English Ext 2 VS Maths Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

KayNine

HSC
Hey, I'm doing both maths and english extension 2.
The question here is should I drop one of them, and if so which one?
Or, should I just keep them both?

brendroid

HSC
I found English Extension 2 to be stressful but rewarding, but that may be because I'm a writer and it meant one less subject to study for before the HSC. I didn't do it, but some good friends did Maths Extension 2, and they dropped 2U Maths and their Extensions were worth 2 units or something, so in essence you're doing one whole less subject that way. It depends though on what you want to go with of course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Keep the ones you like. I did both of them, ergo - I liked both of them.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can handle the workload and are doing well in both, keep them. It should be personal preference, whatever you're comfortable with keeping or dropping.

HSC
N/A
I found English Extension 2 to be stressful but rewarding, but that may be because I'm a writer and it meant one less subject to study for before the HSC. I didn't do it, but some good friends did Maths Extension 2, and they dropped 2U Maths and their Extensions were worth 2 units or something, so in essence you're doing one whole less subject that way. It depends though on what you want to go with of course.
no your not, you still have to be familiar with 2unit material as they have harder 2unit in the 3unit and 4unit exams

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Like everyone has said before, can you handle the workload?

shimmer205

HSC
The subjects could not be more different and it completely depends on what you prefer and how you are going in each subject. My advice is to keep both for a while, until you have a more clear idea of which you can succeed at. I think that you are more likely to go well in something that you enjoy than something that you hate.

As an Ext 2 English student, I will say that the subject can be a fun 'escape' from other sorts of study over the HSC year. It is totally different to other courses, a great creative outlet, and best of all there is NO FINAL EXAM. So for me, the decision would be easy. But I suppose you can be more assured of good marks in a maths based course, because there is a right and wrong answer, so if you master the technique, you can get the marks. With English, you have to figure out what it is the examiners are looking for.

Hope that helps!

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
As other people have said... do both if you can handle them. Otherwise play to your strengths.

But... a lot of people in my year this year were expected to get very high external marks in ex2, but ended up getting unexpectedly low ones. Ie getting high 40's internally and ending up with marks in the 30's externally. (And normally our school is pretty good at predicting.) So I'm just saying, if you're doing 10 units and you're aiming for a high atar, do it at your own risk.

Other than that, I don't mean to disrespect english in the 'english vs maths' debate, but it is a lot easier to do well in it than in 4u maths, so.. yeah. Only you can decide!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
After doing the maths course, and getting very bored with it, I'd definitely recommend taking the extension English course. Also after I got my HSC results I certainly discovered that I had excelled in biological science electives in the sciences and also went very well in the humanities.

This said, if you can manage to even do both, I would have.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats pretty awesome. Hmmm your articulate and logical =]

KayNine

HSC
Thank you all for your posts! It helped me a great deal :)
I think I'll continue wiht both subjects for the time being and if I have to, drop the one I'm weaker at.
I will try my best to take both for the HSC though :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)