summer internship in some place (idk whatever), they would easily beat the UNSW b comm grad who sat on their arse, and vice versa.

Examine

same
HSC
Using a iphone sorry

If you go to UNSW and you have the Highest ATAR from your school (Of all the kids who go to UNSW- do you don't need to be dux) you get an extra 5 ATAR points plus $4k

So basically you can get in any course with 5 lower points. (And you said you could get 94, hence problem solved)

Also Harrissony, why did you neg me
I wonder why

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
As much as people would create a delusion among themselves, you can't deny the truth of life that most employer's do discriminate against which universities you went to.

Last edited:

Doris123

HSC
N/A
Prove him that you are good enough for the job, no matter which uni you graduated from.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Bias does exist, just like racism etc. Obviously there are people out who graduated from Usyd/Unsw and think grads elsewhere are worse. If these people exist they potentially are people who make a decision.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
People out there, please stop putting a delusional trance upon yourself, seriously, if you'd attained a high ATAR would you still go to UWS ? I highly doubt it.

Also, I know someone who failed so badly at good unis like USYD or UNSw and are about to face their 3rd stage of academic probation, but when that person moved to UWS, he was acing it and getting full marks in exams. The reality was that he was the only one in the tut who passed the test so the lecturer scaled his mark up to full marks. A HD average seriously holds no weight in UWS in comparison to a credit average in USYD or UNSW. Speaking about the way they grade their students in UWS lols...what kind of academic standards do they have?
uws medicine people?

Tegan117

HSC
From what I've seen and researched, it will give you an edge if you're in the middle or lower of your year group. However, if you are a good student, this will be recognised and you will be preferred. I know people who went to USyd and earnt $40k first year out and a person who graduated from UoN who worked for Kirby J (law grads).

Also, at the end of the day, why would you want to work for a company so conceited as to only want students from a certain university? If they're not accepting of a university, why would they accept a work life balance, gender differences etc etc.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hi,

I was thinking about my career options and what I want to do in Uni. My first preference would be either UNSW or USYD. However, I am worried I may not get the ATAR required for it. I have heard that employers prefer graduates from the 'top' universities such as UNSW and that they mostly disregard students from Uni's such as UWS. This also what my close relatives have said who work for private institution from personal experience. So I do think there is some credibility to this point.

So what are your opinions about it?

Please note that I'm not trying to insult students who go to UWS, I just used them as an example.
It's pure bullshit. If anyone ever tells you that the university that you go to, will affect what an employer thinks of you, is highly ignorant, and probably just an arrogant and biased person. They have their mind set on one particular uni, simply because it has their 'most favourite course' and many of their peers support it. A degree is a degree. At the end of your 3-5 years ft study, you have a sheet of paper that details your degree. (a transcript). Employers will take a look at how well you performed throughout your subjects. They will then check to see how much work experience you have undertaken. After this, They will then compare how much volunteering work you have done as compared to someone else. Finally they will judge you on your interview skills, such as ability to communicate clearly, effectively and realistically about certain topics. You attire & personal gestures will always be monitored throughout your interview.

I'm telling you this, because I know a lot of friends from various unis, and they all seem happy with their unis, because they like what they're studying. Think of it like this. A uni is just a name. That uni can only hold so many students, until another uni is required to be built. It's more of a capacity question. Just be happy you're not wasting your days at TAFE, and that you're going to uni getting a degree.

You may wonder, why certain unis have higher /lower ATAR requirements. It's because of geographical locations, i.e. some unis are further away from the CBD. Maybe a particular suburb / area is known for not as high ATAR achievers, thus the uni will be built to cater for lower entry ATAR students. ATAR is not a measure of how smart you are, it's rather a measure of 'how well you memorised your content as compared to other students'. Smartness & skill is what comes with completing your degree and hopefully work experience in your respective fields.

If an employer is judging an applicant solely on the uni they went to (which i don't think would happen), they shouldn't be an employer, they are just being a complete dick.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Er, that's a very idealistic view of the world Brightside.

Should people be discriminated against based on what uni they went to? Probably not (after taking into consideration that certain unis mark harder than others, a Distinction at one uni may not be worth a Distinction at another).

Does it happen? Without a doubt, yes.

And you pretty much have your priorities wrong. You say it goes marks > work experience > volunteering > interview. It's technically interview/culture > marks > work experience/volunteering.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Er, that's a very idealistic view of the world Brightside.

Should people be discriminated against based on what uni they went to? Probably not (after taking into consideration that certain unis mark harder than others, a Distinction at one uni may not be worth a Distinction at another).

Does it happen? Without a doubt, yes.

And you pretty much have your priorities wrong. You say it goes marks > work experience > volunteering > interview. It's technically interview/culture > marks > work experience/volunteering.
yeah, you can look at it like that. I wasn't really thinking about prioritising. But it depends on the company. I know the big Banks will look at your marks, to see if you got Ds or HDs, before you even get to the interview stage. But I can see what you mean. A degree is what you make out of it. Sure there are crappy pointless subjects that should have never been there in the first place. But The main point is that we learn in the subjects that actually matter, and we do some self-learning, going out of our ways to achieve something greater than if we did the bare minimum any uni set.

Yeah sure, from being on this site for the past ~2.5 years. I have picked up a strong stigma that people rank UNSW as highly prestigious, then USyd, then UTS, as like the three top ones. But I grew to feel that it doesn't really play an important role. It's up to the individual to get good grades and achieve the best they can. If a student went to UNSW and got passes and failed a couple of subjects, as compared to a UWS student who gets Ds HDs, who do you think the Employer will look forward to interviewing?

horny unicorn

HSC
Yeah sure, from being on this site for the past ~2.5 years. I have picked up a strong stigma that people rank UNSW as highly prestigious, then USyd, then UTS, as like the three top ones. But I grew to feel that it doesn't really play an important role. It's up to the individual to get good grades and achieve the best they can. If a student went to UNSW and got passes and failed a couple of subjects, as compared to a UWS student who gets Ds HDs, who do you think the Employer will look forward to interviewing?
that example doesn't really relate to the point

a relevant scenario is
if a unsw and uws student both have the same wam (say D average)
which one will get picked
and that's the point

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
I cannot really say if they are biased with the university you graduated from, since I don't even know much about the workforce. Anyhow, I would say "extremely slightly" they will favour something over the other. Most likely not though. The employer in general, I will presume targets the person who is "right" for the job.

They will essentially look for the following characteristics of a person:

1) Determination
2) Personality
3) Attitude
4) Marks
5) Punctuality

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
yeah, you can look at it like that. I wasn't really thinking about prioritising. But it depends on the company. I know the big Banks will look at your marks, to see if you got Ds or HDs, before you even get to the interview stage. But I can see what you mean. A degree is what you make out of it. Sure there are crappy pointless subjects that should have never been there in the first place. But The main point is that we learn in the subjects that actually matter, and we do some self-learning, going out of our ways to achieve something greater than if we did the bare minimum any uni set.
I actually should apologise here, you're right in this respect for some companies. Considering a lot of the applications are done online, one of the first thresholds to pass will be your WAM/GPA/average on an automated application system. So yeah, in terms of marks, they're important there. However, once you get the interview, as I understand it, marks count for nada, and everyone is on an even keel, no matter whether your WAM is 86 or 74. It then comes down to personality and whether you'd fit into their 'culture'. So, in that respect, you're right that marks are the foremost consideration in terms of the process, however, in terms of foremost consideration in relation to a holistic approach, probably not. You'll get people who don't necessarily get the marks required get an offer, because they're exceptional in other areas. However, you'll never get an offer if you don't come off as fitting in with the culture of said firm; no matter how good your marks are or how detailed your work history is.

Of course it's up to the individual to do well - and as you say, obviously if you're comparing student A who went to UNSW and failed, and student B who went to UWS who got Ds and HDs, obviously, student B would get the job. That's comparing two entities which aren't even the same in that respect; you're comparing apples and oranges. When people are asking this question, they're generally asking whether a Distinction student at UNSW has more opportunities in a pragmatic workforce than a Distinction student at UWS. The answer is yes. I'd even go so far as to say that a low-mid Credit at UNSW/USyd Commerce is the equivalent of a low-mid Distinction at UWS. Employers obviously take that into consideration.

Bias is inherent in the system. Should it happen? Probably not (accounting for marking leniency between unis). Does it happen? Without a doubt.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
uws medicine people?
Agreed, lol UWS Med people are still on high 90's, maybe even minimum 98-99 ATAR. I find it rather silly people judging UWS just because of its cut offs and the slight easier entry requirements compared to other schools, there is so many factors like the location and facilities of the school that is appealing to some people. UWS like people said Med is very practical there, even the Law program I heard was very practical compared to other unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)