English class mark (1 Viewer)

FreeWorld

HSC
Does the english class mark matter? i.e. count towards the HSC, because i received my reports today and my class mark isnt impressive relative to my assessment mark.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The best 2 units of English are counted no matter what.

And yes, your class mark (average, I'm guessing?) does matter.

Lukybear

HSC
Ask your teachers. The classmarks might just be like quiz marks or smthing like that. It might just be a graded homework ish task.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
:S

I dont think we even get our marks, only our ranks.

FreeWorld

HSC
Sorry i know english has to count but specifically the class mark counts? because i have both assessment and class mark/rank and thought the assessment mark would only count.

ChopperT

HSC
Yea its only the assessments that count
-if u miss an assessment, I think they use ur class marks to get an idea of where you are in the class/grade, and give you an estimated assessment mark.

But otherwise, we are told class marks mean nothing to your assessment marks/HSC?ATAR

youandmexo

HSC
Yea its only the assessments that count
-if u miss an assessment, I think they use ur class marks to get an idea of where you are in the class/grade, and give you an estimated assessment mark.

But otherwise, we are told class marks mean nothing to your assessment marks/HSC?ATAR
yeah thats pretty true - i think. because when i got my hsc results last year my class marks were not used at all by my understanding. it was just my rank :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are your class marks your assessment marks or are they different?

At my school we don't put any class marks, based on day to day class work on the reports. Class marks based on everyday work doesn't matter at all.

Assessment marks matter because that is what is sent to the BOS and on which the BOS bases your ranks for calculation of assessment and HSC marks.

FreeWorld

HSC
I have a class mark + rank and an assessment mark + rank. It's funny because my assessment mark is relatively high because other english teachers had marked it but my class mark is nothing compared to my assessment rank/mark which was decided by my own teacher.

English is bad enough as it is beign compulsory, fortunately class mark does not count! or atleast that is what im assuming because my teacher would of had messed me up big time. I don't understand why teachers arent resonably generous because they been in our position before and know that everyone just wants to acquire a decent job and get on with life. Sometimes english teachers can be very bias and eccentric...

GTwin

HSC
I don't think we get a class mark either. On our reports is our half yearlies mark and thats it. But our assessments count (and the half yearly is an assessment obviously...)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't think we get a class mark either. On our reports is our half yearlies mark and thats it. But our assessments count (and the half yearly is an assessment obviously...)
I have just set three half-yearly exams for my Year 12s (Modern, Ancient and Extension History) which didn't count and rarely does Ext 1 English half-yearly counted at my place.

FreeWorld

HSC
well i just hope that my class mark/rank does not count because that psychotic bitch is attempting to screw me up.

youandmexo

HSC
alright i am probably wrong but this is how it seemed my hsc marks worked.
alright so you get 2 marks - an exam mark (which is your actual hsc mark) and your assessment mark. basically, your assessment mark relates to your rank.

so say you were ranked 2nd in a subject. in the hsc, you sit the test for this subject and you get 90. say this is the highest mark that the cohort at your school achieve in the hsc exam. assume the mark that is after 90 is 88.
so what will happen is, you keep the 90 as your exam mark however the person that is ranked first will take 90 as their ASSESSMENT mark. then you, because you are ranked 2nd, take the 88 as your assessment mark. therefore your overall hsc mark for that subject will be 89.
your overall hsc mark is the average of your exam and assessment mark.

does that make sense? its pretty complicated. im not sure if that is 100% correct but that was the way it worked when i got my hsc results last year :)

FreeWorld

HSC
thanks for the comprehensive explanation but my question was sort of about the half yearly report marks which includes two separate marks and which would be sent to board of studies. But i assume that it is only the assessment mark that would be sent as the class mark is probably just the homework etc.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thanks for the comprehensive explanation but my question was sort of about the half yearly report marks which includes two separate marks and which would be sent to board of studies. But i assume that it is only the assessment mark that would be sent as the class mark is probably just the homework etc.
You really need to ask your school what marks they are using as each school is different in what they report to kids.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
alright i am probably wrong but this is how it seemed my hsc marks worked.
alright so you get 2 marks - an exam mark (which is your actual hsc mark) and your assessment mark. basically, your assessment mark relates to your rank.

so say you were ranked 2nd in a subject. in the hsc, you sit the test for this subject and you get 90. say this is the highest mark that the cohort at your school achieve in the hsc exam. assume the mark that is after 90 is 88.
so what will happen is, you keep the 90 as your exam mark however the person that is ranked first will take 90 as their ASSESSMENT mark. then you, because you are ranked 2nd, take the 88 as your assessment mark. therefore your overall hsc mark for that subject will be 89.
your overall hsc mark is the average of your exam and assessment mark.

does that make sense? its pretty complicated. im not sure if that is 100% correct but that was the way it worked when i got my hsc results last year :)

Major mistake - the 2nd ranked student doesn't necessarily get the 2nd exam mark as their assessment mark. They get a mark that reflects their rank and the gap between them and first.

youandmexo

HSC
Major mistake - the 2nd ranked student doesn't necessarily get the 2nd exam mark as their assessment mark. They get a mark that reflects their rank and the gap between them and first.
thats not how it worked with my hsc marks but anyway...thanks :)
i knew i was wrong somewhere. so do you mean like only the first person will get the first mark? :\

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thats not how it worked with my hsc marks but anyway...thanks :)
i knew i was wrong somewhere. so do you mean like only the first person will get the first mark? :\
First and last get the top and bottom marks (unless there are statistic anomalies).

The rest of the exam marks are added and that is the number of assessment marks available but they don't just to a straight swap such as 2nd exam mark was 92 so 2nd assessment mark is 92. That wouldn't always be fair, especially if the gap is greater either in the assessment or in the exam. e.g. in the assessment the gap between first and second was 10 marks but in the exam it was 2 it wouldn't be fair on the first place to suddenly have the gap between the top two reduced by that much just as it wouldn't be fair if second was only a mark behind in the assessments but has a bad day on the exam day and comes in 15 marks behind the first (sure the exam mark will reflect that but it would be a double penalty to also make the exam mark that way).

The gaps have to be preserved along with the ranks which is why they don't simply use the same exam marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)