English is a waste of life. (2 Viewers)

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
that is exactly my point. you cant change it. hence stop whining and start studying.
We all know what happens when I stop whining about the BOS: I go to jail.

And we also know my thoughts on studying for English. I'll just keep studying for my other subjects... slowly. And why exactly are you telling me to study when you are not?

Born2baplacebo said:
I'm only on here cos it's 1.30 in the moring and I'm bored shitless.
Get a better job which requires you to have 3 or more braincells when you wake up, or just get a better job so you can invest in other means of entertainment.

That is assuming you have a job :uhoh:

And I'm glad you realised that I'm right, since you seem to be stuck for words on every other aspect of my response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
I just can't be bothered conversing with someone who hates learning our own language. Not saying you're right I'm just not going to put in the effort. It's like talking to a backchatting five year old.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
prichardson said:
We all know what happens when I stop whining about the BOS: I go to jail.

And we also know my thoughts on studying for English. I'll just keep studying for my other subjects... slowly. And why exactly are you telling me to study when you are not?
bwahahahahaha.

p.s. its because im awesome. :D

p.p.s. youre thoughts on studying for english is irrelevant if you want to perform at your best for the hsc.

Last edited:

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Born2baplacebo said:
I just can't be bothered conversing with someone who hates learning our own language. Not saying you're right I'm just not going to put in the effort. It's like talking to a backchatting five year old.
Well it seems that this 5 year old has destroyed all of your points of argument, so that must be pretty scathing for you.

And stop being a moron and jumbling what I have said - and intentionally repeated! - so many times on this forum:

I hate the BOS VERSION OF ENGLISH!

Please refer to most of my other posts which either contain on or both of:

1) I enjoy our language
2) I respect spelling and grammar

And also, why say that you can't be bothered with someone who doesn't want to learn our language like I'm some evil migrant who purposely tries to isolate themselves from the culture they have moved to ( [EDIT] -especially since I am a proud 7th generation Australian, and thinking about what you implied really does irritate me)... have you noticed how I am arguing that English as a subject has nothing more to offer me by way of teaching? I think that I have proven quite adequately that in saying that I am correct.

Have fun comparing yourself to a "5 year old" and being beaten :D

melanieeeee. said:
bwahahahahaha.

p.s. its because im awesome. :D

p.p.s. youre thoughts on studying for english is irrelevant if you want to perform at your best for the hsc.
In response to bwahahahaha.

No comment. :mad:

To the p.s.:

Like 3 or 4 awesomes or what? You need to be more clear :confused:

To the p.p.s.:

Touche, touche... but it is my absolute last priority as far as study goes. :)

[EDIT] -anyway, I'll just procure notes from somewhere, ie. here, so I don't have to torture myself with thinking like an English teacher when I write my notes... then I can just remember them by recalling in the exam "what is the most bullshit thing I have read in the last week? Hmmm..." *Starts writing the essay*.

[EDIT #2] -or I could just do what I normally do in essays... let my imagination run with it. The essay for my Gwen Harwood assessment I studied for on the morning of the assessment and really, beyond remembering what the text actually said and quotes and things, the study didn't invlove much else. In the exam I decided that all of her poems represented a Ying-Yang ideology and convinced the marker that a Christian reading was wrong as Harwood was obviously (consciously or not) a Bhuddist. Hehe.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Also... I love how this thread says English is a waste of life rather than time.

How very poetic. :eek:

[EDIT] -don't any of you fuckers dare tell me that the only reason I like the name is because I've done English... :|

scaredytiger said:
im always kinky.
its part of my charm.
Excellent, excellent... :D

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Indeed.

Well, anything is a waste of life when it brings negative aspects to your life, really =O

It's certainly a waste of my life, because it'll drag down my UAI xD

But, shit happens. Sleep a little less, and ta-da! You have more life to spend!

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
minijumbuk said:
Indeed.

Well, anything is a waste of life when it brings negative aspects to your life, really =O

Or you destroy your braincells and thereby reduce your life by trying to extend it...

And yes, it is late. I'm going to go to bed now and read for another 45 mins... haha.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm in my 3rd year bachelor of environmental science, and I can say HSC Advanced English, though difficult and frustrating, and seemingly unrelated to my degree, was by far the most usefull subject I took as preparation for tertiary education.

Suck it up. English is the most usefull subject you'll do and the HSC program isn't that bad.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
charlesdinio said:
English is a waste of life.

Why do we bother?

Let us study things we actually WANT to study.

And if anyone can explain how it relates to life, feel free to explain!
You are a waste of life. But frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Moreover, English is probably the most fun HSC subject and definitely worth studying. I say this as somebody who did 4 unit maths and is doing computer science at uni.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Indeed.

LOL

TO OP: I don't see how English can be a waste of your life. Just like other subjects, it has got a purpose and use in it. It is possible it will bring my UAI down to some extent but you cannot always do what you like, can you? (and certainly not the subjects that you are always good at) I try to embrace it by having a subject that I am not extremely adept at. It gives me something to work on. :D

I recently found that my writing skills significantly improved due to constant essayas tasks. In turn, this helps other subjects where a certain degree of sophistication and complexity in writing is required.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Guess this has sorta turned into another one of those: "Should English be compulsory?" sort threads.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
English is an important course. I just feel it could have been done better. I just don't believe the course was structured well enough, it was focused more on recognising or identifying one technique or another rather than in actual writing and reading, and in many cases interpolating meanings into works which just isn't there.

Atleast that's what I saw many times. In particular when students were asked to find sources which employed one technique or other, as 'related texts', and sometimes these 'related texts' overlapped to create on huge incomprehensible disaster, that is somehow passed off as an analysis of one writing technique or another.

It just doesn't represent English in my opinion. English is not supposed to be used to portray hidden meanings, or techniques to portray one idea or another. English is a language which is communicated, because it's easy to communicate, easy to learn, and easy to write. Yet this is all lost in the English course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Guess this has sorta turned into another one of those: "Should English be compulsory?" sort threads.
Yes, that truly represent many members' strong aversion towards English.

patty4848

HSC
I can say the exact same thing about maths

........... and the sciences

........... and every other subject

because every subject will have a different use for everyone.

I'm going to study law... do you really think that I want to be spending my life studying year 12 adv maths. NO!

Stop complaining about subjects. It won't change, so just plough through the work, don't stop and think why, and just do your best in the last term of year 12.

And, I'm assuming (because 99% of people who hate english are) that you aren't doing very well in English. So put more effort in. Focus more in class. Do all of your homework and get practice essays and compositions done and marked by your teacher. Your mark will hence improve and you will probably enjoy english slightly more!!!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Born2baplacebo said:
You know what I'm sick of hearing from whiney high school students? "English is a waste of life". God fucking sakes, how the hell are we supposed to know our own language? If you don't want to, go overseas, learn Arabic and then blow yourself up. English is the most respected language in the world that has the best words in it, like "Go fucking kill yourself you emo cunts if you don't like English". You may not like the texts involved in any level of high school English studies but in the long run it comes in handy for arguments against say..."Brave New World was a shitty book" you've read the book and then you can argue. It's only an idle example and it teaches you basic grammer and spelling that is a life skill that you use everytime you open your mouth and you're not opening it to breathe.

Fuck, you high schoolers are stupid and blind when it comes to the basic subjects that are implemented by the board of studies, like maths for an another example. Again it's a life skill that you use everyday.

Also doing well in such subjects gets you a place in a university which gets you places further down the track in life and gets you off the sidewalk in places like Kings Cross. Unless, that rocks your boat, getting STI's from strangers.
+1

and LOL

Born2baplacebo said:
I did both yr 12 and yr 11 Adv. English and I apologise for poor grammer, I am currently unwell.

For your information, like as previously stated, English gets you into Arts and it got me a place at CSU with a BA. Well, I don't know that it happens in every case, again, it's the basic skill to a lifetime. I wish it was just spelling and whatnot, but you have to learn texts for a reason. And one them includes, it teaches you new words. Like before I read BNW I didn't know what the word vicarious meant. You had the chance to drop out at year 10 suffer the consequences of staying on to the further years.

Stop whining. It only proves you have no life.
*grammar.

No physical ailment ever has impaired my spelling, grammar and punctuation.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Graney said:
I'm in my 3rd year bachelor of environmental science, and I can say HSC Advanced English, though difficult and frustrating, and seemingly unrelated to my degree, was by far the most usefull subject I took as preparation for tertiary education.

Suck it up. English is the most usefull subject you'll do and the HSC program isn't that bad.
So, tell me, which areas does it help you with?

patty4848 said:
I can say the exact same thing about maths

........... and the sciences

........... and every other subject

because every subject will have a different use for everyone.

I'm going to study law... do you really think that I want to be spending my life studying year 12 adv maths. NO!

Stop complaining about subjects. It won't change, so just plough through the work, don't stop and think why, and just do your best in the last term of year 12.

And, I'm assuming (because 99% of people who hate english are) that you aren't doing very well in English. So put more effort in. Focus more in class. Do all of your homework and get practice essays and compositions done and marked by your teacher. Your mark will hence improve and you will probably enjoy english slightly more!!!
You can't say that same thing about maths or the sciences or anything else, because those are all subjects which you pick which will contribute to your desired future, and they are also subjects which involve skills which are applicable to some later life/career choice which cannot be found elsewhere.

And based on previous posts I have identified that HSC English [at least, HSC Advanced English... ESL certainly does] doesn't have a use for anyone.

Also, I like to think about why I do things, I tend to think that type of thing stops me from becoming a machine.

2 or 3 of the people on this thread who have said that English sucks [out of not many more, who haven't even said if they're doing well in it, so we don't know, the might be], such as myself, have also said that they are doing well in it. The thread isn't long, why don't you read it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)