First in course (1 Viewer)

lonelynight99

HSC
I was wondering if the first in course ranking depends only on the examination marks and include the assessment marks too?

deswa1

HSC
Its final HSC mark, so exam and assessment.

lonelynight99

HSC
Oh I see, so you need to be 1st in that particular course in your school and you also need to get top band marks for the subject right?

Siddy123

HSC
yeah its final mark so school+hsc

i got a question...
how about if a student from a comprehensive state school who tops his school in mx2( not a strong class) say his examination mark is 98, and a student from syd tech or syd boys who tops with a 98 as well.
( however a 98 at a western sydney state school differs from a selective school)
say both these kids go and get same external mark.... they both get state ranks...
isnt that unfair though, coz to get first in school at public is easier than at a selective

FreeLearner

HSC

i got a question...
how about if a student from a comprehensive state school who tops his school in mx2( not a strong class) say his examination mark is 98, and a student from syd tech or syd boys who tops with a 98 as well.
( however a 98 at a western sydney state school differs from a selective school)
say both these kids go and get same external mark.... they both get state ranks...
isnt that unfair though, coz to get first in school at public is easier than at a selective
It's actually the same, its not easier or harder to get a '98' , don't worry about the ranks, since they only determine where the student's internal mark will be placed like in the low 90s or high 90s etc. Realistically its the same, the only difference is that in a low performing school he may be an outlier at 98, with most other people receiving in the 70s, while in a selective school he may be first at 98, but 2nd is 97, then 3rd 96 and so on... Ultimately, being in a selective school would be better for the student as in case he was to stuff up in the external, his cohort will help keep him at a higher mark.
Hope that makes sense :)

Siddy123

HSC
It's actually the same, its not easier or harder to get a '98' , don't worry about the ranks, since they only determine where the student's internal mark will be placed like in the low 90s or high 90s etc. Realistically its the same, the only difference is that in a low performing school he may be an outlier at 98, with most other people receiving in the 70s, while in a selective school he may be first at 98, but 2nd is 97, then 3rd 96 and so on... Ultimately, being in a selective school would be better for the student as in case he was to stuff up in the external, his cohort will help keep him at a higher mark.
Hope that makes sense :)
yeah thanks :)
but... how about if the public school has much easier exams?

D94

HSC
N/A

i got a question...
How is that unfair? The student at the comprehensive school is able to achieve very high results in the HSC, so that implies they are very capable at maths. Sure it might be "easier" to rank 1, but that doesn't discredit their ability to achieve a high mark in the HSC. To achieve say 99 in the HSC is irrespective of which school a student goes to. The HSC exam is their own performance, and if their own performance is of such a high standard, who's to say they couldn't have done as well in a selective school? Of course this is a hypothetical, but you shouldn't take away from their own individual performance.

Siddy123

HSC
How is that unfair? The student at the comprehensive school is able to achieve very high results in the HSC, so that implies they are very capable at maths. Sure it might be "easier" to rank 1, but that doesn't discredit their ability to achieve a high mark in the HSC. To achieve say 99 in the HSC is irrespective of which school a student goes to. The HSC exam is their own performance, and if their own performance is of such a high standard, who's to say they couldn't have done as well in a selective school? Of course this is a hypothetical, but you shouldn't take away from their own individual performance.
good points raised there.
and i was only asking because my friend at a public school is getting teased by selective school students saying " its easy to come first at ******* school, and what not" so i wanted to know if that's the case. but yeah ur right about the external exam...

D94

HSC
N/A
So what? 99 in the HSC exam reflects their abilities, not the easiness of their school assessments. Think about it. 99 in the HSC exam. Making their school's assessment a bit harder probably wouldn't have changed anything. They still got 99.

FreeLearner

HSC
If the public school has much easier exams, there not doing anything good for anyone, instead the cohort will end up with way lower marks than they were getting in school, for e.g. getting 90 in an easy public school trial, then at hsc only getting 80, will mean that student will have an overall around 80. That's why you should work on doing the hardest papers you can get your hands on, so you avoid finding the HSC harder than what you were studying for.

Siddy123

HSC
So what? 99 in the HSC exam reflects their abilities, not the easiness of their school assessments. Think about it. 99 in the HSC exam. Making their school's assessment a bit harder probably wouldn't have changed anything. They still got 99.
haha yeah thanks for that, cleared everything up:)
i can always rely on you for MX2 exam help lol:p
i <3 u bby

lonelynight99

HSC
Can i ask a question? So lets say your ranking is not that good at school (3/8), but you ace the examination like (100/100), is it possible for you to get the first in course?

The Matrix

HSC
2008 first in course, Sen Lin first in MX2 from JRAHS, what a BO$$.

FreeLearner

HSC
Can i ask a question? So lets say your ranking is not that good at school (3/8), but you ace the examination like (100/100), is it possible for you to get the first in course?
Depends on the performance of the people ranked next to you and how well they actually do in the exam.

iBibah

HSC
Highly unlikely. Because how could someone be first in the state when they weren't even first at school? That person was most likely capable but didn't show it at school. That said, you don't have to be first at top schools for other state ranks.

deswa1

HSC
So if I get 100 in the HSC I'll not come first ?!?!?! :(
No unless you go to Ruse and come second pretty much. Which subject are you talking about though (for some this will be more possible)?

The Matrix

HSC
No unless you go to Ruse and come second pretty much. Which subject are you talking about though (for some this will be more possible)?
MX2 CHEM OR PHYS. and no I don't go to ruse, I've been here, in Australia for 3 years, if I came here when I was young, I'd be in ruse or at least a top ten school, bad luck I guess :(
Who cares about top ranks, I still can get 99+ and I'm happy with that :)

deswa1

HSC
I'll be perfectly blunt, if you are a candidate for 1st in the state in those subjects and you aren't at a top selective school, you should be absolutely crushing everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)