English is a waste of life. (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I am studying for a career in programming. English is the most irrelevant subject possible for me.
Please enlighten me on how analysing poems is going to further my career as a programmer
It won't. The use of language skills behind it though, will.

Deviant Bone

HSC
Developing a program that can instantly analyse any poem in the English language.
The processes and information required for that program would be provided by the client.

It won't. The use of language skills behind it though, will.
How exactly? where would these skills be used in the context of a programmer? Anything not taught in Software Design and Development?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
How exactly? where would these skills be used in the context of a programmer? Anything not taught in Software Design and Development?
Language skill pretty much play a big part in almost any job. I'm not saying it'll be the most important thing to know, but it's useful.

Deviant Bone

HSC
Language skill pretty much play a big part in almost any job. I'm not saying it'll be the most important thing to know, but it's useful.
I learn those debatably useful language skills in a relevant context in Software Design, making English a waste of 2 units that would have gone to something of more use to me.

proletariat

HSC
English is a great subject. I love it.

I just hate my stupid bitchy feminist teacher that draws up a circle and asks me to find the corner if I want a good mark D:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
making English a waste of 2 units that would have gone to something of more use to me.
There are probably more useful things. I'm just mentioning its not a total waste.

bbychocoholic

HSC
English is torture...It is also ruining every book, movie, ad or any form of media I read. watch, listen to etc. for I cannot stop analysing them. GRRR!

I think English "belongs" in a hole, because I don't see where it's going to help me in the future. ><"

HSC
Uni Grad
Good language skills are learnt before 11 and 12 imo, 11 and 12 are just over analysing texts to the point all meaning is lost and unintended inferences are drawn.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Good language skills are learnt before 11 and 12 imo, 11 and 12 are just over analysing texts to the point all meaning is lost and unintended inferences are drawn.
I find that they're constantly developing. I'm a much better writer now than I was four years ago.

HSC
Uni Grad
I find that they're constantly developing. I'm a much better writer now than I was four years ago.
That's true, I can't say 11 and 12 really made any noticible difference but it might have.

Proof that they are constantly developing is when I write something and look at it like 6 months or more later and think "what the fuck was I smoking when I wrote this shit!".

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Proof that they are constantly developing is when I write something and look at it like 6 months or more later and think "what the fuck was I smoking when I wrote this shit!".
lol. I've had that experience before. :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
English is by far the most time consuming subject during exam-blocks.. well for me anyway

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I know what you mean about analysing poetry. I couldn't see the sense of it and since I don't tend to find joy in reading poetry, I still don't enjoy it.

BUT, now that I am writing novels I can appreciate the deeper levels of meaning that can be hidden in words because I'm putting them there, purposefully and inadvertantly.

Finding the joy in words is not for everyone, but if we were not all given the chance to try it, then we would not know what we were missing out on if we never did it.

BUT then again, I am sure there are many people who would find the joy of maths an elusive thing as well and want it dropped into the deepest hole on earth.

Horses for courses.

xV1P3R

HSC
I know what you mean about analysing poetry. I couldn't see the sense of it and since I don't tend to find joy in reading poetry, I still don't enjoy it.

BUT, now that I am writing novels I can appreciate the deeper levels of meaning that can be hidden in words because I'm putting them there, purposefully and inadvertantly.

Finding the joy in words is not for everyone, but if we were not all given the chance to try it, then we would not know what we were missing out on if we never did it.
+1. English allows for development of a level of sophistication in your speech that perhaps no other HSC course will do. But in some cases English just makes you draw more meaning from a text than even the composer had ever intended.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Yeah. Gotta wonder if Shakespeare actually intended all of those meanings teachers draw from his plays?

bored of sc

HSC
I'm finding the skills I learned in HSC english are a pretty big help at uni; while the knowledge of Shakespeare is not so crucial, the reading and writing components certainly are. At least in medicine anyway.
+1 Same here!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah. Gotta wonder if Shakespeare actually intended all of those meanings teachers draw from his plays?
I'm willing to bet any money, he didnt even know he was using those "techniques" which were derived later on in life.

His purpose was to entertain, not to be chopped up by people in high school 500 years later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)