Escaping UWS? (1 Viewer)

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
Just found this on a UWS law forum. Obviously a little biased but I thought it was comforting :p

Date: Friday, May 11, 2007 10:14pm

Hi all,
I write in regards to Friday’s heated discussion in Sue's 12-2pm class.
I think the girl's name is Jo, she has the fabulous “Pink” style blonde hair.
I totally agree with your perception of Sydney University.
I grew up and live in the Lower North Shore surrounded with lots of old money and
snobs.
I also went to a private all boys’ school, which scared me for life, but that’s another story.

I was offered a place in the Bachelor of Laws Undergraduate Degree at Sydney and NSW
and UWS, and when deciding which uni to choose, I consulted two friends, who are
successful lawyers.

Michael P. got his degree from Wollongong Uni. He had no problem landing the job he
wanted and said that law firms are looking for diversity, as apposed to the clique Sydney
Uni graduates. When recruiting they focused more on his grades rather than where he
got his degree from.

Mathew G. got his degree from Sydney Uni. He advised me that the name of the uni
means nothing when seeking employment. Sydney Uni lectures were packed with over
100 students, meaning there was no chance of any one on one interaction with lecturers.
The programme was very competitive with students resorting to anything to get
distinctions. They would take books out of the library reserve, slice out the chapter that
the class needed to photocopy for that week, and replace it without anyone else having
access to the material. He described Sydney Uni as being more of a factory rather than a
university.

I decided to go to UWS because I can drive to uni in the morning going against peak
hour traffic, there are no time restrictions with parking, the classes are small which
generate healthy discussion and the lecturers are easily available. UWS has fresh blood
in it and the industry is taking note.

I began my degree last year at the Campbelltown campus and was on the board of the
Law Students Association and was also voted Campus Student President for 2007.
I am re-doing Intro to Law as part of my rehabilitation from post traumatic stress
disorder. If you want to know more just ask, I’m the one sitting in the front row closest
to Sue. I only got his voice back recently, so I’ve been very quiet all semester.

In conclusion, I agree that Sydney Uni is full of “the kind of people Jo described”. We are
fortunate to study Law at UWS and the industry anticipates great things from our
graduates. I know this because my friend Michael (Justice Michael Kirby) told me so.

If any of you are struggling with Torts, Constitutional, Contracts, Criminal or Property,
please let me know. I have great notes and maps. The maps provide a reference to each
scenario with the relevant precedent. All you need do is ask.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
Just because it seems like a stupid choice to you doesn't mean he's crying himself to sleep over it. Maybe you should consider people might have legitimate reasons for having opinions that are different to yours?
no it sounds like he is trying to reassure himself he made the right decision and even quotes MICHAEL (justice michael kirby for you philistines) that uws is super cool, everyone will love it and its on the "up"

uts was established 1 yr before uws yet doesnt have the same stigma as uws

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
jb_nc said:
no it sounds like he is trying to reassure himself he made the right decision and even quotes MICHAEL (justice michael kirby for you philistines) that uws is super cool, everyone will love it and its on the "up"

uts was established 1 yr before uws yet doesnt have the same stigma as uws
I'm not denying that there are a lot of shitty, unmotivated students at UWS. I just think that the uws "stigma" comes from the stupid bogans who do a masters in basket weaving.
There's also no denying that Law students from UWS get less respect (in job applications too) than Law students from the more prestigious universities. The problem is that a lot of people seem to think it's a fair situation. We work hard, we're not any stupider than you. We're just geographically challenged.

Monstar

HSC
Listen bro, when it comes to it all you need to do is do well. Fuck what all these other people are saying man, who gives a fuck. Just grind it out and get like a D average and im sure they'll take you over some UTS, USYD etc kid whose just got Ps. Simple as that.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
I'm not denying that there are a lot of shitty, unmotivated students at UWS. I just think that the uws "stigma" comes from the stupid bogans who do a masters in basket weaving.
There's also no denying that Law students from UWS get less respect (in job applications too) than Law students from the more prestigious universities. The problem is that a lot of people seem to think it's a fair situation. We work hard, we're not any stupider than you. We're just geographically challenged.
yea but that guy lives on the lower north shore which means usyd/unsw are about 45-60mins away (less to st. james) from him at the most and since he established how rich he was ($$$$ SNOb, private SCHOOLS, old money, just gonna call up me old mate hon justice kirby to give u a talking to about law schools) from the first two paragraphs, i'm sure he could afford to pay parking each day

i live there too and i dont know what the fuck this idiot is talking about

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
wtf man, srsly thats what it comes down to man. Its just illustrating its not impossible for you to get a job. ANd where do you live for you to choose USyd over UDubbs

is a roflcopter
HSC
politik said:
... A lesson in economics: You cannot graph qualitative phenomena. That is for Psychology majors.
i was talk about the economics benefits, ie: the money people reportedly save by choosing UWS over USYD/UNSW.

i guess i shouldnt have mentioned the word 'economics' since it clearly provokes a kneejerk smartarse reaction from mr bigshot 2nd year UNSW economics. hardcore! RBA WANTS YOU! hi5

Last edited by a moderator:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
UWS also gives you added incentives if you're from around there. =P
And it gives you something to argue about in bos...
Good times:rolleyes:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
if the above few commentators have had enough of 'my e-penis is bigger', i think melsc's opinion has been most constructive in this thread; certainly, these are reasons which would influence me to not enter or to transfer from UWS.
:uhhuh: the e-penis thing is getting beyond a joke. Get over yourselves, if you have not been to UWS you don't know what it is like so keep your nose out of it unless you have something worthwhile to say.

To those new UWS students: You will learn in your time at UWS how to ignore the bullshit and the people on here who are trying to stir you up so they can bag you out further. I don't know why they seem to have such an obession with it but it is not worthy of your time. Don't ever let them make you feel like shit because you go to UWS, being able to stick it out in any university course, especially law is an achievement. If you don't respond to their nonsense they have nothing to argue about. Don't try and convince them of your reasons for being there, if you like it stay and enjoy it, if you don't try and get out. In the end you know why you are there and you have to only answer to yourself.

I really am sick of the bullshit replies, they do nothing to help the threadposter and all those students who are looking for the same info, in fact I think it would discourage others from asking questions. Grow up and if you don't have something relevant to say, don't say it.

Oh and to whoever (was it you politik)said law was an easy course I beg to differ, yes all university courses are hard but they are not all equal, I am not saying law is the hardest but I find a huge difference in the workload and level of analysis between Law and Arts and others I know have found this too, evidently you are unhappy with yourself and putting others down makes you feel better.

najah

HSC
hey im in yr 12 doing my HSC this year.. and its a bit hard thinking about wat uni'z to get into or degreez.. is UWS that bad? honestly..

when i went to a career expo i asked a man in a lecture if the uni u graduate from makes a difference when getting interviewed for a job.. he sed employee'z dnt care what uni u were studying at.. i asked him soo if i were to get into UWS and another person was in Sydney uni it wouldnt matter.. he sed no.. employee;z are looking for people with a personalityy and somee1 that reallyy wants the job for the right reasonz etc.. soo either way i guess whatever uni u are in.. it doesnt matter.. in the end when u graduatee whatever uni that may be from.. no onee has a higher advantage

Rorix

HSC
*sigh*

It is true that there are no totally identical graduates from UWS and USYD/UNSW. I applaud everyone's intuition in pointing this out to me.

However, the point made is that a USYD/UNSW degree is > a UWS degree. How much > than is of course a question for debate, but this is the point I am clearly making, and only one of you actually responded to the point (saying that the > than is not worth the extra cost, which is a valid line of argument) whereas the rest of you gave your insightful argument of there not being 2 clones of Mr. John Smith with the same marks, same interview skills and same ECs at USYD and UNSW.

Surely the most die hard UWS fan can admit this.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
A few years ago the Daily telegraph published an article on emplyability from universites, i wish i could find the article but from memory UTS, UWS and macquarie were placed in the least likely to be emplyed for most degrees/emplyment fields. But the survery was prob. conducted on a small scale.

I've heard alot of people bad mouthing UWS and macquarie for certain degree's such as law, despite simillar accrediation. People at my school would rather go inter-state or post-grad then go to UWS for law.

Im going to apply for med at UWS this year, but many people at my school dont want to go there for their degree even though it's the closest uni in the western sydney area. It's mainly because of peoples belief in academic prestiege in more longer standing uni's such as Usyd and UNSW and their popularity.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
A few years ago the Daily telegraph published an article on emplyability from universites, i wish i could find the article but from memory UTS, UWS and macquarie were placed in the least likely to be emplyed for most degrees/emplyment fields.
This type of 'study' is not, I don't think, indicative of university quality though. As has been canvassed in this thread and elsewhere, there are numerous factors which affect employability. Unless factors such as UAI are controlled, these results may merely tell us that more hard-working students go to particular universities, and it is hard-workers who are more employable. This tells us nothing about the effect of the university.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
najah said:
hey im in yr 12 doing my HSC this year.. and its a bit hard thinking about wat uni'z to get into or degreez.. is UWS that bad? honestly..

when i went to a career expo i asked a man in a lecture if the uni u graduate from makes a difference when getting interviewed for a job.. he sed employee'z dnt care what uni u were studying at.. i asked him soo if i were to get into UWS and another person was in Sydney uni it wouldnt matter.. he sed no.. employee;z are looking for people with a personalityy and somee1 that reallyy wants the job for the right reasonz etc.. soo either way i guess whatever uni u are in.. it doesnt matter.. in the end when u graduatee whatever uni that may be from.. no onee has a higher advantage
contrary to popular belief, the correct anagram is actually UWZ

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
This type of 'study' is not, I don't think, indicative of university quality though.
Suspicion might also arise by virtue of the fact that it was published by the Telegraph...

Monstar

HSC
Wooz said:
A few years ago the Daily telegraph published an article on emplyability from universites, i wish i could find the article but from memory UTS, UWS and macquarie were placed in the least likely to be emplyed for most degrees/emplyment fields. But the survery was prob. conducted on a small scale.

I've heard alot of people bad mouthing UWS and macquarie for certain degree's such as law, despite simillar accrediation. People at my school would rather go inter-state or post-grad then go to UWS for law.

Im going to apply for med at UWS this year, but many people at my school dont want to go there for their degree even though it's the closest uni in the western sydney area. It's mainly because of peoples belief in academic prestiege in more longer standing uni's such as Usyd and UNSW and their popularity.

lol my dad's mate whose a partner at a big 4 firm told me that they actually prefer kids coming from UTS, UNSW and Macq..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I assume you mean accounting...? You mentioned 'Big 4' -- that is a term that relates to the four major accounting firms.

Accounting and university preference is a whole different ballpark than legal employment

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
All this which uni for law talk always goes round and round in circles. I wish there was an effective way to collate relevant info and for people to ask questions without all the bullshit.

I know this is off topic but MS are you actually going to be working for Mallesons next year? Congrats :)

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I assume you mean accounting...? You mentioned 'Big 4' -- that is a term that relates to the four major accounting firms.

Accounting and university preference is a whole different ballpark than legal employment
Yep. Just trying to dismiss the fact that UTS and Macquarie grads have a hard time finding a job in terms of accounting/finance etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)