Fitzpatrick math book made me very sad. (1 Viewer)

bubblesss

HSC
shoom: if u think fitzpatrick is hard then what will you say about cambridge??????? i'd say if u want a good mark in maths start building up ur maths by working out the problems from fitzpatrick. if you ever have any questions you can always post them up in the maths forum.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
so if I get 50% raw mark in mathematics will that get alligned up or down?

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Well it looks likes it better for me to get an avg marks or slightly below avg ( state wise) mark in mathematics then to be slightly above avg in general maths

Correct?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
so if I get 50% raw mark in mathematics will that get alligned up or down?
We don't exactly know about all that. But I can confidently say that the average mark for maths (raw) have been around 65 in the last 10 years but it varies slightly over the years of course. I would prob expect that if you get the average mark, you would get the average aligned mark which is 76.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
OK.

So raw mark of 65 ( avg) get alligned to ( 76)
If I were to get a raw mark of 55 would it get aligned to 60 or something like that?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Shoom said:
OK.

So raw mark of 65 ( avg) get alligned to ( 76)
If I were to get a raw mark of 55 would it get aligned to 60 or something like that?
u shud aim higher, i believe u can do way better

trailblazer

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
maybe u shud think about getting a tutor for maths, just to help you with the concepts because once u understand them, u can do most of the questions in the HSC
edit: no i wudn't get annoyed but i mite not b on BoS as much next term, well thats wat i hope, just post them in maths forum, someone will help
Yeah, you will probably need a tutor.

Last edited:

Shoom

HSC
N/A
ok so what are the main topics in year 12.

What basics are required for those topics.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
btw here are my prelim results really bad

19.5/34
32/60
19/25 ( I actually studied for that using math in focus only lol)
50%

is it to late to improve?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Shoom said:

19.5/34
32/60
50%

It's not too late since you haven't started year 12 yet. I suggest you get a tutor or ask for extra help at school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:

19.5/34
32/60
50%

Ok. Here is my story:

I was never good at maths til last year term 4 when I actually started harder due to my poor accelerated prelim maths results.

I was getting 50% if not 60%. My results were actually like yours. But do you know what I did? I utilised the holidays to my advantage to the fullest. I worked really hard in those days. I studied 2 hours just on maths every day during the holiday. During the great christmas holiday, I consistently worked and I managed to get all my prelims up to date. I constantly revised and finished all the questions from 2 unit fitzpatrick at the end. By the end of the holiday (christmas holiday), I finished the whole yr 12 hsc topic for maths and half of hsc mathematics extension 1 topics. Not only that, I completed all the yr 11 topics that I haven't covered very well during my prelim year (for maths).

In the first assessment I did in term 1 this year, I got 100% in maths and 97% in mx1. Even though I lost some of that momentum, I kept those marks up till now where I got 119/120 in 2008 CSSA Maths paper (which is at a similar level with HSC) which was the top in my year by 7 marks. In my extension 1 trial, I didn't do very well but I still scraped about 80% which was 4th highest mark including yr 12s who previously accelerated and repeated.

But you may be taking this as an extreme case. But not at all, I am a very normal bloke with normal brain. I am poor at explaining and poor at getting some facts in. I also find it very difficult to express myself at times. But my consistent studying during that holiday really gave me some awesome start to the year. And I kept that momentum throughout the year. It was hard but I managed it.

I strongly believe that HSC is not about how much intelligence you naturally hold or how good you are at grapsing new knowledge. I reckon it's more about managing time effectively, keeping that momentum going, studying effectively, coping with stress and utilising your environment to the fullest.

I strongly believe that anyone can do achieve to my extent if not better. If you are a naturally talented kid, that's better as it will prob take you less time to achieve the same result. 1 month of studying consistenly for 2 hours DOES MAKE A bloody difference. So why not give it a go?

By the way, make sure you keep yourself entertained during that time. You don't want to burn yourself. Take things slowly and put other more important things into perspective - family, friends and etc. And relaxation is the key to success. I never studied maths more than 2 hours a day during that time because that's my full capacity - 2 hours. (even though I increased that capacity by 6 hours in the last few days). Slowly increase your limit and don't over do yourself - cannot stress enough. BUT if you find it difficult to continue with maths, drop to general. I would have done the same thing if I just couldn't do maths. Hope that helped. :) :) :)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Thanks.

I will be overseas from Dec6 to Jan 22 I got some notes for physics, chemistry and biology that I will keep reading.

So during those holidays should I take the Fitz book or the Math in Focus book. Becaase I found the Fitz book hard, I thought the Main Focus explained the concepts a little better.

Also do you think I should use my study periods to consolidate on my prelim math topics and eventually use them for year 12 math?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Shoom said:
Thanks.

I will be overseas from Dec6 to Jan 22 I got some notes for physics, chemistry and biology that I will keep reading.

So during those holidays should I take the Fitz book or the Math in Focus book. Becaase I found the Fitz book hard, I thought the Main Focus explained the concepts a little better.

Also do you think I should use my study periods to consolidate on my prelim math topics and eventually use them for year 12 math?
its up to you what u want to use ur study periods for, just make sure u do everything.
and i agree with namu, i was sorta in his case but to a lesser extreme, in the past years i haven't been doing too great in maths but this year, i've worked a bit harder and its definitely helped, i came 3rd in my trials which was really really good for me especially after not being in the top math class the years before.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
what is this topic

5. The ability to solve exponential equations using logarithms

what chapter do we learn it in?

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Do you need to know that topic for sequences and series?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)