Eng Ext 1: To drop or not to drop? (1 Viewer)

anniea89

HSC
So, I had my meeting with my teacher today. She took me through the task and pointed out where I lost my marks. She told me that I have alot of potential and not to drop, but if I feel that it's getting too much, then I should.

I was talking to my friends and we discovered that the marks are 0.1% difference. The highest was 33/35, the next was 28.5 and so on. I think it's put it into perspective for me, because although my rank sucks, my mark in relation to everyone else's in the class is where it should be. I think the difficulty was getting great marks in a class like that.

amy236

HSC
i'm taking 13 units this year, including EE1, and my module is also Genre: Revenge Tragedy. i've been considering dropping a subject for a while, but i think that you've done majority of the work for it now, if you take 12 units all the way through then EE1 may not even have to count in your UAI. if the marks are that close, then there's every chance that if you work hard for your trials and external exam that you might even make up the marks. my advice would be to not discount it yet, although it can seem hard, just see how things pan out. you still have the holidays to work on study and finding related texts, critical theory etc... but in the end, the decision comes down to you and the workload you can personally handle.
i get that having chem and EE1 on the same day would be very stressful, but i kinda see dropping a subject at this stage as having wasted time...
also, don't drop it just because you don't like the teacher, and don't drop it just because your parents think you should

that said, the decision does come down to you, your own limits and what you perceive to be your own ability. i hope you make the right choice for yourself... good luck!!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
morganforrest said:
Just to clarify a lot of the BS on previous pages....by no means does Adv. English scale one of the highest. In fact it is just about average. Although they redo the scaling every year Ext 2 Maths is consistently the highest scaling followed by EE2. This is without a doubt true. In fact the scaling reports for the last three years are available on the boredofstudies website though i can't be bothered posting the link. However i f people keep posting such crap I'll have to. Yes Modern scales well but not as well as many others. Chem is the highest scaling science, followed by Physics. E1 maths and english scale about the same. As Chem and Modern. (Ext History, from memory scales a little better than Modern.)

Please stop misleading everyone.
The mean HSC marks and scaling mark for each subject that you mentioned for the 2007 UAI student group:
English Advanced: 38.5, 31.2
Extension 2 Maths: 39.7, 43.3
Extension 2 English: 39.9, 36.6
Modern History: 37.9, 27.6
Chemistry: 37.0, 31.4
Physics: 37.5, 30.1
Extension 1 Maths: 38.1, 39.4
Extension 1 English: 39.4, 36.3
Extension History: 36.7, 34.4

shut up

ruler of all
somewhere inside a rainbow wondering what im doing
HSC
dude, extension is the best subject everm, not only does it broaden your mind, but it will help you a stack in any art sunject in school/uni - my teacher told me the extension course in university level english. plus, its your hsc, not your parents. do you want to waste all that work becos we have a fascist rankings system where SUM1 has to come last?

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
olsh?
theyre pretty good at english.. the standards are relatively high..
like u said u werent eveyr far behind marks wise.. just the rankings
:)

stick with it babeh!

cs01001

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
The mean HSC marks and scaling mark for each subject that you mentioned for the 2007 UAI student group:
English Advanced: 38.5, 31.2
Extension 2 Maths: 39.7, 43.3
Extension 2 English: 39.9, 36.6
Modern History: 37.9, 27.6
Chemistry: 37.0, 31.4
Physics: 37.5, 30.1
Extension 1 Maths: 38.1, 39.4
Extension 1 English: 39.4, 36.3
Extension History: 36.7, 34.4
The number on the left is HSC marks, right?

anniea89

HSC
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with it, see how I go.

Thanks for all your help :)

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
ARGH.
SS they absolutely slaughter Mod Hist students.

Better get above the mean.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
What does that table mean? If it is HSC/scaled mark, then does it mean english ext 2 scales you down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)