English Standard or Advanced? (1 Viewer)

kibvmmie

HSC
I have to indicate my HSC subject selections on Friday and truth be told, I've been sulking over making this decision. The thing is, I haven't enjoyed senior English at all (except extension was amazing but I had to drop because I have to fix my advanced mark) therefore I haven't put any effort into my essays and basically walked into exams with nothing. Clearly, this is an indication I should just do standard but I have an ATAR aim of 90 (95 in my dreams) and I know my marks could be great in advanced with motivation but I'm really unsure. My current advanced rank is =119/260(?) but I seriously didn't study for the exams at all. What am I gonnaaaa dooooooo ;;;;;

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Stay in Advanced. Advanced aligns a lot better.

Aligning-proportion getting band 6s,5s,4s

You are sitting the HSC next year, so you still have time to make a massive impact on your english rank/improve your skills.

kibvmmie

HSC
Stay in Advanced. Advanced aligns a lot better.

Aligning-proportion getting band 6s,5s,4s

You are sitting the HSC next year, so you still have time to make a massive impact on your english rank/improve your skills.
Aligning confuses the heck out of me, but thanks c:

A lot of people don't like English. Suck it up, princess, and try improve your ranks
All of my ranks are decent except for English, but yeah, I guess.

sharoooooo

HSC
advanced!
i dont like english either but... *sigh* you gotta do what you gotta do for that 90+ Atar

WHPH

HSC
Some uni courses have advanced eng as a prereq. (not sure what you're planning to do in UNI) but stay with advanced, locate your mistakes and try to fix them before year 12 :eek:

kibvmmie

HSC
I am pretty sure my goal has no prereqs but advanced would help me out a lot considering the nature of the course - I ultimately opted to keep advanced and I wasn't pulled out by the head teacher to drop so I'm safe!

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Look at your school's past performance in both using topscores.info and you can get a rough rank of the B6 cut-off (The higher your school rank is, the better the estimate). You should expect people to start doing better as you get into HSC english since prelim english means naught i.e. don't rely on the current rank as an indicator for HSC if you put the same effort in. In saying that, if you did walk into the exams with barely anything and achieved that ranking, then of course you have potential for a higher ranking... But you can also say that your cohort has a lot of flops in it. People have already voiced their opinion on aligning as such and this is important as it can make a lot of differences --> IIRC from my year, B6 for Advanced was ~80 whilst for Standard was ~90 upwards raw mark out of 105. Take this with a grain of salt: My 2013 school cohort was older and the school ranks were different, but your ranking would've fetched a low B5 moderated assessment mark.

All in all, stick with Advanced, be consistent throughout the year, and you'll be happy you didn't choose Standard. You have a lot of humanities subjects, keep refining your essay skills across your subjects and I am sure you'll do well!

Last edited:

the_matrix

HSC
kind of delayed but; DON'T DO STANDARD!!

I go to a decent selective school and in the English Standard stream, the mid year results were:
- ZERO As
- 6 Bs
- ~40 Cs
etc

Two of the people who received Bs were people who I knew were very capable to doing Advanced English - they have also requested to transfer to Advance. If you're decent at English, stay in Advance. Otherwise you're going to have to try thrice as hard in Standard to compete with Advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)