First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Re: MATH1131 help thread

Do 1911 then, don't do 1917 if you don't like computing lol.
Lol I'll analyse it economically.

I don't like lots of things. But give me a push that I enjoy and I'll probably give it a try.

Here: Well yeah, I'll probably go for 1911 at the end of the day because ENGG1811 sounds wasteful for me.
Basically, the opportunity cost of doing COMP1917 is my WAM.

I find courses far more interesting when I have someone to do it with though. For my courses this sem I basically had to wait till week 5 before I had some proper friends (except maybe Kaido for MATH1151 calculus).

If I have someone I know doing COMP1917 I'll feel more motivated to do it. The opportunity cost then becomes be a loner (in my own eyes) as well as the WAM. And the decision making process gets tougher.

(Still, 80% of my brain is tending towards COMP1911.)

The question says:

Is the answer of:

<x,y,z> = <2,-2,5> + <1,1,-3>t (my answer)

the same as:

<x,y,z> = <1,1,-3> + <-2,2,-5>t (textbook answer)

For some real number t of course.

turntaker

HSC

thanks leehuan I already understood my mistake

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

You're missing out on a wonderful way to see things leehuan is 1917

The courses is probably one of the most useful first year courses in UNSW.

leehuan

HSC

You're missing out on a wonderful way to see things leehuan is 1917

The courses is probably one of the most useful first year courses in UNSW.
It really is not luring if the course poses more risk to my marks than benefit to my skills set. If I end up doing 1917 some other things would've had to lure me into it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

It really is not luring if the course poses more risk to my marks than benefit to my skills set. If I end up doing 1917 some other things would've had to lure me into it.
Even in that case it's still better to do 1917 if you're concerned about marks. It's always better to do higher versions of any course at Uni if you're gunning for a solid mark.

leehuan

HSC

Even in that case it's still better to do 1917 if you're concerned about marks. It's always better to do higher versions of any course at Uni if you're gunning for a solid mark.
Without knowing how much of an effect scaling has I really don't feel like using that as my backup for underperforming in the more demanding course.

I can't say for sure if I'll end up putting too much effort into 1917 and neglecting my three other courses during the semester either, because I "failed to see a need to balance my study pattern" or etc.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Without knowing how much of an effect scaling has I really don't feel like using that as my backup for underperforming in the more demanding course.

I can't say for sure if I'll end up putting too much effort into 1917 and neglecting my three other courses during the semester either, because I "failed to see a need to balance my study pattern" or etc.
Have you had 1151 exam yet? How was it?

leehuan

HSC

Have you had 1151 exam yet? How was it?
Upcoming Friday. (Mentally not looking forward to it, physically just semi-putting it off for the time being to study for accounting)

Flop21

HSC

You can easily do well in comp1917 if you put the time and effort into it (and see the joy of it).

But it is a very time consuming course. You will need to make sure you're not neglecting any subjects while doing it. And of course comp1917 itself. If you don't keep up, then yeah your mark will suffer.

leehuan

HSC

You can easily do well in comp1917 if you put the time and effort into it (and see the joy of it).

But it is a very time consuming course. You will need to make sure you're not neglecting any subjects while doing it. And of course comp1917 itself. If you don't keep up, then yeah your mark will suffer.
I suppose you could say that about any course; effort pays off

I still need to look further into it. Thank goodness there's still at least one semester before I make a decision - 0% chance i'm gonna do any computing units next semester

turntaker

HSC

How do I convert these to vector parametric form?

turntaker

HSC

is there an easy way to calculate the x,y,z plane intercepts of a 3D line

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

is there an easy way to calculate the x,y,z intercepts of a 3D line
To find the intercept with one of the axes, set the other two variables to 0 and try and solve for the variable whose axis' intercept we're finding. (If you get no solution, it means the line doesn't intersect that axis. A line in 3D need not have any axial intercepts (in fact usually won't), unlike in 2D. You could also get infinitely many solutions, which would mean the line is actually one of the axes).

E.g. Consider the line (x,y,z) = (1,2,3) + t(4,5,6). To try finding the x-intercept if there is one, we want

(x,0,0) = (1,2,3) + t(4,5,6). So we have three equations in two unknowns (so you can see why usually we'll have no solutions):

x = 1 + 4t
0 = 2 + 5t
0 = 3 + 6t.

In this case, this system is inconsistent (see last two equations), so the line has no x-intercept. If the system was consistent though, we'd be able to solve for x and thus find our answer of (x,0,0) for the x-intercept.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC

I tried applying your given method for the line, but the textbook has a value for he intercepts. I don't think I understood the question correctly.

The answer was given as:

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I tried applying your given method for the line, but the textbook has a value for he intercepts. I don't think I understood the question correctly.

The answer was given as:

This question is asking for when it intersects the coordinate planes, rather than coordinate axes, which is what you originally asked for.

But it's a similar idea. To find the place where it cuts the xy-plane for instance, we'd set z = 0 (because the xy-plane is the place where z = 0), and then try and solve for x and y.

Any line in 3-space will cut at least one of the coordinate planes.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The answer was given as:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)