ENGG1000 Projects (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
i spoke to andrew taylor today and he said only very few people get it every year :(
Few could mean that those who got distinction didn't want to do it, and some of those that wanted it, didn't get distinction. I guess <10 ppl would have done/will be doing it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Few could mean that those who got distinction didn't want to do it, and some of those that wanted it, didn't get distinction. I guess <10 ppl would have done/will be doing it.
Still I recommend you ask about the method I pointed out above (maybe e-mail the COMP school).

That method has been approved under some programs, so it might be possible for you to go through with that method.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Still I recommend you ask about the method I pointed out above (maybe e-mail the COMP school).

That method has been approved under some programs, so it might be possible for you to go through with that method.
i spoke with the engineering student office today and they said mech and elec engineers MUST do COMP1917 and COMP1911 was NOT an acceptable alternative. Well fuck

D94

HSC
N/A
i spoke with the engineering student office today and they said mech and elec engineers MUST do COMP1917 and COMP1911 was NOT an acceptable alternative. Well fuck
By mech, do you mean mechatronic? Because the new mechanical plan has ENGG1811 as the recommended computing course now. However, going by here: https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MTRNA13710.html , COMP1911 seems to be acceptable. You should show them that.

If I have little to do, I'll go and ask since the new plan structure (as in that PDF with the green and blue boxes) has COMP1917 as required, but I know a lot of people who didn't do COMP1917. That would really screw those guys up.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
By mech, do you mean mechatronic? Because the new mechanical plan has ENGG1811 as the recommended computing course now. However, going by here: https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MTRNA13710.html , COMP1911 seems to be acceptable. You should show them that.

If I have little to do, I'll go and ask since the new plan structure (as in that PDF with the green and blue boxes) has COMP1917 as required, but I know a lot of people who didn't do COMP1917. That would really screw those guys up.
by mech i mean mechatronic. they told me to look at this: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...iles/uploads/BE_Plan_3710_MTRN_Basic_2013.pdf and said that you must be doing/ have done COMP1917 and the stuff here: https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MTRNA13710.html is wrong and im like how the hell was i susposed to assume that this was wrong? it just says prefered but it was too hard and i moved down.

so i just sent an email to kane murdoch to see whats up. I dont want to be wasting this time (and money) for a subject that is irrelevant

HSC
N/A
by mech i mean mechatronic. they told me to look at this: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...iles/uploads/BE_Plan_3710_MTRN_Basic_2013.pdf and said that you must be doing/ have done COMP1917 and the stuff here: https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MTRNA13710.html is wrong and im like how the hell was i susposed to assume that this was wrong? it just says prefered but it was too hard and i moved down.

so i just sent an email to kane murdoch to see whats up. I dont want to be wasting this time (and money) for a subject that is irrelevant
I think that if you commenced Mechatronic before 2014, you can do ENGG1811 because you don't have to do ELEC2141 and COMP2121. If you started this year, you have to do COMP1911/17 because you need to do COMP2121 and it has prerequisites (something may change. Either the prerequisites will be lowered or you have to do COMP1921/27 as well).

The part I was talking about the bridging course. COMP1911 + Bridging Course is similar, if not the same, as completing COMP1917. So you don't waste 6 UoC.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that if you commenced Mechatronic before 2014, you can do ENGG1811 because you don't have to do ELEC2141 and COMP2121. If you started this year, you have to do COMP1911/17 because you need to do COMP2121 and it has prerequisites (something may change. Either the prerequisites will be lowered or you have to do COMP1921/27 as well).

The part I was talking about the bridging course. COMP1911 + Bridging Course is similar, if not the same, as completing COMP1917. So you don't waste 6 UoC.
so we do get a choice? iirc; someone on bos said that 1911+1921 are roughly equivalent; so i could maybe choose 1921 as an elective????

can anyone just get into the bridging course? I mean well i know the best of the best 1911 students will get offered it but i am not that strong with the computing :(

or since i am not that good at computing (right now) would it be worth just to change the major seeing how mechatronic is based on some heavy computing? (i was considering mechanical or aerospace, but i do like mechatronics) what to do :(

HSC
N/A
so we do get a choice? iirc; someone on bos said that 1911+1921 are roughly equivalent; so i could maybe choose 1921 as an elective????

can anyone just get into the bridging course? I mean well i know the best of the best 1911 students will get offered it but i am not that strong with the computing :(

or since i am not that good at computing (right now) would it be worth just to change the major seeing how mechatronic is based on some heavy computing? (i was considering mechanical or aerospace, but i do like mechatronics) what to do :(
You should have a choice, try talking to the CSE Student Office and/or the Mech Engineering First Year Director and state what the Engineering Student Office said and what's written in the handbook. It wouldn't make sense forcing someone to do COMP1917 if you're not a CSE major. It's like forcing people to do MATH1241/51 when 1231 is sufficient.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You should have a choice, try talking to the CSE Student Office and/or the Mech Engineering First Year Director and state what the Engineering Student Office said and what's written in the handbook. It wouldn't make sense forcing someone to do COMP1917 if you're not a CSE major. It's like forcing people to do MATH1241/51 when 1231 is sufficient.
yeah! I remember the lecturer saying that this course i for cse majors and people who have a heavy interest in computing. this would screw up a lot of people; i know about 4 people doing mechatronic with only comp1911.

one of the arguments the lady made was that 1911 was not sufficient because you don't learn "everything." there are courses later that require heavy and sosphicated use of C and other programs but i dont see how having a few gaps in our knowledge will severly affect us in later years, maybe we can't call a function as quick as the previous 1917 students. (btw i dont get the comp1917 assignment, you have to make a program that links you to some pretty image? but then again our assignment is converting numbers to roman and back)

HSC
N/A
yeah! I remember the lecturer saying that this course i for cse majors and people who have a heavy interest in computing. this would screw up a lot of people; i know about 4 people doing mechatronic with only comp1911.

one of the arguments the lady made was that 1911 was not sufficient because you don't learn "everything." there are courses later that require heavy and sosphicated use of C and other programs but i dont see how having a few gaps in our knowledge will severly affect us in later years, maybe we can't call a function as quick as the previous 1917 students. (btw i dont get the comp1917 assignment, you have to make a program that links you to some pretty image? but then again our assignment is converting numbers to roman and back)
Any examples of the later courses?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think that if you commenced Mechatronic before 2014, you can do ENGG1811 because you don't have to do ELEC2141.
ELEC2141 only has ELEC1112 as pre-requisite.

ELEC2141 has nothing to do with C coding. The coding in 2141 is something completely different and makes up less than 10% of the course content.

The only problem you have to chase up is COMP2121.

Your best option would probably be to try and do 1921 or 1927 as an elective next semester unless you can change back to 1917 now (which is probably not a good choice).

Any examples of the later courses?
As above.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
The only problem you have to chase up is COMP2121.

Your best option would probably be to try and do 1921 or 1927 as an elective next semester unless you can change back to 1917 now (which is probably not a good choice)..
Yes, ill be taking COMP1921 provided that i pass 1911 this semester. 1917 have progressed ahead at an exponential pace so i wouldn't even be able to catch up. I would also need it for MTRN2500 https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/MTRN2500.html

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't see the issue here. If you do COMP1911, and you can then do COMP1921 which will fulfil the requirements for COMP2121. Since COMP1921 is on the First Year Engineering Electives list, and since you have to do 12 UOC anyway, that just means you need to do another 6 anywhere else (which honestly, does not matter at all).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see the issue here. If you do COMP1911, and you can then do COMP1921 which will fulfil the requirements for COMP2121. Since COMP1921 is on the First Year Engineering Electives list, and since you have to do 12 UOC anyway, that just means you need to do another 6 anywhere else (which honestly, does not matter at all).
yes ill just do that. my subjects for sem 2 will be MATH1241, COMP1921, MMAN1300 and ENGG1400

D94

HSC
N/A
I spoke with the Mech office today, and clarified some issues:

1. Students studying Mechatronic Engineering who commenced in 2014 must do COMP1917. This is required due to the increase in computing in later years under the new plan.

2. If you are doing COMP1911 or lower, and you are doing Mechatronic Engineering, and you are finding COMP1911 difficult or you are just passing, you will find Mechatronic Engineering to be more challenging than your peers.

3. If you are doing COMP1911 or lower, and you are doing Mechatronic Engineering, and you commenced in 2014, you must discuss this with Associate Professor Jay Katupitiya (j.katupitiya@unsw.edu.au) otherwise COMP1911 will not count towards your degree, and you will still need to complete COMP1917. You may or may not be allowed to have COMP1911 as the acceptable computing course for your degree. In the event you are accepted, any course that requires COMP1917 as a prerequisite will need to be enrolled in via the School since the enrolment system will not recognise COMP1911.

4. Students must do courses outlined on the plan structure on the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering website because the Handbook is not your official plan. Plans may be changed prior to enrolment, but School submissions for the Handbook may occur before official changes are made, and hence will not be reflected in the Handbook.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I spoke with the Mech office today, and clarified some issues:

1. Students studying Mechatronic Engineering who commenced in 2014 must do COMP1917. This is required due to the increase in computing in later years under the new plan.

2. If you are doing COMP1911 or lower, and you are doing Mechatronic Engineering, and you are finding COMP1911 difficult or you are just passing, you will find Mechatronic Engineering to be more challenging than your peers.

3. If you are doing COMP1911 or lower, and you are doing Mechatronic Engineering, and you commenced in 2014, you must discuss this with Associate Professor Jay Katupitiya (j.katupitiya@unsw.edu.au) otherwise COMP1911 will not count towards your degree, and you will still need to complete COMP1917. You may or may not be allowed to have COMP1911 as the acceptable computing course for your degree. In the event you are accepted, any course that requires COMP1917 as a prerequisite will need to be enrolled in via the School since the enrolment system will not recognise COMP1911.

4. Students must do courses outlined on the plan structure on the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering website because the Handbook is not your official plan. Plans may be changed prior to enrolment, but School submissions for the Handbook may occur before official changes are made, and hence will not be reflected in the Handbook.
Firstly; thanks for taking your time out of your day for this :)

When I spoke to the mech office on level 4 of elec engg building on tuesday; the lady i spoke to said a similar thing in that COMP1911 probably won't be counted towards the degree. They said that i would have to speak to kane murdoch (kane.murdoch@unsw.edu.au) in order to sort this out. I have sent him an email on tuesday but i haven't received a reply yet.

I also spoke to the CSE office on the same day and they showed me this: https://wiki.cse.unsw.edu.au/info/CoreCourses/Syllabus and they basically said that COMP1911 + COMP1921 equal COMP1917

Either way i will try still try my best in COMP1911 for the time being; but if i am unable to be successful i will have to start looking at other options

D94

HSC
N/A
If you don't get a response soon, as in within a week of your first email, then I think you should email Jay because he's the deputy head of school as well as the course convenor for Mechatronic Engineering.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't get a response soon, as in within a week of your first email, then I think you should email Jay because he's the deputy head of school as well as the course convenor for Mechatronic Engineering.
I emailed him just then (well just copied the same email i sent Kane)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)