Engineering Studies Comp. & Summer School (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Anybody heard of it yet ? Teacher is planning to enter two of our best reports to the comp. & for the summer school, anybody ever been there before? I'm not considering going, although if it wasn't nearly like $600 bucks to do work, I might have considered it. I just want to know what goes on there.

Black Hawker

HSC
I'm going to do it this December. It's called the Honeywell Engineering Summer School (http://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...ywell-engineering-summer-school-hess_home.cfm) sponsored by Engineers Australia and Honeywell (multi-national company). I'm looking for organisations to sponsor me to go because, as you can see from my sign, I'm really interested in engineering.

Anyone know of organisations that are willing to sponsor these types of things?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
oh so organisations can sponsor you ? is that what they meant by rotary clubs & stuff ? hm .. one question, why would they ? like last night I was reading the form and it actually sounds like a good experience. It'd be mad if I got somebody to sponsor me to go, but what kinda of organisations do it ? & btw you don't do engineering at school ?

thanks for the reply & link anyways ^^

[edit]

do they also sponsor you in full ? or does it depend ? lol

[/edit]

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm, this summer school goes on from Sunday to Friday, 3rd last week of school. I've never like EVER participated in any extracurricular activities so I'm kinda like a first-timer. I really don't know why I'm so interested in this one. ><"

Black Hawker

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
oh so organisations can sponsor you ? is that what they meant by rotary clubs & stuff ? hm .. one question, why would they ? like last night I was reading the form and it actually sounds like a good experience. It'd be mad if I got somebody to sponsor me to go, but what kinda of organisations do it ? & btw you don't do engineering at school ?

thanks for the reply & link anyways ^^

[edit]

do they also sponsor you in full ? or does it depend ? lol

[/edit]
No problems. :D

I'm trying to get either the council, the Rotary or some engineering firm to sponsor me - I don't know if they pay it all or just an amount. Some organisations want to support youth in getting their skills and achieving the careers they want.

Yeah I know. I so wanted to do engineering, but we didn't have enough people to get a class in...

Past students (including a vice captain I think) has gone and told the careers adviser that it was really good. Both student has gone on to do engineering at university.

Plus this will look really good on your application for a scholarship for engineering.

This is an email I got from Engineers Australia...

Hi

The cost as you said is $585 which covers all accommodation and meals for the week, plus all ground transport for the week long program. In order to obtain a sponsorship for this program you should contact your local Rotary Club. Rotary sponsors several students from both the Sydney metropolitan and Regional areas of NSW. If you do not have a Rotary contact or know your where your local Rotary Club is, you should phone 9635 3537 for your local Club phone number. If you speak with your school they will probably find this out for you. Don't be concerned about contacting Rotary as they have a great interest in assisting students who wish to improve themselves and pursue careers. The Rotary representative you speak with will probably wish to meet with you to discuss your interest in HESS before taking your request for assistance to their committee meeting. You will need to provide your most recent school report with the application form.

I would recommend you pursue your Rotary enquiry quickly as places fill quickly and it usually takes a few weeks for the decision by Rotary to be made.

Please give me a call or have your school call me if you need further information about Rotary or the HESS program.

Best Regards,
Robyn

Robyn Worthing
Event Manager
Engineers Australia
Level 3, 8 Thomas Street
Chatswood NSW 2067
Phone: 02 9410 5612
Fax: 02 9410 0000

2007 - Year of Women in Engineering

Last edited:

falcon07

HSC
I went on it last year and had a great time. Every morning there was a tour of a university and in the afternoon a site visit of a company related to a field in which you are interested. Night is pretty much free time. The houseparents are all in various stages of an engineering degree and will have plenty of time to answer your questions. One night there is a careers evening, when they invite lots of graduate engineers to chat with you. Just make sure to check your school calendar, because the week was during my first year 12 assessment block so I had to organise to do my exams at a later date.

Evergreen

HSC
Im interested in doing engineering at uni but this costs too much.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Where's this held? A friend went to an engineering camp last year at usyd, not sure if that's the one you're talking about. But she came back saying that was boring. :p

And what's the Engineering Studies comp? For the subject Engineering Studies?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hmph ! I emailed like 4 rotary clubs and 2 have already rejected my proposal saying that they only help people in need like those in Africa.

& totally agree @ Evergreeen. The only reason I would go would be if I could get a sponsor. If not, so not paying for that.

& the engineering studies comp is where year 11 ENS students submit and engineering report and like yeah.

Sigh. I really wish I could get a sponsor. =(

Black Hawker

HSC
Yeah I'm finding it hard to get sponsors at moment too.

On the other hand I'm happy because I got accepted for work expereince at a biomedical engineering company. I'll be in a lab looking at people researching...and maybe help out...

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
=O ! * jealousss * are you still able to do work experience in year 11 ? & how do you have the timee ? goshh .. ><"

but yeahhh .. im pretty sure i wont be able to find a sponsor. I'm just not sure where to look now.

Black Hawker

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
=O ! * jealousss * are you still able to do work experience in year 11 ? & how do you have the timee ? goshh .. ><"

but yeahhh .. im pretty sure i wont be able to find a sponsor. I'm just not sure where to look now.
Well work experience in Year 11 has to be in the school holidays, so it's all good.

I'm going anyway if I don't get the Rotary's sponsorship.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hmmm oh okay. Thats okay then. It sounds real mad ! Hope you have fun doing that ^^. Well I might go talk to my careers advisor or somebody about sponsorships. Hope you have a good time at the summer school too. =]

Black Hawker

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Hmmm oh okay. Thats okay then. It sounds real mad ! Hope you have fun doing that ^^. Well I might go talk to my careers advisor or somebody about sponsorships. Hope you have a good time at the summer school too. =]
Thanks. Do you know of any corporations that are willing to sponsor students who show an interest in their field (engineering). What I'm saying it there any companies that are willing to sponsor people to the summer school for example.

Black Hawker

HSC
Either way I'm going. Just really need a sponsor lol. Plus can't wait until work experience at the biomedical company...:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)