Fahrenheit 9/11 (2 Viewers)

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Anyone else seen this yet?

It's a good laugh, although moore isn't in this as much as he is in bowling

the facts he gives are pretty much correct but he also leaves a couple of important facts out

i recommend it to everyone once it is released here, its good food for thought

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I really, really vehemently dislike Moore for a million reasons. I'll see this regardless, but that doesn't mean I'll appreciate it.

It's out here on July 29, but it's been out in the US for a while

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
It was only released in the states last weekend, only shown in 800 theatres but still came in number 1 at the box office

Rorix

HSC
Originally posted by felix_js
the facts he gives are pretty much correct but he also leaves a couple of important facts out
Pretty much isn't good enough :(

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
yeah it's been released in america...and apparently some of the audiences were crying in hystercis...screaming at images of george bush and crying and clapping at the end...does this sound familiar to anyone...well it probably would if you had read 1984....you know the "two minutes of hate"? i think it's become a reality...i agree with you glycerine...i really don't like the man...he's not objective enough....so much of the information he puts forth is sensationalised...but people are willing to accept EVERYTHING that he says as truth, just cause it's left wing. it's ironic, most of his audience is trying so hard to search for the truth, and they think that they've found it, but i think they're really deluded.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by smegger_em
yeah it's been released in america...and apparently some of the audiences were crying in hystercis...screaming at images of george bush and crying and clapping at the end...does this sound familiar to anyone...well it probably would if you had read 1984....you know the "two minutes of hate"? i think it's become a reality...i agree with you glycerine...i really don't like the man...he's not objective enough....so much of the information he puts forth is sensationalised...but people are willing to accept EVERYTHING that he says as truth, just cause it's left wing. it's ironic, most of his audience is trying so hard to search for the truth, and they think that they've found it, but i think they're really deluded.

exactly. in fact, that's what i was reminded of. especially in shown pictures of iraqi children flying kites before the war and acting like it only became a violent place after the invasion. like yeah i didn't support the war either, but i'm not so deluded to think that it was a happy happy sunshine place before it happened either.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/27/1088274628050.html
this is a good article on f911
"Moore also makes fun of Bush for being "elite". One clip shows the President in white tie, addressing a group he describes as "the have, and the have mores", which gets some laughs.

Not many people know this, but if the Democrat John Kerry wins the US election in November he will be the second-richest president in the last 100 years (behind another Democrat, John F.Kennedy). Together with his wife, Teresa, who is one of the heirs to the Heinz fortune, Kerry has assets worth $US500 million ($700 million), and homes worth $US29 million. Kerry's supporters include the Rockefellers and the billionaire George Soros. None of this is mentioned in Moore's movie.

Of course, some of Bush's money is oil money, and Moore thinks oil money is evil. He makes a lot of jokes about Bush being a Texas oil man, but you could just as easily poke fun at Kerry, who has also taken money from the oil industry. Indeed, one joke doing the rounds in Washington right now is that Kerry will need to invade a small oil country just to meet his own family's fuel needs. They have eight cars, a powerboat, a Harley-Davidson and, of course, a private jet. Kerry's for sustainable energy policies, by the way. But again, that's not in the film. "

and this one from the australian:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9953501%5E28737,00.html

" We are introduced to Iraq, a "sovereign nation". In this peaceable kingdom, according to Moore's flabbergasting choice of film shots, children are flying little kites, shoppers are smiling in the sunshine and the gentle rhythms of life are undisturbed. Then - wham! From the night sky come the terror weapons of US imperialism. Watching the clips Moore uses, and recalling them well, I can recognise various Saddam palaces and military and police centres getting the treatment. But these sites are not identified as such. In fact, I don't think Al-Jazeera would, on a bad day, have transmitted anything so utterly propagandistic."
apparently that article is written by the guy who said mother therasa was evil tho :p

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rorix
Pretty much isn't good enough :(
it's still more factual than some of the stuff coming out of the whitehouse ;)

lengstar

HSC
i don't need to watch it, i already agree with him.

asha_ramirez

HSC
Originally posted by lengstar
i don't need to watch it, i already agree with him.
With everything I've seen by Michael Moore, everything I've read by him etc, there isn't one point that I have not agreed with.

I can't wait to see fahrenheit 9/11. But similarly, I already agree with him.

Rorix

HSC
Neither side of American politics really respects Moore as an accurate political commentator.

His works are basically opinion-editorials, loosely based on factual grounds. The problem comes when the viewer accepts them as proof.

*has a feeling he'll be explaining that Bush didn't actually approve the bin Laden family flying out of the US after September 11th quite a lot this year*

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I agree with most of his points - but yes.. I find that he generalises too much in some instances. I liked Bowling for Columbine alot- hopefully this will be even better.

asha_ramirez

HSC
I watched Bowling for Columbine again last week, I'm pumped to see Fahrenheit 9/11 yay! Doco's rock, especially political ones...
I wanted to see a doco about the Chinese anexing of Tibet that was on in sydney, it would have been cool, it's over now though I think.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i saw a rather long clip of it cuz my friend dl it from some payign site.... and its relali biased i must sya, like somene said how he left out mani important details to support his argument is rather acute in that particular clip i saw.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
Granted ...moore may not be the most impartial story teller...however im sure his film has some merit. I think moore has his heart in the right place...however i dont think you should accept his documentaries as established fact...rather more of a social commentary than makes people think about the accountability of our leaders.

however i tend to run away from anything that is seneationalised to that extent.
yeah his documentaries SHOULD be viewed as 'social commentary', but the thing is, i think by most of his viewers, they aren't. it's kind of scary i think...like how some of the people in this thread said "i already agree with him" that's really narrwo-minded...i can't beleive that they think just because it's left wing there's no bias and it's not sensationalised...

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
yeah i am more left wing than right regardign to this war. i watched the movie having a completely neutral stance, and i found although my opinion were leaning more against the left, but i also spoted a few deliberate ommissions which could have sided with the right.

the very fact that he is a social commentator demonstrates the passion behind his argument, and perhaps the need to omit info to support that passion, hence his commentary is initself a form of proproganda, and it is scary to think that some pplz are aready sucked in

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
exactly...his stuff is too subjective. if you realise that and keep that in mind while your watching it, then it will probably be productive..but if you go in willing to accept without question everything he says, you're just as bad as the bush devotees...in my opinion.

Rorix

HSC
OK I've watched the first half of the movie, and while there are only a few glaring factual errors, Moore often implies a false meaning with true facts, or makes groundless speculation of the truth, such as "What could George Bush be thinking now? Perhaps he was thinking...etc.".

For example, the movie starts with the 2000 election, and all the different media networks that called Florida for Gore (based on exit polls which aren't totally reliable but anyway), then saying Fox News was the first to call it for Bush, with the other media networks following. Moore creates the impression that Fox News won the election for Bush by calling Flordia for Bush, somehow affecting the result, which is obviously BS if you think about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)