English confession? (1 Viewer)

Glorious

HSC
Okay so a heads up from someone in the "exam predictions" thread has brought forward what the BOS website has said about the english papers for tuesday and wednesday - here is what it says -

On Wednesday students enrolled in English Standard complete three essays in two hours, one each on Experience through language, Close study of a text, and Texts and society. English Advanced students also write three essays in two hours. They are based on Comparative study of texts and content, Critical study of texts, Representation and Text. ESL students do two essays based on Experience through language and Texts and Society in one hour and then answer questions based on an audio recording for 30 minutes.

SO, does that mean they're all essays?!

Edit: LINK -

http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2011/10/17/Written-English-HSC-exams-start-tomorrow

aefarrugia

HSC
doesn't mean it will just be essays (however I predict they all are) it is simply easier to say essays rather than speech, feature article, interview etc which would give to much away.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think essay is just used in the general sense it. It doesn't confirm or deny a different text type

Glorious

HSC
Could of just said text type or something. Meh, I dont know. Whatever it is, we'll just have to deal with it.

brettymaccc

HSC
I think essay is just used in the general sense it. It doesn't confirm or deny a different text type
No, I think 'essay' is specific. If they didn't want to be so specific, they should've said "Extended Response".

My point is, if they said 'Feature Article', then we'd know it's a feature article.
They said 'essay', so we know it's an essay.
If they said 'Extended Response', we have no idea what it is.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No, I think 'essay' is specific. If they didn't want to be so specific, they should've said "Extended Response".

My point is, if they said 'Feature Article', then we'd know it's a feature article.
It probably is an essay, but essay is a generic term. No one would refer to a general text type as a feature article, whereas the same is not true for essay.

o_0

HSC

es·say/ˈesā/
Noun: A short piece of writing on a particular subject.

TorMental

HSC
Lol, lets hope so, but expect the worst case and prepare!

Clarky13

HSC
"a composition on or adaption of a studied text"

Does that mean what I think it means?

username_x

HSC
N/A
"a composition on or adaption of a studied text"
don't quite get it :|

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Article or speech.

Damn I was preparing for a narrative - that goes out the window.

So guys... any suggestions for writing speeches/narratives?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)