facebook and study, what do you think??? (1 Viewer)

ilikebeeef

HSC
Firstly, your posts seem directed at 11ers, handing down information about the oh-so-scary HSC and the focus towards it. Sure, be focused. But have BALANCE. You are only sixteen/seventeen once. No one is going to have a good life if they lack social skills.
I'm just saying: you need balance. Facebook is a form of that balance.
Yes, I am addressing my posts to 11ers.

No Facebook =/= no social skills.

Spending hours on Facebook =/= not a balance.

Getting a good education - I don't mean attending James Ruse and studying five hours a day. I mean paying attention in class and doing assessments, asking questions and not being a complete and utter dickhead.
By your definition, I am getting a good education. But I do not use Facebook.

1. High school kids shouldn't be taking anything too seriously. And if they are, going on Facebook may be a GOOD thing for them. Relief from stress and such.
I am addressing my posts to Facebook addicts. Spending too much time on Facebook and NOT quitting the addiction --> stress before exams because the student hasn't had adequate preparation + inadequate preparation --> poor marks --> decreased motivation --> more time on Facebook. It's a vicious cycle.

2. Facebook addicts need to get off the internet and get a life.
Indeed.

When your marks are going down due to Facebook then of course it isn't a small issue.
You mean "aren't" right? If so; yes you are correct. However once again, note that I am conveying this info not to casual Facebook users.

Last edited:

sydchick

HSC
N/A
My second point encapsulates this entire charade.

Facebook addicts need to get off the net and get a life.

HSC
Uni Grad
Why, it aint affecting you? Let people cruise facebook as much as they want if they so choose to do so?

klaris

HSC
ITT: ilikebeef handing down info to other FB addicts. sydchick challenges and wins. phoenix fury questioning entire point of thread.

ahahahahahahahahah :eek:

ilikebeeef

HSC
ITT: ilikebeef handing down info to other FB addicts. sydchick challenges and wins. phoenix fury questioning entire point of thread.

ahahahahahahahahah :eek:
She thought I was addressing to Facebook users in general. I merely clarified that I was not.

The point of the thread is to share opinions.

EDIT: And experiences of course.

Last edited:

maths94

HSC
it did affect my study/doing hw so i just de-activated it and i installed a add-on in firefox where u can block websites of your choice and i did facebook :p

Dragonangel

HSC
it did affect my study/doing hw so i just de-activated it and i installed a add-on in firefox where u can block websites of your choice and i did facebook :p
Is that add-on really necessary? Don't you guys have the willpower to just get off?

tonyharrison

HSC
have a little self control :/
allocate a certain time to go on internetz and such and stick to it
don't do any of the "oh i'll just check to see if my crops have ripened on farmville"
(i never actually played it so i dunno what i'm talking about)

a lot of people communicate via facebook such as organising parties, old friends catching up, and just general goss so cutting yourself off completely might not be the right thing if you want the BEST YR12 EVERRRR

sydchick

HSC
N/A
a lot of people communicate via facebook such as organising parties, old friends catching up, and just general goss so cutting yourself off completely might not be the right thing if you want the BEST YR12 EVERRRR
this.

i have organised countless weekends/lunches/get-togethers/parties through Facebook. it is also great to communicate during the week, with friends that are out of town and such.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Depends on your study habits, if you are epicly failing then facebook all you want because you cant do any worse with distractions.

ilikebeeef

HSC
have a little self control :/
allocate a certain time to go on internetz and such and stick to it
don't do any of the "oh i'll just check to see if my crops have ripened on farmville"
(i never actually played it so i dunno what i'm talking about)

Lol Farmville sucks.

ilikebeeef

HSC
LOL, my sister was so obsess with this, but I don't really understand why. You just be a farmer and decorate your farm? :fish:
You also advance levels, but yeah pretty much, although I don't understand why people like the look of their farm even though the graphics are as crap as. I mean, if people are really going to play a Facebook farming game (not that I would), they should play Country Story!

mioumiou

HSC
You also advance levels, but yeah pretty much, although I don't understand why people like the look of their farm even though the graphics are as crap as. I mean, if people are really going to play a farming game (not that I would), they should play Country Story!
LOL :haha:

HSC
Uni Grad
I farm phat l00t for hours on end in diablo, titan quest and torchlight, does that count? :p

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Well when exam time comes I'll ban myself. BUT it does affect my study. It is detrimental :D I remember during the SC I had my study book infront of me and reading notes whilst checking my notifications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)