• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Flying Flag banned (3 Viewers)

rantman

HSC
N/A
why arent ethnic ppl and refugees allowed to fly their homeland flags?
i think they r still aussie if they still love their old country
is this just politically correctness or trying to protect australia from becoming owned by other nationalities?

Comrade nathan

HSC
rantman said:
is this just politically correctness or trying to protect australia from becoming owned by other nationalities?
I think they are allowed to/

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you are allowed to fly any flag.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
rantman said:
You are allowed to fly any flag. In my street alone, we have the Welsh, Italian, Canadian and South African flags flying alongside the Australian flag on their masts.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Where did you get the idea that people can't fly any flag they want?

rantman

HSC
N/A
i read in the newspaper somewhere that some taiwan ppl wanted to fly the taiwanese flag in a public shopping space but the chinese government complained about it to the australian government and it was banned by the local council

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The difference is that that's public property, I'd assumed it wasn't owned by the Taiwanese people and so they had no right to put anything there.

rantman

HSC
N/A
no it was a festival in cabra, and they hung their flag on the stage

Generator

HSC
N/A
They had a 'right' to fly the flag there in their own way (e.g., on a person, on a car, etc.), it's just that given that it was 'public' property it couldn't be displayed on a permanent basis (that's what I would assume, anyway).

Edit: As a temporary item within a cultural festival... No idea. Maybe because it isn't recognised as an 'official' flag and due to political pressure from above and beyond (as you said)?

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It was probably just a bit of backroom negotiation to stop a shit fight occurring... which seems to happen a lot when it comes to national and cultural celebrations.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Raiks said:
It was probably just a bit of backroom negotiation to stop a shit fight occurring... which seems to happen a lot when it comes to national and cultural celebrations.
Or with Taiwan and China full stop.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
i remember when Cathy Freeman won a medal @ the 2000 olympics or maybe it was 96? she got in trouble for flying the aboriginal flag around after her race?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ujuphleg said:
Or with Taiwan and China full stop.
Yeah, because Taiwan and China are like school kids trying to share the lollybag.

Lorie

HSC
sped_kid01 said:
i remember when Cathy Freeman won a medal @ the 2000 olympics or maybe it was 96? she got in trouble for flying the aboriginal flag around after her race?

yeah it was at the commonwealth games at Canada in 1994. She got in trouble for carrying both the Australian and aboriginal flag.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Lorie said:
yeah it was at the commonwealth games at Canada in 1994. She got in trouble for carrying both the Australian and aboriginal flag.
i did not know that she got in trouble for that...what was the basis of the argument?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i did not know that she got in trouble for that...what was the basis of the argument?
Because there is no such thing as the Aboriginal nation?

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
Probably just some fascist cunt having a whinge because they like to pretend Aboriginies never owned this place.

rantman

HSC
N/A
abos deserve to fly flag alongside australian flag in public on aussie day 26th jan, cause they own this land and they should be spared another national day of mourning

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Same thing happened when the vietnamese in Cabramatta tried to fly the South Vietnamese flag because they still bare a grudge for Communist Vietnam.

I dunno about flying the Australian flag in USA. If it'd piss them off I'm all for it :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Because there is no such thing as the Aboriginal nation?
Depends on your definition of nation, which can differ from the definition of country.

But the point would more be, that there was no Aboriginal team competing with that flag in the games.

Taiwan, although argued about being a country, participates in many international games under Chinese Taipei.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)