Finals coming up >:( (1 Viewer)

plasticities

HSC
At least you don't have anything for SCIF. You have 3 exams, that's something to be thankful for!

Having a proper load of 4 subjects next sem is a bit of a test.
Technically we still have the prospective biography to do (which I'm peer reviewing right now) but I don't know how I would have handled 4 exams, so definitely thankful haha.

Jonneeh

HSC
Technically we still have the prospective biography to do (which I'm peer reviewing right now) but I don't know how I would have handled 4 exams, so definitely thankful haha.
You'd be amazed at what you can handle when your put into a situation.

5 Exams =.=

IamBread

HSC
At least you don't have anything for SCIF. You have 3 exams, that's something to be thankful for!

Having a proper load of 4 subjects next sem is a bit of a test.
SCIF is ridiculous, they give you so much shit to do.

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
SCIF is ridiculous, they give you so much shit to do.

prospective biography... dumbest sh!t i heard of in my whole life.
Due this friday and i havent started, and we had to do a draft which was so short notice so i threw up a bunch of bs and submitted it :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
At least you have no exam for it.

Plus the Prospective Biography - lol, I had fun with that. I said that because of SCIF, I learned valuable life experiences that got me to act in a James Bond movie, write a Eurovision Song Contest winning entry, and discover the field of Anti-Mathematics... and loads of stupid, silly crap.

plasticities

HSC
Just quietly, what did you guys think of the email Julian got where someone anonymously bagged out the entire course and how he ran it?

IamBread

HSC
Just quietly, what did you guys think of the email Julian got where someone anonymously bagged out the entire course and how he ran it?
First I've heard of this, please elaborate :p

prospective biography... dumbest sh!t i heard of in my whole life.
Due this friday and i havent started, and we had to do a draft which was so short notice so i threw up a bunch of bs and submitted it :)
I found out we had to do the draft on 7pm friday, so i just answered the stupid questions and submitted it. Isn't due next friday, not this one?

IamBread

HSC
At least you have no exam for it.

Plus the Prospective Biography - lol, I had fun with that. I said that because of SCIF, I learned valuable life experiences that got me to act in a James Bond movie, write a Eurovision Song Contest winning entry, and discover the field of Anti-Mathematics... and loads of stupid, silly crap.
You had an exam for scif?
I had no idea what to say when they asked, "now what is the most important thing you will take out of this course?" All I remember is eating cheese and doing a puzzle...

plasticities

HSC
He made a post on the tutorial forum about a student that wrote an email about what they thought of the course.
"You must be incredibly dense and ignorant to not realize that SCIF1121 is a completely useless subject and a waste of the student's time and money. Most higher year students who have taken the course would agree. Perhaps the real aim of the subject is to fool yourself that the subject is useful to you by the end of the semester. The whole forum discussion thing is entirely farcical. Allocating marks for participation? What a terrific motivation. You are merely encouraging your students to behave artificially and affectedly, to show fake 'enthusiasm' to the vapid discussions you bring up. Your management of the course is also laughable.

Prospective Biography

"The student wants to know how the topics covered in SCIF1121 have become integrated into your professional life."
Is this a joke? A psychological game? Let me repeat: SCIF1121 is a completely useless subject. It is no different from a typical English course or team-building camps."

IamBread

HSC
Yeah I found it.
Well I have no idea what the course is about, but I did have fun in the tuts/lectures. I just wish it didn't have so much work out of class.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
SCIF looks like a bludge non-exam first year course that gives high marks, a lot like ENGG1000

don't know why you are complaining

HSC
Uni Grad
SCIF looks like a bludge non-exam first year course that gives high marks, a lot like ENGG1000

Because apparently it's a waste of time and UOC. It won't really boost your WAM but you're guaranteed to pass if you attend 80% of tutorials.

IamBread

HSC

Because there are a lot of assessments. They just come out of no where. And because the lectures and tutorials aren't really related, you get a lot of separate homework for each of them.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You had an exam for scif?
I had no idea what to say when they asked, "now what is the most important thing you will take out of this course?" All I remember is eating cheese and doing a puzzle...
I didn't have an exam - I meant to say, "Be thankful you don't have an exam".

And the most important thing you take out of this course is: the friends and people you meet in it

Seriously. A lot of the people I talk to in my lectures/tutes in maths are people I know from my SCIF tutorial, or met on SCIF camp. Say what you want about the subject (I think it was good considering that it's a lesser load than a proper 4th subject - even if the subject content was ???), but the people you get to talk to and meet are the most important thing you should take out of it.

But don't write that in your essay, I'd think. Write about... how collaboration and teamwork or blah blah blah...

Yeah I found it.
Well I have no idea what the course is about, but I did have fun in the tuts/lectures. I just wish it didn't have so much work out of class.
I asked Julian myself what the subject was about and he said something along the lines of "Maths and Science students aren't the most extroverted bunch... so this is a way to get them out of their anti-social shells".

Do you know how they allocate marks in SCIF: random number generator

Seriously. I got 79 in the subject and killed my WAM.

Ask pretty much anyone who did the subject last year, they'll tell you it killed their WAM.

IamBread

HSC
Well scif is a lot more work then my other 3 subjects combined lol.
We didn't get a camp, something about last year people having to go to hospital due to alcohol. So we missed the camp :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well scif is a lot more work then my other 3 subjects combined lol.
They must've changed it or... you're doing it wrong :p

We didn't get a camp, something about last year people having to go to hospital due to alcohol. So we missed the camp :(
lolwat no

Someone went to hospital because someone thought it'd be a good idea to jump off the stage into a guy - whose knee got dislocated.

And then a few 17 year olds threw up chunks in the mess hall we weren't supposed to mess up. I recall Julian's words when I told him myself that someone was throwing up: "There may not even be a camp next year".

heh

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi,

Random number generator? really?

79 in SCIF.... that's not too bad (at least that's a distinction.)
No, not really - but the marks seemed pretty stupid. Like people who didn't do any work got HDs and then others got Ds...

And yes, that might be a distinction - but... SCIF dragged me down from HD territory. My WAM from my other three subjects was 84.667, so I needed SCIF to be at least 86 for me to get an HD average. But no... even though I did lots of the work and I thought I did pretty well.

Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)