everyones studying? ahh (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was pretty shocked to find out the amount of people that have been studying and taking notes on their subjects already!... Personally I think it is totally unnecessary, but that's just me. I think it would be okay to read over the first chapter if you really have to :p

The only thing I've been doing is maths, but that's because it's accelerated (kinda different)

Freckles14

HSC
Don't study before prelim year even starts - it's a waste of time and you'll burn out.
Things you can do that will help you but don't feel like full-on study:
Maths exercises (as much as I hate to say it)
Read books
Play your instrument if you take Music
Maybe just read textbooks if you have them already - that could help you decide if you want to change them, thus eliminating the dropping-subjects-mid-term debacle.
Talk to friends, far away from your desk
Get all your stuff for school and organise your desk
Not think about the HSC

All those would probably help.

Incidentally... 6 hours a day? How old is this kid? Break them out of there somehow!

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I've decided to do a little early study. The reason is that my school's teachers aren't very reliable. They keep saying that we'll do something next lesson but we never do it. the teachers in my school are lazy and always go on holidays and go to every strike. My advice to anyone who wants to do a bit of early study:

Just do some Maths and read the syllabus.

That way you'll get an idea of what you're going to learn. If you want, you can also form a study timetable. I'm planning to study ahead because my teachers teach so slowly. Unfortunately, my teachers have this wild idea that if you already are ahead of your class then you won't pay attention. I'm not going to let my teachers let me hold me back this year. Looks like there's going to be a bit of a rebellion in my school this year from one of their Top students.

fallingstar

HSC
if you're starting yr 11 this year, you shouldn't really have been studying these holidays. relax!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Isn't it stupid how people say "don't study in the holiday, you will burn out"?

They have nothing to back up what they are saying and they are probably talking from their experience. Well...your experience isn't something that people want to hear about sometimes...especially if your experience is something that was not a positive one.

THIS IS THE REASON why you might like to start early even though it's not necessary Here is what I said back in this thread:

Now that's a bit ridiculous. How do you "save it for the HSC?". By forming your own habit earlier, you are more adapted to that studying habit. It's either you start it earlier, or never start at all.

Kudos to anyone who have already started studying. That will certainly serve them well really because they have a nice preparation routine going.

And there are subjects that you canont just have a "grip on the course content" as they can be potentially tested on HSC. For example up to 30% (or thereabout) of 2 unit maths and 3 unit can be tested. You cannot rest easy on them because of that. What about general maths? Up to 50% can be tested or thereabout.

Most people who have ended up well with good UAI are usually the ones who start early with consistent studying routine. (guess I won't get high UAI now, damn).

Kudos again to those who started. I hope you continue that journey. The point of HSC is to not just to survive, it's to play the system and enjoy it. Starting early with consistent studying will help you get that enjoyment. (because you don't want to load yourself with 100000+ pages 1 day before HSC of textbook reading after playing hard)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I don't feel that there's any point in studying for Preliminary Maths before the school term starts. Unless of course you really want to go an award or something that your school offers for having the highest assessment marks.

jiyeonPARKK

HSC
I'm not really studying but I'm reading books and just getting everything organised..

Other than that, I've started to go through some textbooks I bought.

Cardea

HSC
I haven't really studied either. My tutors started on some prelim content last year, so I'm not too worried about coming into year 11 with absolutely no clue at all. I've also been doing some reading, although admittedly, very light. But because it's almost a week until we start school again, I think I'll pick up the books a bit more frequently. Hopefully, anyway.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Yeah, I don't feel that there's any point in studying for Preliminary Maths before the school term starts. Unless of course you really want to go an award or something that your school offers for having the highest assessment marks.
You remind me of this kid I know. He studied hard out all holidays for Preliminary. Believe it or not, he actually finished the entire Preliminary course for each of his subjects without BURNING UP. He's planning to start studying for HSC when Year 11 begins.

Poor guy. He'll probably commit suicide if he doesn't get a State Ranking in any of his subjects.:lol:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You remind me of this kid I know. He studied hard out all holidays for Preliminary. Believe it or not, he actually finished the entire Preliminary course for each of his subjects without BURNING UP. He's planning to start studying for HSC when Year 11 begins.

Poor guy. He'll probably commit suicide if he doesn't get a State Ranking in any of his subjects.:lol:
what a joke.

You don't need to do that to get a state rank. I and my mate didn't do that and we ended up well.

Kamal15

HSC
what a joke.

You don't need to do that to get a state rank. I and my mate didn't do that and we ended up well.
Namu urrite
guys yr 11 is all about getting urself in order
like organised with a study routine
and trying methods of studying to see what works
oh yeh if ur accelerated
concentrate on that sub
it relieves alot of pressure

bored of sc

HSC
No need for pre year-11 study. I did none and went well in preliminary (too bad I'm going average in the HSC).

HSC
I haven't been studying, though I did have to read a novel for Eng Advanced this year. People doing Mathematics Adv and Ext were given booklets to complete the first prelim topic though. We got told this our last holiday for 2 years so relax while we can!

LEEESHA

HSC
It really depends on what your goals are. If you wish to do well in the HSC, then developing an effective study routine early would be a good idea, but don't stress about it. All you need to do really is pass the course (assuming your continuing to year 12) but get in good study habits.

Trust me, i bludged my way all through year 11 and didn't bother studying or finishing most of the exams, which i regret now because i have bad habits which are hard to get rid of.

Air Jordan

HSC
homework?

what kind of homework..?
It was like revision on all the maths topic we did. Kinda like a 'chapter review' for all the maths topics (e.g. trig, circle geometry, functions, curve sketchin, logs etc.). But there was some random stuff that we didnt learn during the year and was never tested like cotangent (or was that just my school not teaching us? There was nothing about cosine in the SC). I think it wass just to make sure that we had all the ground work so we could jump into ext.1 maths once school starts.

Last edited:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Namu urrite
guys yr 11 is all about getting urself in order
like organised with a study routine
and trying methods of studying to see what works
oh yeh if ur accelerated
concentrate on that sub
it relieves alot of pressure

LOL its kamal!
listen to him guys, he and namu know best!
A few people try to get way ahead and it just doesnt work. You'l forget your basics and regret it later. Savor your holidays. Instead, it'd be much more effective working out how you are going to balance your school work with extra-cirricular activities. Thats way more important than getting ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)