Flag Burners (1 Viewer)

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
i suggest we get them to make a new flag. MAKE, not buy. And we'll keep them at it till they make a really decent one. Then we'll force them to hang it on their house for all eternity. The ultimate punishment for retarded little mofos, wouldn't even be able to put the thread throught the needle. Muhaha.

-P_D
LOL.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Here's an interesting hypothesis

What if someone burns the constitution, should they suffer the same fate as this chap... because it's the same essential thing, yet I don't see anyone up in arms about it.
do you see the consitution lying around everywhere, in schools hanging?

man the consitution is it even in the library?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
agentprovocater said:
im studying law and visited parliament house, so i have like 4 copies of the constitution PLUS an annotated version for an assignment..

anyone up for a bit of constitution burning? a bit of wholesome un-Asutralian fun?

LOL
so u need to visit the parliament house to obtain a consitution? or u need to study law + visit law + do an assignment?

I can just walk down to uni and there is a australian flag rite in front of me.

HSC
HotShot said:
so u need to visit the parliament house to obtain a consitution? or u need to study law + visit law + do an assignment?

I can just walk down to uni and there is a australian flag rite in front of me.
No you fool he is saying that the Constitution is readily available.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
No you fool he is saying that the Constitution is readily available.
is it as readily avaibale as the flag? the flag is basically there everywhere you go. ITs much easier to obtain a flag than the consitution -lol.

gerhard

HSC
what did you write about? what was the question

just wondering if you had to write like 'australia is the best' or whatever

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
THANKS FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT, BUDDY!

The thing i'm saying is, Hotshot, is that the constitution stands for the EXACT SAME values as the flag, but is far less of an icon.

What do people think about burning the constitution is it an issue?
a but if low-life kid burns a flag - its not too much of an issue. as say some of the more important things going on in australia.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Carrying on from my other from of punishment, whosoever burns the constitution must stay in prison until they have memorised it, and will be examined by having them recite and rewrite the constitution until they have attained 100% complicity.

-P_D

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
Schroedinger said:
What do people think about burning the constitution is it an issue?
I think it's just as minor an issue as burning the flag. I see your point though, the constitution is a symbolic representation of the ideals, values and customs of the Australian way of life, just as burning a flag would be seen as an attack upon said ideas.

I believe that, throughout history, great change has resulted through protest. The French Revolution, Black Marches on Washington, The Eureka Stockade (to give an Australian example). Everyone of the protests we learn about that have occured throughout history are, in a way, attacking the values and ideals of a nation. King's "I Have A Dream" speech does it in a very eloquent fashion, I admit, but it was a protest none the less.

Personally, I would rather live in a society where the burning of flags and constitutions is the way to protest against a Government or authoratitive body. If it's not the flag being burnt, chances are it's the people. And that's slightly worse, if a little less symbolic.

I admit this particular issue is a delicate one, but surely blown out of proportion. For me, it became an offensive issue when he was offered the chance to carry the Australian Flag in an Anzac parade - an honour surely reserved for a deserving, high achieving Australian; not one who gained notoriety after a media circus and some matches.

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
rewrite the constitution until they have attained 100% complicity.
The sad thing is, I think our PM would agree with you. Ironically enough he hasn't read Nineteen Eighty-Four.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Red-Wine-&-Joni said:
I think it's just as minor an issue as burning the flag. I see your point though, the constitution is a symbolic representation of the ideals, values and customs of the Australian way of life, just as burning a flag would be seen as an attack upon said ideas.

I believe that, throughout history, great change has resulted through protest. The French Revolution, Black Marches on Washington, The Eureka Stockade (to give an Australian example). Everyone of the protests we learn about that have occured throughout history are, in a way, attacking the values and ideals of a nation. King's "I Have A Dream" speech does it in a very eloquent fashion, I admit, but it was a protest none the less.

Personally, I would rather live in a society where the burning of flags and constitutions is the way to protest against a Government or authoratitive body. If it's not the flag being burnt, chances are it's the people. And that's slightly worse, if a little less symbolic.

I admit this particular issue is a delicate one, but surely blown out of proportion. For me, it became an offensive issue when he was offered the chance to carry the Australian Flag in an Anzac parade - an honour surely reserved for a deserving, high achieving Australian; not one who gained notoriety after a media circus and some matches.
gud post - the incident here though wasnt really a 'protest' more like low-life kid given a lighter and told go burn somthing - doesnt deserve any significane. where as a true protest should get all recognition it needs.

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
HotShot said:
gud post - the incident here though wasnt really a 'protest'
I disagree. Perhaps I believe too much in humanity, but I don't think such violence is caused simply because they are "low lives". I heard a similar argument about Terrorism recently - that it occurs because it is "only form of entertainment in the Middle East". I disagree wholeheartedly - I believe that violence was caused because these people believed in something. And what they believed in was contrary to an 'Australian Value' and thus, it was a protest. Of sorts. ;)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
P_Dilemma said:
Carrying on from my other from of punishment, whosoever burns the constitution must stay in prison until they have memorised it, and will be examined by having them recite and rewrite the constitution until they have attained 100% complicity.

-P_D
get back to studying.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What if we just burn the union jack off the corner? Some people find Jack's presence to be offencive in itself (God save the Queen and all that though)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think it was a very brave, sincere and beautiful thing that the RSL asked this guy to carry the flag, it's a shame so many people complained about it, because i think him carrying it would have developed real justice, where the offender knows truly what he did was wrong, and the victims have forgiven and embraced him.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
P_Dilemma said:

-P_D
a little harsh perhaps...a memorised constitution doesnt mean automatic accpetance of aussie values. it shits me when the average aussie talks about stupid fools burning flags when they themselves wouldnt even be able to recite one sentence of the australian constitution, ill admit i cant and i bet the vast majority of the 21 million in aust. cant either

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
onebytwo said:
a little harsh perhaps...a memorised constitution doesnt mean automatic accpetance of aussie values. it shits me when the average aussie talks about stupid fools burning flags when they themselves wouldnt even be able to recite one sentence of the australian constitution, ill admit i cant and i bet the vast majority of the 21 million in aust. cant either
That is the beauty of the flag. It's an in your face symbol that can be conveyed to all, regardless of how learned its audience.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
_dhj_ said:
That is the beauty of the flag. It's an in your face symbol that can be conveyed to all, regardless of how learned its audience.
precisely, its like all the stupid people (you and me.....or you and I...bahhh...i dont know..im dumb) in this country who cant understand the true meaning of a democracy take comfort behind a flag which has so much ambiguity (british imperialism...and all the rest as expressed in this forum). in truth, if it were a choice between the "constitution" and the "flag", i think the rational thinkers would save the constitution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)