Extension English (1 Viewer)

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Anyone studying "tragic hero" ? I did that in yr 11 which complimented really well with my yr 12 Advanced texts and EE2 majorwork.

HSC
Wooz said:
normal subject lines and within normal school hours.
Your lucky, i go to a public school and most people are not intersested in ex. english. so we have it on period 0 - before school three times a week. These days are the longer days; 8 periods as opposed to 5 on tuesdays and 7 on thursdays; so i have 9 period days.

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
makedamnsure101 said:
Your lucky, i go to a public school and most people are not intersested in ex. english. so we have it on period 0 - before school three times a week. These days are the longer days; 8 periods as opposed to 5 on tuesdays and 7 on thursdays; so i have 9 period days.
Yeah, 9 periods is a lot but don't worry, you're not the only one

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
We did fairytales in Term 1 but have now moved on to tragedy. Just did Oedipus and will be doing The Crucible along with a related text of my choosing. I chose Northanger Abbey .

Our Eng ext classes are also off-line so I have to wake up at 6:30 to attend Eng ext. :(

I find Eng ext quite challenging and I'm struggling...my marks are in limbo cause I don't get below 76% and can't get above it. I might drop it next year.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
live.fast said:
how do u fit 9 periods into a day? or 8 even?
They just have shorter periods.
~shingami~ said:
I find Eng ext quite challenging and I'm struggling...my marks are in limbo cause I don't get below 76% and can't get above it. I might drop it next year.
That's odd, at least your marks are consistent :p

passion89

HSC
the-1-n-only-me said:
were doing "utopia - a perfect world"
we did utopia by thomas more and now we're doing gattaca
i think after that we're doing farenheit 451.. so yeah..

Yeah man, that's the shite ;)

Oh and makedamnsure101, I have 10 and 11 periods on thursdays and fridays. That means that for me, school finishes at 5:00 on thurs and 5:45 on Fridays. I felt so ripped off at the start of the year but now it's alright - we get heaps of stuff done in ext this way.

Last edited:
HSC
live.fast said:
how do u fit 9 periods into a day? or 8 even?
easy. at my school the periods are 40 minutes long; sometimes shorter, depending on the day. Our lunch is 40 minutes and our recess is 20 minutes. To do period 0 we have to be at school at 8:00, as assembly/roll call starts at 8:44. We also have period 9 after school, but only for extension maths and maybe extension history next year.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
actually utopian/dystopian fictions blew so hard.

hahaha the best was critical theories applied to fairy tales. its a really big help for advanced and extension english for the hsc

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
makedamnsure101 said:
Wow. We have 4 periods a day, 5 if you include the 45 minute period 0 for seniors. They are about 75 minutes and we have 20 min recess 1, 15 minute recess 2 and 35 minutes for lunch. We used to have 8 periods about 6 years ago but they decided to halve it.

We have about 18 people, but the teacher thinks half the class is crap and wants to cut it down to 8. Its held online.

Anyway, we are doing the worst. ever. topic. It is on Text, Culture and Value. It is just so broad, it can be applied to ANY text at all. Which is why I dont understand why our teacher chose such crappy texts.

I would kill to be doing something NORMAL like Farenheit 451, or The Crucible (ive done them in normal English).
Instead, all we have done are random boring texts which no one understands or enjoys. Maybe if we did something interesting, everyone wouldnt be failing.

Anyway, we've done some T.S. Eliot, Gerald Manly Hopkins and William Carlos Williams poetry and some incredibly boring, abstract short stories that no one understood.

Now we are studying Metropolis, a black and white silent film from 1927. Dont get me started on Metropolis...

Last edited:
HSC
we have 8 periods a day, about 40 minutes long, 20 minute recess, around 40 minute lunch and an 8 minute break between periods 4 and 5
morning class for maths ext start at 7.30 until 8.30 and eng ext is arvo class from 3 - 5.. its not that bad.. but when you get morning class maths and arvo class eng.. it starts to get to you.. but the teachers are generally sympathetic to us being buggered before and after school

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
~shingami~ said:
That's odd, at least your marks are consistent :p
Yeh, consistently disappointing...:)

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
we're doing modernism, so we've been studying T.S Elliot. our major work is to write an essay on what modernism means to us.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
subjectiv said:
we're doing modernism, so we've been studying T.S Elliot. our major work is to write an essay on what modernism means to us.
ZOMG <3 modernism

and T.S. Elliot. love song of j alfred prufrock :eek:

you have one awesome school. because you're actually touching upon the classics of canonical literature and one of the most renowned poets of 20th century as opposed to .. whatever other people do in prelim extension.

modernism is a bit scary though, what they believe, at least in the paradigms of postmodern society. their belief in that knowledge and intellectual creations can continue to improve is a major contrast to the pomo belief that 'there is nothing new under the sun'. taken probably ironically from the bible ecclesiastes

have fun. zomg <3 modernism

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
ZOMG <3 modernism

and T.S. Elliot. love song of j alfred prufrock :eek:

you have one awesome school. because you're actually touching upon the classics of canonical literature and one of the most renowned poets of 20th century as opposed to .. whatever other people do in prelim extension.

modernism is a bit scary though, what they believe, at least in the paradigms of postmodern society. their belief in that knowledge and intellectual creations can continue to improve is a major contrast to the pomo belief that 'there is nothing new under the sun'. taken probably ironically from the bible ecclesiastes

have fun. zomg <3 modernism
i quite like it too. we're doing post-modernism and the "hero's journey" next term.

haha, and i could almost relate to parts of the love song of j alfred prufrock (albeit the spiral of despair and the thinning hair).

kloudsurfer

HSC
subjectiv said:
i quite like it too. we're doing post-modernism and the "hero's journey" next term.

haha, and i could almost relate to parts of the love song of j alfred prufrock (albeit the spiral of despair and the thinning hair).
We did Prufrock also. That has been one of the few interesting parts of the course so far...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
subjectiv said:
why is your school so awesome? modernism AND post-modernism in a single unit of english :)

subjectiv said:
really? that poem's especially good because it quotes from the divine comedy by dante at the very beginning. that's very post-modern in my view because its a form of intertextuality.

but anyway you're not a guy so .. it'd be pretty hard for you to relate :p

oh and "Do I dare to eat a peach?" YES F*CKING EAT THAT PEACH :eek:

We did Prufrock also. That has been one of the few interesting parts of the course so far...
sorry you're not as awsome because you can't relate to the poem bahahaha

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
oh and "Do I dare to eat a peach?" YES F*CKING EAT THAT PEACH :eek:
I know, he needs to get laid.
and I got a sticker in class for pointing that out. two stickers actually. :D

I'm writing my modernism essay right now. I don't know how to structure it. They told us to simply "write an essay on your understanding of modernism". Any ideas on an additional text? i don't wanna read ulysses by myself. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)