Engineering at various universities (1 Viewer)

mr_tizzle

HSC
N/A
I understand that UNSW is largely regarded as the top engineering facility in nsw (along with USYD), however i am wondering how other places compare to it, most specifically ANU. It seems ANU takes a slightly broader approach focusing more on systems as a whole compared to specific disciplines eg purely civil or mining engineering. My question is how does ANU compare to UNSW/USYD in terms of quality, opportunities and recognition, particularly for obtaining work overseas. Also, how easy would it be to transfer to somewhere like USYD or UNSW in the second or third year of university. Finally which of these majors would be most closely related to, or be able to lead into civil engineering
- Biomedical Systems
- Electronic and Communication Systems
- Mechanical and Material Systems
- Mechatronic Systems
- Photonic Systems
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Sustainable Systems

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In terms of transferring into UNSW or USyd, you have to refer to external tranfer programs at those universities and what requirements are required or how competitive it can get.

Also, through external transfers you have to consider how many credit units you are accredited for the university you are transferring to. For example, you might do 16 courses worth at ANU, which might only accredit you for 13 courses at UNSW (these are just estimates on my behalf and aren't indicative of any actual data). Looking here I am not too sure whether this website is currently being fixed or if you can't transfer from ANU to UNSW for Engineering. Call UNSW Faculty of Engineering on the 5th of January when most school offices open again for the new year to clarify if you can do external transfers from ANU to UNSW with accredited units.

Can't speak on behalf of USyd external transfers as I am not too familiar at the moment. If I have time I'll look up their external transfers and see what can be done.

In terms of closest related to Civil Engineering in terms of academic content, definitely Mechanical Engineering. However one major difference is that Mechanical Engineering is more related to dynamic systems (stuff always moving or changing), whereas Civil Engineering is more related to static systems (stuff that you don't want to move).

In terms of actual range of jobs, neither will fulfil what a Civil Engineering graduate can in completeness. You could be any one of those Engineers above but if a Civil Engineer is needed for the role, more than likely one will be used as it is more efficient and there isn't a massive lacking of Civil Engineers at the moment here in Australia.

such_such

HSC
^ On a side note, my friend transferred from UTS to UNSW in the 2nd semester. He got no units accredited.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^ On a side note, my friend transferred from UTS to UNSW in the 2nd semester. He got no units accredited.
Depends what they did at UTS really.

I had a mate transfer from USyd to UNSW and got only 36 units of credit out of the 48 he did at USyd to be accredited towards his program at UNSW. So he had to do a few more courses to catch up.

mr_tizzle

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies, does anyone know anything about engineering at ANU?

BlugyBlug

HSC
Out of those majors, mechanical would be most closely related to Civil. You'll get a lot of units accredited when you transfer assuming you're not too deep into the mechanical side of things, e.g. Thermodynamics/fluid mechanics have little relationship with civil eng.

mr_tizzle

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info on transferring guys!, does anyone know about ANU's engineering quality/reputation/international prospects compared to UNSW/USYD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)