First in course (1 Viewer)

The Matrix

HSC
I'll be perfectly blunt, if you are a candidate for 1st in the state in those subjects and you aren't at a top selective school, you should be absolutely crushing everyone else.
Yeah, students at my school are terrible, except for one guy, he is actually decent, he is beating me for chemistry, I'm second at the moment, but I will get 100% in the trials for all subjects and crush everyone :) If they wanna beat me they can't, they have to get 100% and then we will be equal first... hehe

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be perfectly blunt, if you are a candidate for 1st in the state in those subjects and you aren't at a top selective school, you should be absolutely crushing everyone else.
You should be crushing everyone even at selective school if you're gunning for first in course.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, students at my school are terrible, except for one guy, he is actually decent, he is beating me for chemistry, I'm second at the moment, but I will get 100% in the trials for all subjects and crush everyone :) If they wanna beat me they can't, they have to get 100% and then we will be equal first... hehe
I like this kid.

barbernator

HSC
i am coming last, (5/5) in MX2, can I still get a state rank? how about in physics, i am coming 12/30?

barbernator

HSC
Probably not for MX2, but you're definately in the running for physics.
fuck thank god. I wanna get 99.95 atar and at least 3 state ranks, but my internal ranks are holding me back.

definitely going to smash the trials

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
i am coming last, (5/5) in MX2, can I still get a state rank? how about in physics, i am coming 12/30?
You're in with a shot bro- just work a bit on that maths rank. BTW, I thought you were ranked worse in physics? Last I heard, you were coming like 21st or something- congrats on strong improvement :p

barbernator

HSC
You're in with a shot bro- just work a bit on that maths rank. BTW, I thought you were ranked worse in physics? Last I heard, you were coming like 21st or something- congrats on strong improvement :p
cheers man, yeh i have been putting in a lot of hard work lately and you can see the results :D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
how could someone be first in the state when they weren't even first at school?
This can easily happen in school where the teachers don't set assessments and exams in any way similar to the HSC.

Example: my school has very strange assessmnets and marking schemes.
Assessment 1, although I didn't quite get to the top (~6th)
The half yearly exam gave us 20 questions and asked us 10 in the exam.

The third assessment, asked questions like "Deconstruct the question" for 3 marks and "Define the verb" for 2 marks requiring to identify the verb again and give the definition.
They took a past HSC question, instead of giving it 3 marks (original value) and keeping the marking scheme, they made it worth 6 marks and told us to produce our own marking scheme for 3 marks or so then asked us to answer the question for the 6 marks.
When I actually got my results back, they expected much more than the HSC would've - they expected all these strange things on top of the HSC marking scheme and my response had clearly satisfied all criteria of the HSC question.
Yeah, all that shit was worth around half the assessment which was weighing at 30%...

What a joke, now I'm not even in the top 10...great.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
This can easily happen in school where the teachers don't set assessments and exams in any way similar to the HSC.

The third assessment, asked questions like "Deconstruct the question" for 3 marks and "Define the verb" for 2 marks requiring to identify the verb again and give the definition.
They took a past HSC question, instead of giving it 3 marks (original value) and keeping the marking scheme, they made it worth 6 marks and told us to produce our own marking scheme for 3 marks or so then asked us to answer the question for the 6 marks.
When I actually got my results back, they expected much more than the HSC would've - they expected all these strange things on top of the HSC marking scheme and my response had clearly satisfied all criteria of the HSC question.
Yeah, all that shit was worth around half the assessment which was weighing at 30%...

WTF? Which school is this- that sounds retarded...

D94

HSC
N/A

Is this physics?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is this physics?
Chemistry...physics did the same thing for the half yearly (22% weight) though and physics did some planning questions, deconstruct the question worth like almost half or a third of the third assessment (25% weight).

D94

HSC
N/A
Chemistry...physics did the same thing for the half yearly (22% weight) though and the the planning, deconstruct the question shit was also in the third assessment (25% weight).
Yeah, kinda suspected it was one of the two.

They are probably doing this due to poor results in the past 5 years, so what they believe the problem is, is that we don't answer the question properly. However, when I was there, I reckon the main problem was that they didn't teach us the content effectively. Because of this, added with confusing and sometimes overly convoluted questions mixed with simple yet badly worded questions, students were really forced to answer in what they thought the question was asking.

It's funny how they keep wondering why the science faculty doesn't achieve many Band 6's, yet History, Social Sciences, English and Maths achieve so much more. And this is simply because the other faculties teach the content, the questions are what we'd expect in the HSC, and they mark effectively. (though, this might be different this year)

Oh well, seems like you're year is sort of a trial and error year where they attempt to fix the students up haha

Siddy123

HSC

da fuq school? and is this maths LOL?

edit: saw it, its physics... still pretty fcked :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)