English Trials (1 Viewer)

minttey

HSC
supercalamari said:
Texts. Umm.

Golden Compass advertisement, LOL.
Mr Bean.
Some random story about some old guy's childhood.
Peter Strzynecki poem.
Beyond Blue website.

I can't remember anything else sorry :)

is the poem called Felics Skrzynecki, St Patricks Collge or 10 Mary St??
if u dont rememer the name can u plz plz plz check the poems on google and tell me wich 1 came in the eng trial exam
thanx HEAPS i really appreciate it

rolror88

HSC
N/A
minttey said:
is the poem called Felics Skrzynecki, St Patricks Collge or 10 Mary St??
if u dont rememer the name can u plz plz plz check the poems on google and tell me wich 1 came in the eng trial exam
thanx HEAPS i really appreciate it
Forgot the name of the poem.. But Skrzynecki was an old boy of my school ~ I didn't know he wrote a poem about his school. Interesting lol.

aimhigh10

HSC
woooo i was kind of lucky.. i didnt have english trials but its kind of bad because now i dont know what to expect in the real exam...

minttey

HSC

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
ROFL

It seems most of us had the same trial paper for english! I had the same paper also, golden compass, Mr. Bean, Peter Skyzrnecki's poem, and Beyond Blue. For writing I had the speech and creative writing about childhood memory. What a coincidence?

I got 20/20 for the childhood memory writing task but havn't got any news on the other parts of the test. Damn! i need to get really good in the multiple choice to make up for the beyong blue section where I misread the question and gave visual techniques instead of language. Argg!! Lost 4 marks!

Lets hope I'm lucky...

ConfuzzIed

HSC
Holy crap, we had that paper too..

Havn't got any back but the speech, got 10/10 for it. 8)

But ohmygod, definitely didn't put freedom for that multiple choice one, >_<

*panic

MMAARRZZ

HSC
N/A
hey
by the way did anyone do the "independent" trial for science...

nessarhino

HSC
Yeah we did the Golden Compass one too.
My multiple choice mark was quite devasting (38).
I haven't gotten my story back yet though.

suzlee

HSC
MMAARRZZ said:
hey

like muffin said if you mean the school-derived trial paper... yes, my school did that.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
MMAARRZZ said:
hey
I think he means this "company" called "independent". I know for sure the golden compass english paper was made by the company "independent" cos I saw my teacher reading out the answers from that sheet.

Not sure if our science paper was made by the company "independent" also, but our science paper did have the bit where you had to construct a flow chart from the stimulus booklet (something bout hypothesis and modifying...).

-------------------

I just got back my english multiple choice today. Only got 38 out of 45 though.... :( (apparently the highest in our year for multiple choice was 40). I know for writing I got 20/20, now I just have to wait for the beyond blue section where I CARELESSLY MISREAD the question and am probably going to lose 4 marks!

From my calculations, I don't think I'll be getting a band six for trials cos 88% would be my highest mark. So lets just hope my calculations are wrong and some scaling, etc comes into play...

*fingers crossed*

DutchessDeluded

HSC
Paradox1345 said:
I think he means this "company" called "independent". I know for sure the golden compass english paper was made by the company "independent" cos I saw my teacher reading out the answers from that sheet.

Not sure if our science paper was made by the company "independent" also, but our science paper did have the bit where you had to construct a flow chart from the stimulus booklet (something bout hypothesis and modifying...
yeahh thats the one we dun today...it was alrite gave me a bit of a headache
an the english paper was the same one as evry1 elses an tomoz is maths which i am dreading because i DONT LIKE that subject...guess i better cross my fingers aswell

speedofsound

HSC
Paradox1345 said:
-------------------

I just got back my english multiple choice today. Only got 38 out of 45 though.... :( (apparently the highest in our year for multiple choice was 40). I know for writing I got 20/20, now I just have to wait for the beyond blue section where I CARELESSLY MISREAD the question and am probably going to lose 4 marks!
38 is very good, considering the highest was 40 and the multiple choice was really tricky. I thought it was really hard.

fully223

HSC
Paradox1345 said:
ROFL

It seems most of us had the same trial paper for english! I had the same paper also, golden compass, Mr. Bean, Peter Skyzrnecki's poem, and Beyond Blue. For writing I had the speech and creative writing about childhood memory. What a coincidence?

I got 20/20 for the childhood memory writing task but havn't got any news on the other parts of the test. Damn! i need to get really good in the multiple choice to make up for the beyong blue section where I misread the question and gave visual techniques instead of language. Argg!! Lost 4 marks!

Lets hope I'm lucky...
We did that test too..

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
Just remembered, our english teacher also said the test was quite hard but not sure if she just said that to comfort us lol.

I got back my trials for maths, only 94%. Its a band six but still I wanted something like 97. It was an easy test overall, just made some silly mistakes.

----------------------------

Now to share some correct answers:

English Paper:

The question about what commemorate meant was: b) to honour [got that right yay!!!!!!!]

The correct answers for the last section about the biography are as follows:

a,c,c,a,b,a,a,c,a,d,c,a,c,c.

Lol I doubt this will be useful cos no one would remember but you never know.

The one about the connotation about the bird in the poem is: "freedom'. (I think, 90% sure thats what it said in the answers, can't remember clearly)

The correct answer for the question about golden compass' purpose is: to influence the reader to buy the dvd (something along the lines of that). [I got this wrong and chose the "to entice the reader to watch the movie", I mean according to the ending of the article, the underlying purpose is to make ppl watch the movie!!!!]

The one about what creates humour or makes the Mr. Bean script funny is in fact: situational farce. [got this wrong :(]

Definition of trepidation is: Fear [Got it right! Xd]

Wayward Ward is in fact: Alliteration

The poem question about "What language technique is used in 'concrete slabs lie baking in the sun'?" is in fact: Imagery. [I put personification cos of "lie baking", the emphasis being on "lie". lol but got it wrong]

-----------------------------------

Argggg!!!! So many silly mistakes! The stupid beyond blue section where I am going to lose 4 marks cos I gave visual techniques, is probably going to jeopardize my chance to continue to be top of the year!

My current results:

ENGLISH

Multiple Choice (45):
Text 1- DVD Promotion: 8/10
Text 2 - Television Script: 13/15
Text 3 - Poem (Peter Skyrznecki): 8/10
Text 4 - Autobiography (Chicken bite lol): 14/14

3 Line Answers (15):
UNKNOWN - (lost 4 marks for sure)

Writing Task 1 (10) - Speech
UNKNOWN - (Have a feeling I got ten marks [at least I want to lol])

Writing Task 2 (20) - Creative Writing
20/20 (Wrote about a childhood lost dog that a toddler found)

---------------------------------

I totally agree! The SC trials tests can be so ambiguous. I mean we had this question in maths where the wording was so unclear. I think it was "Calculate the profit if the overcost (total of things to pay) is $XXXX (in addition to the farmer's pay)".

Even our english teacher said its unfortunate the SC doesn't always test skill but instead tests common sense.

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
Paradox1345 said:
Wayward Ward is in fact: Alliteration
Whut. Not happy. So unfair on those of us that are overly analytical lol.

Thank God about the freedom one, but I got the one about trepidation and Mr Bean wrong too. :( I'll be surprised if I get over 35 for the multiple choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)