Estimate the length of Harbour Bridge??? (1 Viewer)

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

For this question, wouldn't you already have to have an estimate in mind to make another estimate of the Harbour bridge?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

For this question, wouldn't you already have to have an estimate in mind to make another estimate of the Harbour bridge?
I'm guessing they're asking about arc length? We'd need to know the shape of the bridge (probably can be found online) and dimensions.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I'm guessing they're asking about arc length? We'd need to know the shape of the bridge (probably can be found online) and dimensions.
Nah they're asking for the actual length of the bridge, but you don't get any numerical values for the question. Part of a physics skills test.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Nah they're asking for the actual length of the bridge, but you don't get any numerical values for the question. Part of a physics skills test.
Oh...so the road length basically? And how can you estimate it if you have NO numerical (or even non-numerical) data?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe try google maps I think they have a measuring tool on it...

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Oh...so the road length basically? And how can you estimate it if you have NO numerical (or even non-numerical) data?
These are the solutions

But i actually don't know an approximate length of the bridge to begin with, so it could've been anywhere between 300m-10km for me.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
These are the solutions

But i actually don't know an approximate length of the bridge to begin with, so it could've been anywhere between 300m-10km for me.
If you're sure they're going to ask for a bridge, maybe search up the lengths of some famous bridges to get a feel for how long they tend to be.

The longest bridge in the world is about 164 km according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_bridges_in_the_world .

A typical bridge would probably be less than or approx. equal to 1 km I'm guessing.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I doubt that they are looking for a particular "magic number". They are probably looking for the process you took to get to the answer and whether your approach is correct or not. Also they will most likely consider a specific range of values (so if you answered something between 500 m and 2 km, but you narrowed the range down to an appropriate amount with the range being less than 500 m so that you can get it to approximately 1 sig fig, then maybe that's where you get the marks).

It just seems really silly if they require your answer to be "600 m" to get the full marks.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
lol I remember this from last year

They just want to see you make an appropriate estimate. Saying 623.23947349 metres is obviously not appropriate as it's far too accurate.

And the skills test is easy. I got 29/30 for it last year and most people got a similar mark.

Worry about the final cos that's what will get you rekt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)