F/BR - Do we really need to talk about "what makes us human?" (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
You can tie everything pretty much under the umbrella of what defines humanity. For example, Victor's unrestrained ambition etc. leads him to overstep the boundaries imposed by nature, greed consumes him -> is he human?

Demise

HSC
This. Unless your paragraphs are like 100/150 words each, which wouln't be enough to develop a strong argument imo, I just explore 3 themes at most, my paragraphs are 300 words each.
Yes, I explore 3 as well. 150 words x 2 = 1 theme.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, in all texts, you can link any theme to a few of the main ones. Sometimes, the use synonyms such as "identity" to replace "belonging" and it can throw a LOT of students off but really, they can be applied almost interchangeably (not quite, but close enough).

For example, identity can be tied to belonging to self.

Rawf

HSC
I have arguments for all 6, but when I get the question I use 3 - I usually integrate a 4th one into one of my arguments, in the end I'll have 3 arguments (2 paragraphs for each argument, one for BR, one for FR).

Some themes:
Role of the father
Playing God
What it means to be human
How far one will go to achieve their ambition
Impact of science and technology
Subjugation of women

All those themes let me discuss context, literary/filmic techniques and content of the story.
I think a lot of those themes can be linked into one idea... Like;
Man plays god through using science and technology (ambition is the driving force), but both characters abandon the creatures --> violates the role of the father.
Overall it's about disturbing the natural order.

clarg

HSC
Yeah, in all texts, you can link any theme to a few of the main ones. Sometimes, the use synonyms such as "identity" to replace "belonging" and it can throw a LOT of students off but really, they can be applied almost interchangeably (not quite, but close enough).

For example, identity can be tied to belonging to self.
My Belonging thesis is "Belonging is tied to commonalities in various areas" and I can quite literally mould that to almost any question.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My Belonging thesis is "Belonging is tied to commonalities in various areas" and I can quite literally mould that to almost any question.
Yeah, that's good but make sure your quotes/techniques/argument CAN be moulded, as well. There's no point having a very general thesis but very specific quotes.

clarg

HSC
Yeah, that's good but make sure your quotes/techniques/argument CAN be moulded, as well. There's no point having a very general thesis but very specific quotes.
Of course, within that umbrella thesis I have lots of specific points w/ specific quotes/techniques, i.e. similarity in values, similarities in upbringing ETC

onedaysnotice

HSC
Btw, how much quotes are you guys using? I've only got like 5 altogether xD Are quotes really necessary for this module? I've been under the impression that quotes are only necessary for Mod B (critical study of text), and for poems :S I'm seriously shitting bricks xD

Demise

HSC
Btw, how much quotes are you guys using? I've only got like 5 altogether xD Are quotes really necessary for this module? I've been under the impression that quotes are only necessary for Mod B (critical study of text), and for poems :S I'm seriously shitting bricks xD
13 quotes Frankenstein, 14?? Blade Runner. Yes, you need to analyse language in this question so you need to get some quotes. :p

clarg

HSC
I have 13 for Mod A, ~25 for Mod B, 13 for Mod C

Bear in mind though that within that there are two film analyses, ergo more techniques.

clarg

HSC
BTW I have a relevant quote to throw at the BOS from Frankenstein:

"A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind and never to allow passion or a transitory desire to disturb his tranquility. I do not think that the pursuit of knowledge is an exception to this rule. If the study to which you apply yourself has a tendency to weaken your affections and to destroy your taste for those simple pleasures in which no alloy can possibly mix, then that study is certainly unlawful, that is to say, not befitting the human mind."

Last edited:
HSC
I have use and abuse of science/ man as creator and role of the natural world/what makes us human

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I do Hubris/Ambition, Prejudice and Tampering with nature. They're all fairly broad and I can usually only manage 2 of them in a single essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)