Female Genital Mutilation: Allow it? (1 Viewer)

Lipin

HSC
Ok FGM is a mainly Muslim practice that happens across Asia/Africa/Mideast where they mutilate a girls clitoris. In shitty countries they can use a piece of broken glass or some unsterilized scissors, pretty much always with no sort of anesthetic. Later on in the girl's life the wound can rip open if she has sex or has a baby and the vagina can pretty much be ruined.

The other month the The American Academy of Pediatrics said they would do a more clean and less brutal form of the operation for Muslim families that want the procedure done so they don't need to send their kids back to some shitty 3rd world country to get it done. Now they say they won't do that.

Pediatricians now reject all female genital cutting - CNN.com

What's the right thing to do?

Lipin

HSC
If the parents know they can't get it done safely in Australia then obv. they're just going to send them back to some 3rd world country get it done with some rusty scissors. What's worse?

HSC
obviously
cos all sudanese immigrants can afford to send kids back to africa to have their genitals mutilated

more like they will do it in their backyard
then we lock them up for 30yrs

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
barbaric and disgusting and it should legal to shoot anyone caught practising it, as a form of self-defence on the girl's behalf

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
Wouldn't the most efficient solution to this problem be just to not import the people who do this in the first place?

Last edited:

mes ami

HSC
whattheshit?

its an absolutely disgusting and barbaric thing to do to a child. they are not acting in the best interests of their children. lock them up. by allowing doctors to perform the surgery we are blurring the boundaries between what is acceptable and not acceptable regarding the treatment of children.

"But we need to make sure we do not legitimise the ritualistic maiming of children." -RANZCOG spokeswoman Gino Pecoraro

there is no goddamn way to put the message across that maiming is bad if you allow it to be performed by someone qualified just so that they can fulfill the cultural needs of the child's parents. how about being more proactive by stamping out the practice and making harsher penalties? They are just taking the easy solution to deal with botched illegal surgeries.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
How does this have any significant impact on a female in terms of being able to be married?
I understand virginity.
I understand being clean.
But wtf, cutting the clitoral hood off? For what exactly? It has no positive health outcomes and makes her look like a 50 year old raped her to to the brink of being torn open at 9 years old.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Male circumcision is understandable for health reasons, but last i checked, females tend to be a lot cleaner down stairs.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
It's the same logic as one argument to legalise drugs; that they'll just be sourced illegally. Yet I bet the people advocating the legal performance of this barbaric practice wouldn't advocate legalised hard drugs.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
How does this have any significant impact on a female in terms of being able to be married?
I understand virginity.
I understand being clean.
But wtf, cutting the clitoral hood off? For what exactly? It has no positive health outcomes and makes her look like a 50 year old raped her to to the brink of being torn open at 9 years old.
The aim is to prevent women from experiencing sexual pleasure.

Because it's evil, of course.

peikoff

HSC
N/A
Should never be allowed pure and simple. Cosmo Kramer hit the nail on the head, we should not be allowing the savages who whould perform such a repulsive ritual into our country, and sylvester is right that practitioners of such a practice should be shot. (although his attempt to reconcile his reasoning with an ill thought out libertarian philosophy is a bit rich)

ibbi00

HSC
Ok FGM is a mainly Muslim practice that happens across Asia/Africa/Mideast where they mutilate a girls clitoris. In shitty countries they can use a piece of broken glass or some unsterilized scissors, pretty much always with no sort of anesthetic. Later on in the girl's life the wound can rip open if she has sex or has a baby and the vagina can pretty much be ruined.

The other month the The American Academy of Pediatrics said they would do a more clean and less brutal form of the operation for Muslim families that want the procedure done so they don't need to send their kids back to some shitty 3rd world country to get it done. Now they say they won't do that.

Pediatricians now reject all female genital cutting - CNN.com

What's the right thing to do?
"... Al-Azhar Supreme Council of Islamic Research, the highest religious authority in Egypt, issued a statement saying FGM/C has no basis in core Islamic law or any of its partial provisions and that it is harmful and should not be practiced."
You're an idiot mate. Get your facts right.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
Uh, even if that is true, it still doesn't mean that it cannot be primarily a Muslim practice, in the sense that mostly Muslims practice it..

anonymous.92

HSC
You're an idiot mate. Get your facts right.
Exactly. +1.

Before making stupid assumptions that because some Muslims practice female genital mutilation, it must be grounded in Islamic law or something, you should honestly do research. Honestly, I challenge you ignorant BoSers to provide one Quranic quote that supports female genital mutilation, and then I will rest my case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)