ENGG1000 Projects (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
thats fine with me

??? how does this make sense lol. Wouldn't it be the same thing though? Unless if Joe Wolfe wasn't taking it then i would see how it would be easier. Tbh, i went to maybe like no more than 4 of Wolfe's lectures and that was only to kill time
Don't take my word for it, but from what I've been hearing, the final exams are apparently easier and ppl who have failed the course are repeating it so they're catering to them.

I could be wrong though.

Oh god Joe Wolfe. His notes aren't very good either; I find it hard to follow it :(

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't take my word for it, but from what I've been hearing, the final exams are apparently easier and ppl who have failed the course are repeating it so they're catering to them.

I could be wrong though.
hmmm, that does seem to make sense

Oh god Joe Wolfe. His notes aren't very good either; I find it hard to follow it :(
so im not the only one. some people talk about him being like a miracle worker in physics and people can't wait to get to his lectures - just paraphrasing

are you first/second year 4025808?

HSC
N/A
mentor checks it on sunday?!?!?!?!?! i thought it the only time you're with your mentor is during the sessions + by email if s/he gave it to you.

tbh; what im just going to do is submit my work to the best of my ability and we "agreed" that i will "stitch the work together". so i'll just look over their parts and fix what i can (unless they wrote their section better than hawking's PhD) and submit it.

Just mention in the end your teammates were just as useless as a red light in GTA (iirc, you're meant to review your team mates)
Aside from our mentor being a hottie :drink:, he gave us his email so we can contact him if we need help. honestly he is very, very helpful. he offered us to check our design proposal during the mid semester break.

HSC
N/A
+1; 100% agree. People in my group usually pretend to be sick/have some important unexpected thing come up and offer the excuse that "sorry guyz, cant make it this week". i mean really if you can't take 2 hours a week out of your scheduled time, c'mon. (BTW; since no-one was meeting up; i decided to go get subway and i saw her and her friends at boost lol)
uh oh! in that sense, Im lucky then! haha. all of my groupmates show up in meetings. but thats about it. before meetings i ask them to read the peer tool something on moodle so that we can work efficiently. unfortunately no one bothers to read them and it just ends up i have to spoon feed them just about anything.

If i knew that its better to take this subject in the second semester, I would. and if i found out sooner i would have dropped this subject.

sigh.

D94

HSC
N/A
If this is happening now, then maybe it will be better in semester 2 with less people trying poorly.

I'm just speculating this as most first years are forced to do ENGG1000 this semester, and in semester 2 there might be more people from different years or the first years will be much more settled into uni.
The students who do ENGG1000 in semester 2 are generally first years starting in the mid year (most likely transfers and those who didn't make it in the first time); international students, where their education system starts in the mid year; computer science students; and those who somehow fail the course in semester 1. There are obviously some students who decide to do it in semester 2, that are none of the above.

was there an option to do ENGG1000 in second sem. if there were i would rethink most of my subjects. I would have done MATH1141, MMAN1300, + 2 Elevtives in 1st sem and done ENGG1000, MATH1241, PHYS1131 and COMP1917 2nd sem so that way i didn't have to do the comp course like a MOOC.
MMAN1300 requires MATH 1A and PHYS 1A. Your subject selection is like the great majority of engineering students in the recent history of UNSW. We survived, so you should be able to as well.

thats fine with me

??? how does this make sense lol. Wouldn't it be the same thing though? Unless if Joe Wolfe wasn't taking it then i would see how it would be easier. Tbh, i went to maybe like no more than 4 of Wolfe's lectures and that was only to kill time
Same lecturers: Wolfe and Angstmann. (or at least that was the case in the past 2 years)

HSC
N/A

I could be wrong though.

Now, he has an online course... https://www.coursera.org/course/particles2planets

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
MMAN1300 requires MATH 1A and PHYS 1A. Your subject selection is like the great majority of engineering students in the recent history of UNSW. We survived, so you should be able to as well.
But there is this girl that is doing MMAN1300 in semester 1 and apparently it is offered in semester 1: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MMAN1300.html o_O

Same lecturers: Wolfe and Angstmann. (or at least that was the case in the past 2 years)
:(

it seems like a water downded version of the PHYS 1A course

D94

HSC
N/A
But there is this girl that is doing MMAN1300 in semester 1 and apparently it is offered in semester 1: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MMAN1300.html o_O
Not every first year does MMAN1300 in their first year (i.e. semester 2). They can do it in their second year first semester (students doing doubles or who did PHYS in first year semester 2), which is why it is offered. It is also a first year engineering elective for students who are not in the School of Mech.

That girl should have completed PHYS and MATH, unless she got an exemption (which is more on the unlikely side).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not every first year does MMAN1300 in their first year (i.e. semester 2). They can do it in their second year first semester (students doing doubles or who did PHYS in first year semester 2), which is why it is offered. It is also a first year engineering elective for students who are not in the School of Mech.

That girl should have completed PHYS and MATH, unless she got an exemption (which is more on the unlikely side).
i believe she is studying it concurrently ie she is doing engg1000, phys1121, math1131 and mman1300.

that makes sense because you need to do MMAN1300 before MMAN2300 but in order to do this you have to have completed 1st year math and phys

HSC
N/A
i believe she is studying it concurrently ie she is doing engg1000, phys1121, math1131 and mman1300.

that makes sense because you need to do MMAN1300 before MMAN2300 but in order to do this you have to have completed 1st year math and phys
I know some first years (first semester undergraduate) doing COMP9447 (Security Workshop), which is open for both undergraduates and postgraduates, but has prerequisites of getting a Credit in COMP3331, and that has a prerequisite of COMP1921 or COMP1927 or MTRN3500, all of those has prerequisites of COMP1911, COMP1917 or (ENGG1811 or COMP1911) respectively.

So prerequisites can be waived with the School's permission, but it may be harder without the knowledge from the prerequisite courses.

D94

HSC
N/A
I know some first years (first semester undergraduate) doing COMP9447 (Security Workshop), which is open for both undergraduates and postgraduates, but has prerequisites of getting a Credit in COMP3331, and that has a prerequisite of COMP1921 or COMP1927 or MTRN3500, all of those has prerequisites of COMP1911, COMP1917 or (ENGG1811 or COMP1911) respectively.

So prerequisites can be waived with the School's permission, but it may be harder without the knowledge from the prerequisite courses.
It's not as simple as just getting prerequisites waved in first year first semester. There are reasons for it:

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/future-students/talented-students-program

and/or

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/about-us/help-resources/for-students/elite-students-scheme/

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

firstly; Security Workshop sounds cool

and yes i can see now that you need the prior knowledge to do the further stuff. i understand that you need like algebra to do calculus but i thought computing would be a little different

alsol is it too late to major in computer science. i am doing engg/science but COMP1917 was too difficult (not so much as difficult but rather fast paced). I also plan to drop science soon maybe (probably)

HSC
N/A
firstly; Security Workshop sounds cool

and yes i can see now that you need the prior knowledge to do the further stuff. i understand that you need like algebra to do calculus but i thought computing would be a little different

alsol is it too late to major in computer science. i am doing engg/science but COMP1917 was too difficult (not so much as difficult but rather fast paced). I also plan to drop science soon maybe (probably)
A mark of 75 in COMP1911 and completion of the bridging course to get into COMP1927 in semester 2 or do COMP1921 in semester 2 then COMP1927 in Summer and you would probably be in the same speed as the others.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
A mark of 75 in COMP1911 and completion of the bridging course to get into COMP1927 in semester 2 or do COMP1921 in semester 2 then COMP1927 in Summer and you would probably be in the same speed as the others.
How would one complete said bridging course? I heard the lecturer talk about it but he just said its at the end

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The students who do ENGG1000 in semester 2 are generally first years starting in the mid year (most likely transfers and those who didn't make it in the first time); international students, where their education system starts in the mid year; computer science students; and those who somehow fail the course in semester 1. There are obviously some students who decide to do it in semester 2, that are none of the above.

Makes sense. Hopefully I get in a group with all my friends in the same program. Can't guarantee but even if we do the same project, but not in the same group, we still will help each other out.

---------------------

There are exceptions to getting waived into courses, however those exceptions are only offered to TSP or program specific students.

If you tried to waive into MMAN1300, by calling up back in January and asking them to put you in, the person doing it would have checked what program you are doing and declined waiving you in and would have told you to pick something else. The school will let you waive in based on your program or if you can provide evidence of TSP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)