Equation(s) you believe have had much influence. (1 Viewer)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The standard normal density function (i.e. equation of the normal curve with mean 0 and variance 1)

It's usefulness across every scientific discipline which involves data collection is self explanatory.
omg yer that explains the shit marking by some faculties

It was the first equation that i learnt and i still use it :D

its also carpenter maths

LordPc

HSC
Bayes' Theorem

Where P(A|B) is the probability of A, given that B is true

In the last week, I've learnt about this theorem in 2 separate courses (math and phil) and after that, by coincidence, I learnt that it has relavence to my 2 other courses (computing and psych). so I think it is fair to say that this is a very far reaching mathematical equation

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Bayes' Theorem

Where P(A|B) is the probability of A, given that B is true

In the last week, I've learnt about this theorem in 2 separate courses (math and phil) and after that, by coincidence, I learnt that it has relavence to my 2 other courses (computing and psych). so I think it is fair to say that this is a very far reaching mathematical equation
Beat me to this one. I just learnt about this last week myself, trying to comprehend monty hall type problems :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha! Reminds me of my books full of runescape mathematics - I used this equation a bit:

You seriously were that serious about runescape you made formulae? That is slightly one of the sadest things I have ever heard... the game developers are for this and they are sad excuses for maths and life. XD lol

Mine was a joke.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Conservation of mass

Conservation of energy

Fick's law

Fourier's law

DID YOU KNOW: Bernoulli's equation is a special application of the energy balance on a fluid.

Tastegud

HSC

Cubic formula. If we learn it for the HSC we can find the 3 roots to a cubic equation easily!!
Cbf to post Quartic one coz it's too large and it was the Cubic which found the Quartic anyway.

jet

Banned
HSC
Do explain what this is.
The Einstein Field Equations for general relativity. The LHS describes the curvature of space and the right hand side basically describes matter (in a very abstract form - it actually refers to stress and energy).

In short, it's Einstein's description of the cause of gravity.

LordPc

HSC
Cubic formula. If we learn it for the HSC we can find the 3 roots to a cubic equation easily!!
Cbf to post Quartic one coz it's too large and it was the Cubic which found the Quartic anyway.
why would you memorise all that?

i cannot think of a plausible situation where you couldnt just look the formula up on the net and therefore would need to know that formula off the top of your head

cyclicpermutate

HSC
how does one arrive @ this equation?
To find out just grab the nearest "General Relativity" book and read it. But you would first have to read up on tensor calculus, geodesics, manifolds, and a little topology just to get a basic understanding of the derivation of this formula.

jet

Banned
HSC
To find out just grab the nearest "General Relativity" book and read it. But you would first have to read up on tensor calculus, geodesics, manifolds, and a little topology just to get a basic understanding of the derivation of this formula.
Yup. In cosmology we don't cover the maths because they can only assume we've done stage 5.1 maths. Our textbook explained it in a paragraph, which wasn't very enlightening.

gurmies

Drover
HSC

Ahh, Cardano. Interesting to note that no formula exists to find solutions to equations of a order higher than 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)