Fatties have right to extra airline seat (1 Viewer)

Scissors

HSC
katie tully said:
i just mean that your views are real rigid. they're unbending.

also, as iron said, we need kids.

and katie, were you paid maternity leave when you had your kid? if so, could you have done without it?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Scissors said:
i just mean that your views are real rigid. they're unbending.

also, as iron said, we need kids.

and katie, were you paid maternity leave when you had your kid? if so, could you have done without it?
I was not, not, not paid maternity leave.

Also, I'm fairly good at changing my opinion. I didn't support homosexual marriage once. And lots of other things. if I see a point I think is valid, I'm willing to waiver my previous opinion.

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The real issue is the interference by the courts. If airlines want to subsidize fatties that's fine. But they should not be forced to.
this is a good point. if you think about it, theres no issue if airlines weren't forced to, but rather did this for their own reputation. (cost vs benefit would determine whether they do it or not..)

Rockyroad needs to learn the concept of discrimination, and also needs to learn that special needs in situations like this create MARKETS so that businesses can capitalise on them to make a profit.

because of your silly arguments, im going to assume you're unintelligent so i'll break it down for you - the courts are not supposed to intervene. what's supposed to happen is either a new airline or a current airline should make special seats for these special customers, and charge them a special price. just like car insurance (under 25s).

"Discrimination toward or against a person or group is the prejudicial treatment of them based on certain characteristics." (wikipedia)

everyone is treated equally. they all get the same sized seat. if you don't fit in that seat, then you require additional capacity, i.e. another seat. you have to pay extra for that seat.

its like a court deciding that all restaurants have to serve meals that fill up all customers. you, being a skinny person will get full on a $10 meal. but your obese friend will eat $50 worth. because of the court ruling, the restaurant is forced to satisfy both customers entirely and even out the charge across both of you, i.e. $30. is that fair?

you might argue in the airline case its still discrimination, but its not. No one is saying there is a limit of one seat per person (and hence fatties have to go by boat, and thus discrimination) we're just saying they should be charged for the extra seat.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Scissors said:
how did you do without it? what was your source of finance?
I did just fine because my partner worked/works full time. I also worked during pregnant and anticipated that I'd be without the double income for at least 6 months while I stayed at home.

chumbumm. =D

HSC
Pace_T said:
everyone is treated equally. they all get the same sized seat. if you don't fit in that seat, then you require additional capacity, i.e. another seat. you have to pay extra for that seat.
agreed. if you need another seat, then you should pay for another seat.
its not discrimination that airlines are no giving obese people a free seat, it wouldnt be fair to other people that they did.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Pace_T said:
this is a good point. if you think about it, theres no issue if airlines weren't forced to, but rather did this for their own reputation. (cost vs benefit would determine whether they do it or not..)

Rockyroad needs to learn the concept of discrimination, and also needs to learn that special needs in situations like this create MARKETS so that businesses can capitalise on them to make a profit.

because of your silly arguments, im going to assume you're unintelligent so i'll break it down for you - the courts are not supposed to intervene. what's supposed to happen is either a new airline or a current airline should make special seats for these special customers, and charge them a special price. just like car insurance (under 25s).

"Discrimination toward or against a person or group is the prejudicial treatment of them based on certain characteristics." (wikipedia)

its like a court deciding that all restaurants have to serve meals that fill up all customers. you, being a skinny person will get full on a $10 meal. but your obese friend will eat $50 worth. because of the court ruling, the restaurant is forced to satisfy both customers entirely and even out the charge across both of you, i.e. $30. is that fair?

you might argue in the airline case its still discrimination, but its not. No one is saying there is a limit of one seat per person (and hence fatties have to go by boat, and thus discrimination) we're just saying they should be charged for the extra seat.
Good argument. But I don't think we should base our argument on the current situation - but rather - what we think should happen.
Like, I think, they should have a seat big enough for a overweight person. But right now all seats are same size (within each class). Therefore you can't say - they have to buy two seats.

Also, I still think that charging someone with a disability extra money on a flight is discrimination. I think that Obesity is a disability and an addiction.
I think everyone should get a seat (suited to theur needs) for the same price.

No need to get nasty "Assume I am unintelligent" etc etc
I don't any part of my argument is silly.
I think this issue could be well-argued on either side. And I don't think that anyone who believes yes or no is stupid.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
I did just fine because my partner worked/works full time. I also worked during pregnant and anticipated that I'd be without the double income for at least 6 months while I stayed at home.
What about single mums?
If you don't have that double income it will be alot harder.
Do you think you could have done it without your partner?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Rockyroad said:
What about single mums?
If you don't have that double income it will be alot harder.
Do you think you could have done it without your partner?
What about single mums? Why would single mums be any different? They had to be sperminated some how.

Don't become pregnant if you can't afford to take the time off work.

HSC
Rockyroad said:
Also, I still think that charging someone with a disability extra money on a flight is discrimination. I think that Obesity is a disability and an addiction.
I think everyone should get a seat (suited to theur needs) for the same price.
I'm addicted to cigarettes. Should they accomodate for me?

banco55

HSC
Iron said:
Id imagine that theyd say that they were enforcing anti-discrim laws, or interpreting a shift in values re human rights. Not sure what their constitution looks like, but probably has a bill of rights
As a law student you are probably more welcoming of our judicial overlords then most. I think there's a danger with defining "rights" down. It invites a backlash and a general (often justified) cynicism about the "rights" movement. For example much of the opposition to a human rights charter/bill of rights revolves around the idea that judges would make stupid decisions like this one.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
That made me laugh. Good point. I guess an overweight person needs a seat - period. And a smoker could (thereotically) wait until they got off to have a cigarettte.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
That made me laugh. Good point. I guess an overweight person needs a seat - period. And a smoker could (thereotically) wait until they got off to have a cigarettte.
Small seats stops overweight guy from flying full stop. But the smoker has a choice.

Last edited:
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Perhaps an overweight person could hold off on eating six months before the flight and resume eating when they got off?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
katie tully said:
What about single mums? Why would single mums be any different? They had to be sperminated some how.

Don't become pregnant if you can't afford to take the time off work.
typical social conservative you are.

Pace_T

HSC
Rockyroad said:
Small seats stops overweight guy from flying full stop. But the smoker has a choice.
they DO have a seat. they can have TWO

they just have to pay for the extra seat.

remember, its discrimination if they dont cater for obese people. but its not discrimination due to the fact that they DO cater for them but they had originally charged them for the extra seat.

if you get this mixed up, you're a MORON

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Fat people should kill themselves for being such a disgusting burden on everyone.

Or just lose some weight idk.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I think we can safely blame Jason and the Argonauts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)