english ext 1... critical, creative or both? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Omg really, that’s so exciting! For my prescribed texts my class (the 2 of us ☠) are doing Clay, The Hunter, and William Wordsworth. As for selected texts we are doing 14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible (documentary) and Where the Crawdads Sing (novel), except I’m only really familiar with 14 peaks.
you guys use the same related text for your whole (albeit very small) class? that makes so much sense... we were told to just go off on our own and find something that would work D:

TrueAlpha

HSC
Oh da
you guys use the same related text for your whole (albeit very small) class? that makes so much sense... we were told to just go off on our own and find something that would work D:
Oh damn, that sucks. But yeh, we decided to study our selected texts all together. Since it’s myself and another student it was good to go in depth with our teacher on the same text, especially some she was quite knowledgeable about.

HSC
Oh da

Oh damn, that sucks. But yeh, we decided to study our selected texts all together. Since it’s myself and another student it was good to go in depth with our teacher on the same text, especially some she was quite knowledgeable about.
yeah, sounds like the right way to go about it tbh! good luck with intersecting, seems like a fun one : )

Rattlehead15

HSC
I've never seen a question that asked for anything except "2 prescribed and at least one related" but I suppose that doesn't prohibit them from changing it this year lol
Yup every paper in this syllabus has been 2 prescribed one related. For that reason Im not preparing a second related. I heavilly doubt they will do 2 related since that'll make the subject 66% own text and 33% the actual class content. I just don't see that happening and if it does ig Ill take the E2

Rattlehead15

HSC
What is everyone's opinion on memorising essays? Is it worth while or should I just memorise arguments and quotes? I've never done it before so I'm worried it may be too late to try something this new but at the same time I feel like, unlike advanced, to do well in extension it demands a sophistication only achieved by writing a thoroughly prepared response.

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
What is everyone's opinion on memorising essays? Is it worth while or should I just memorise arguments and quotes? I've never done it before so I'm worried it may be too late to try something this new but at the same time I feel like, unlike advanced, to do well in extension it demands a sophistication only achieved by writing a thoroughly prepared response.
dont memorise ext. too much work, and it gets worse marks anyway. you may think that it "demands a sophistication only achieved by writing a thoroughly prepared response", but really its the opposite. it needs adaptability and direct interaction w the question

Rattlehead15

HSC
dont memorise ext. too much work, and it gets worse marks anyway. you may think that it "demands a sophistication only achieved by writing a thoroughly prepared response", but really its the opposite. it needs adaptability and direct interaction w the question
True but is there any harm if I do memorise one? I don't have any other exams until extension so I have 5 days to memorise and practice adapting it to past HSC questions. I could just end up not using it on the day if it doesn't suit the question.

Also should probably mention this is obviously for Section II.

HSC
True but is there any harm if I do memorise one? I don't have any other exams until extension so I have 5 days to memorise and practice adapting it to past HSC questions. I could just end up not using it on the day if it doesn't suit the question.

I mean i memorise all my essay analysis and my marks for them are good so if you want to go ahead - but even then you use it loosely in the exam because you haveeee to adapt to the question. i feel like the concern is that if this is your first time doing the memorising method it might not end favourably because you've never done it in an exam condition before and this is literally the last exam you will do it in probably?

Rattlehead15

HSC
I mean i memorise all my essay analysis and my marks for them are good so if you want to go ahead - but even then you use it loosely in the exam because you haveeee to adapt to the question. i feel like the concern is that if this is your first time doing the memorising method it might not end favourably because you've never done it in an exam condition before and this is literally the last exam you will do it in probably?
Yup this will be my last essay in high school 🤣 But this is my worst subject marks wise so it may be worth the risk of trying something new since obviously what Ive been doing previously hasnt been working. And even if I dont memorise one, based on my previous marks such as trials, I will be getting a mediocre mark anyway. So I dont have much to lose.

itsalovehaterelo

HSC

by memorising one you kind of force yourself to go with what you memorised. obviously theres pros either way, but i've only dropped 3 marks this year on english extension so i dont think memorising is the go.

Velli_Killi

HSC
whats everyone guessing for common mod this year? im praying for a creative i dont know criticallll
So looks like I'm a bit late lol, I think it might be a full creative or a creative/critical split... mainly because it seemed to follow a pattern and the independent schools and catholic schools trial papers were both full creative

Velli_Killi

HSC
I'd memorise quotes and like phrases that are really strong and sophisticated. One thing my teacher told me when I asked if I could write what she tells us word for word is that as long as you have it memorised and you're writing it without notes, the really slay phrases will give you better marks. (and yes she said slay phrases..)

Velli_Killi

HSC
Oh da

That's what our class did for our related texts! since we're a pretty small class of only 9, we all decided to do the same text as our primary related text and we just collaborated on learning it :) also we do reimagined worlds so it gives us a lot of scope

cheesestick

HSC
quick question, if I end up writing the same creative as a I used for eng adv mod c would nesa count that as plagiarism?

HSC
quick question, if I end up writing the same creative as a I used for eng adv mod c would nesa count that as plagiarism?
I don't think it would, and I doubt there would be any potential for overlap between markers as I'm pretty sure you can't mark both Advanced and Extension. So it's highly unlikely that they would ever know, and if they did somehow realise, comparison of your student number would make it pretty clear that it wasn't plagiarism per se, just recycling.

If we do get creative though, I'm sure the stimulus will necessitate making at least some changes between your composition in Extension 1 and Mod C anyway, so there should be adequate differences to mitigate plagiarism claims, right? It's probably not the best idea to write a carbon copy of your Mod C from both a plagiarism and marks/question relevance perspective.

cheesestick

HSC
I don't think it would, and I doubt there would be any potential for overlap between markers as I'm pretty sure you can't mark both Advanced and Extension. So it's highly unlikely that they would ever know, and if they did somehow realise, comparison of your student number would make it pretty clear that it wasn't plagiarism per se, just recycling.

If we do get creative though, I'm sure the stimulus will necessitate making at least some changes between your composition in Extension 1 and Mod C anyway, so there should be adequate differences to mitigate plagiarism claims, right? It's probably not the best idea to write a carbon copy of your Mod C from both a plagiarism and marks/question relevance perspective.
ye i doubt the stimulus would allow for me to even write the exact same piece but I was just scared that if the story lines, setting or characters were too similar I might get flagged. thanksss!! :)

HSC
ye i doubt the stimulus would allow for me to even write the exact same piece but I was just scared that if the story lines, setting or characters were too similar I might get flagged. thanksss!! :)
Oh yeah, surely just having a similar character or plot would be fine? In that case, I wouldn't worry about it haha, I thought you meant literally rewriting the exact piece of text. : )

Rattlehead15

HSC
If you do just make sure you add to it and expand it since the english extension section I is 1 hour of writing time while the advanced Mod C is only 40mins writing time. So there will be a more fleshed out creative expected from you due to +20mins writing time and Literary Worlds being a more complex syllabus than Craft of Writing although theyre similar.

idkimstressedlol

HSC
idk if this is the right thread but could one of you look at my essay for worlds of upheaval and tell me the best way to cut down its 1750 words which is way too much or point me in the right direction of what thread to look at. You don't need to give me any feedback (although if you did that would be most appreciated) just give me some advice on how to cut down!!

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)