Estimate Raw Mark Band Cutoffs (1 Viewer)

Anonymous1

HSC
There is no 'highest mark' for using 'modern historians'. You can achieve a Band 6 without including historiography, unless of course it is a question that was calling for historical debate - i.e the Hatshepsut assess question. However, to fall in the top two bands without the use of historiographical issues would require an extremely coherent response - your writing must 'flair', much like the expected standard for extension history responses.

There are simply some issues that do not require the opinions of historians, thus they should be used only where 'relevant'. Throwing in a quote somewhere where it is irrelevant, and doesn't quite support anything, could actually cause dammage to your response, coherent or not.

daponisher

HSC
I heard that last yrs exam mark to qualify for a band 6 was 92, i recjon after sitting todays it could go up to 94-5 it was that easy

bored6

HSC
daponisher said:
I heard that last yrs exam mark to qualify for a band 6 was 92, i recjon after sitting todays it could go up to 94-5 it was that easy
From whom, spastic?

hrdgrk1

HSC
omg lol....You are all looking at this the wrong way.

You offer a historiographical interpretation when the issue arises, you do not just include it for the point of getting extra marks. They will only increase ure marks if the modern source is included properly.

For Pompeii and Herculaneum there really is no need to offer differing historiographical views and if u do include historians or archaerologists one or two is all u need.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
daponisher said:
From my experience no subject has a cut-off higher than 90 for a 90 because the aligning is to put the range of marks 1 - 100 to virtually 50 - 100 with about 1% of the state getting less than 50% on the reported marks.

Most subjects have a cut-off for Band 6 in the mid-high 80s with some even in the 70s.

I would expect Ancient to be about 86-88 on this year's paper based on my experience of working on the aligning panel for Modern History for a number of years.

samuel slack

HSC
That sounds about right to me... and it'd be pretty nice because I'd probably scrape a low band 6. :)

Scorch

HSC
There is no 'highest mark' for using 'modern historians'. You can achieve a Band 6 without including historiography, unless of course it is a question that was calling for historical debate - i.e the Hatshepsut assess question. However, to fall in the top two bands without the use of historiographical issues would require an extremely coherent response - your writing must 'flair', much like the expected standard for extension history responses.

There are simply some issues that do not require the opinions of historians, thus they should be used only where 'relevant'. Throwing in a quote somewhere where it is irrelevant, and doesn't quite support anything, could actually cause dammage to your response, coherent or not.
That sounds more sensible. Like in the Greek World (500-440) question about assessing the importance of naval battles in the Persian Wars, a quote from a historian or two about the issue is relevant, but I think they're more looking for the fact that you can look at what happened and assess the importance of one aspect for yourself, rather than rabbitting off someone else's words.

@Samuel Slack - same here, I think I may be able to scrape a low band 6.

Last edited:

daponisher

HSC
bored6 said:
From whom, spastic?
Pull your head out your arse mate, if u had an understanding of how the system worked you would know officials judge the test and set a band 6 estimate, i happened to be talking to one of the judges who is a teacher of mine throughout the year and this information was passed on.

I was simply trying to educated dumb arse morons like you who have nothing better to do in their lives then take aim at someone in a chat room.

Go and giveurself an uppercut u dropkick.

Regards

bored6

HSC
daponisher said:
Pull your head out your arse mate, if u had an understanding of how the system worked you would know officials judge the test and set a band 6 estimate, i happened to be talking to one of the judges who is a teacher of mine throughout the year and this information was passed on.

I was simply trying to educated dumb arse morons like you who have nothing better to do in their lives then take aim at someone in a chat room.

Go and giveurself an uppercut u dropkick.

Regards
Nice spelling "u dropkick" - i'm glad you're trying to "educated" me. You are clearly stupid - try reading four posts about yours ("cem") and you'll see your teacher is either a liar or you are a liar and incredibly idiotic. Judging from your post i'm going to assume the latter.

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
Anonymous1 said:

This is not entirely accurate. The marking criteria in the past have had references to "other evidence" and sources get 21/25 - may also evaluate source. (for historical periods). The same is said for the last section of the personalities. Look here for criteria from last years paper. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2006exams/pdf_doc/anc_history_notes_06.pdf

I imagine that it will be the same this year. We do reward students who refer to sources, regardless of whether or not you evaluate them.

Ancient History HSC marking starts tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)