explanation of B scIT +B Bus please (1 Viewer)

farkmedead

HSC
i want to put this as my first preference but i had a question about the majors and work that we do.
so does every student select a major and depending on that major we do different work and are in different classes?
would someone mind explaining the course structure and how it differes if we choose different majors as in woould the class separate? or something.

thanks in advance

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
farkmedead said:
i want to put this as my first preference but i had a question about the majors and work that we do.
so does every student select a major and depending on that major we do different work and are in different classes?
would someone mind explaining the course structure and how it differes if we choose different majors as in woould the class separate? or something.

thanks in advance
For this course, you select an IT major and a Business major.

If you choose, a Business Information Systems Management (IT major), you would obviously do different subjects and go to different classes than someone doing an Enterprise Systems Development major (IT major), because they are completely different majors.

Sometimes some subjects overlap between 2 majors, such as some subjects you do in a Finance Major (Business major) could be the same as if you do a Financial Planning Major (Business major).

Most of the information about what major available and what subjects you do within the majors are listed in the BBus/BScIT Handbook Entry:
http://handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10219.html

farkmedead

HSC
oh ok i see thanks.
just wondering cause iw ant to be in the same class as my friend.
i know it shouldnt change what i wnat to do but i think it will still contribute slightly to what coursees i choose :p

thanks

farkmedead

HSC
what percentage of the BBUs +BScIT course is core? as opposed to the subjects we will do for our majors? is it an significant amount?
and also is there lab work for BScIT?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
farkmedead said:
what percentage of the BBUs +BScIT course is core? as opposed to the subjects we will do for our majors? is it an significant amount?
and also is there lab work for BScIT?
50%.

IT Core Subjects (8 Subjects) 25%
Business Core Subjects (8 Subjects) 25%
IT Major Subjects (8 Subjects) 25%
Business Major Subjects (8 Subjects) 25%

Most of the classes in BScIT, will involve some classtime in a computer lab. I can think of a couple of subjects (not much) that will have tutorials instead of computer lab classes, but that is because they are primarily theory based.

Last edited:

farkmedead

HSC
oh ok i see. thanks
it's nice to know that i will be able to see my friend half thee time AT LEAST even if we choose different majors.
this might be off topic, but it'd be nice if you could answer:
i really want to do business as my career(management or something) which major in IT would help me?

and also, how many majors do we pick? one for business and one for ScIT? do week them 2nd year?

thanks

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
farkmedead said:
oh ok i see. thanks
it's nice to know that i will be able to see my friend half thee time AT LEAST even if we choose different majors.
this might be off topic, but it'd be nice if you could answer:
i really want to do business as my career(management or something) which major in IT would help me?

and also, how many majors do we pick? one for business and one for ScIT? do week them 2nd year?

thanks
I would recommend the Business Information Systems Management Major.

From the Handbook (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj02080.html):
In the Business Information Systems Management major students learn how to use appropriate design approaches to design ICTs for all types of business activities, including customer-focused operations, maintaining relationships for knowledge sharing, business collaboration and strategic management. Students also learn about organisation theory, accounting and project management.
Ways to simplify the use of technology in complex business activities are not well understood. With this major, students are equipped to manage the integration of ICTs into business and society, and take leadership roles in their implementation.

You pick 1 IT major and 1 Business major. You generally choose them once you complete your core subjects (at the end of your second year).

farkmedead

HSC
Wow. Thank you, Huratio. Your help has been very helpful and is very appreciated.
Thanks again!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
farkmedead said:
Wow. Thank you, Huratio. Your help has been very helpful and is very appreciated.
Thanks again!
No worries, let me know if you have any other questions.

Question?

HSC
what are the 3 most hardest IT core subjects at UTS?

Jamsi

HSC
Question? said:
what are the 3 most hardest IT core subjects at UTS?
If your not a networking person and don't know what an ethernet packet or IP address is, the networking essentials can be tricky.

Other than that, study hard and you will be right :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Core subjects tend not to be *too* hard, especially if you have some sort of basic IT knowledge already. The previous course had some harder core subjects (Object Oriented Design, Networking 2, Data Structures & Procedural Programming).

You can do variations of these subjects as part of your major. These subjects tend to be more challenging as they go beyond the preliminary skills taught in the core subjects.

I'd say the core Database subject can also be challenging.

Jamsi

HSC
Database fundamentals? Bah - easy stuff. The practical exam is 3 questions and takes less than 10 minutes. (Mind you I did get one wrong, but eventually conviced the lecturer that the solution to question 3 that I provided did indeed work :p)

Question?

HSC
sounds like IT is a difficult subject!
thanks for all the input guys!

Jamsi

HSC
Question? said:
sounds like IT is a difficult subject!
thanks for all the input guys!
Bah, its not hard. It all depends on what you studied in the HSC. I had never done business statistics before (at school etc) so that subject nearly killed me.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Jamsi said:
Bah, its not hard. It all depends on what you studied in the HSC. I had never done business statistics before (at school etc) so that subject nearly killed me.
Hard is all relative. You shouldn't be relying on past experiences anyway, rather you should be learning to learn and from that, learning (if that makes any sense). I never did any IT subjects in high school (bar TAFE in year 11 but dropped it in year 12..though it was relatively pointless) and never did any business subjects except for economics which ended up being my lowest mark for the HSC. However, I've ended up with a very decent average in both sides of the degree (or should..marks aren't out yet :p). It's basically about applying yourself and putting a little bit of effort into it.

For example, I didn't do any business statistics in high school, but I ended up getting a HD for it just by doing the exercises given each week (and some weeks I didn't do the homework, and most weeks I did not do the additional stuff they allocated) :speechless:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
True, putting in effort does pay off, but yeh it all truthfulness most of us end up being lazy through the semester :p The subjects where I got better marks was where I put more effort in. I didn't do statistics in school either but I picked it up OK. Same with economics...but I just read to read the book, for once! IT is more hands on you learn more by doing rather than reading (especially for programming).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)