• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Flying Flag banned (4 Viewers)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Near Alice? Fair enough then, sorry mate, I assumed you were one of those who has, you know, 1/16th or something. So fair enough.
yeh near alice :D did u say ur from Walgatt?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
i find australia's political scene lacking---actually, that is the wrong word. More like bullshit!
What I mean is, there are definately elements of Australaia that are lacking. I love Australia, for the most part. I love the fact that we can live in a multicultural society and (apart from some rogue individuals like Tatooedguy) get along. I love the fact that I live on the coast, but can travel 20 minutes down the road and take a walk in the rainforest. Or drive to the snow for the weekend. Or take a short plane trip to visit my family in the northern territory. Or swim in one of the most beautiful reefs in the world just a short trip north. Australia is fantastic.
But there are some political issues that definately need to be sorted out. The health care system in this country is pathetic. We are nearing a political scene where a right wing group of George Bush lovers will have control of both houses of government, leaving other parties practically powerlesss. We are locking up innocent men, women and children who have come her seeking refuge.
I love my country,
But it doesnt necessarily mean i like it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Health Care? I'd call up your left-wing but moderate buddy bob carr about that.
Demosthenes, as much as i agree that we do kinda need a strong opposition, i strongly doubt u'd be complaining if we had a greens/labor alliance passing all sorts of laws turning back the clock on industrial relations and making australia the most inefficient western economy in the world.

Demosthenes, we have a right to lock up people who come over without any paperwork untill such a time as we can determine who they are and if they are a true refugee. I believe conditions need to be fixed in these detention centres and perhaps we need better dialogue as i feel it's more a lack of communication that leaves these people feeling so desperate.

If you can come up with a better situation i'd like to hear it.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Health Care? I'd call up your left-wing but moderate buddy bob carr about that.
Demosthenes, as much as i agree that we do kinda need a strong opposition, i strongly doubt u'd be complaining if we had a greens/labor alliance passing all sorts of laws turning back the clock on industrial relations and making australia the most inefficient western economy in the world.

Demosthenes, we have a right to lock up people who come over without any paperwork untill such a time as we can determine who they are and if they are a true refugee. I believe conditions need to be fixed in these detention centres and perhaps we need better dialogue as i feel it's more a lack of communication that leaves these people feeling so desperate.

If you can come up with a better situation i'd like to hear it.
Firstly, nothatbright:
I would complain if we had a situation where we had a "greens/labor alliance passing all sorts of laws turning back the clock on industrial relations and making australia the most inefficient western economy in the world", especially if this alliance controlled both the upper house and the senate. I think it should be in the constitution that a party/preferenced party cannot control both the upper house and senate...it entirely defeats the system.
Secondly, I agree with you. "We have a right (as a nation) to lock up people who come over without any paperwork untill such a time as we can determine who they are and if they are a true refugee." But the whole idea of temporary detention is that it is TEMPORARY. I am a regular visitor to Villawood detention centre in sydney and some of the detainees there, (some as young as 5) have been locked up for as long as 3 years. Surely this amount of time is not necessary to determining the status of an individual as a refugee or otherwise.
There is a better situation: TEMPORARY detention, where the detention is actually TEMPORARY

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How long do u think it takes.. when u call up governments and they say 'we dunno who these people are', then u have to try to track down their origin... i dun think it's exactly easy.

Jonathan A

HSC
ihavenothing said:
they need to change it, looks way too much like nz flag

Who cares? There are a dozen or so flags that look like the US flag. Both the NZ and Australian flags are different in their own ways. People who can't tell the difference in Australia are those who wouldn't know how many stars are on the flag and what colour they are.

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
I thought Austrlai was a multicultural country we should the they let us fly our flag in other countrys

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
demosthenes said:
yeh near alice :D did u say ur from Walgatt?
Sorry for digging up an old thread..

Mum's family is from Walgett and a few from Coonabarabran and Warren. It's changed ALOT since mum lived there however.

Dad was born in Orange and grew up around Blaney and Dubbo (Central to West), it's Dad's family where my bloody comes from, but mum's family has married into aboriginal families. I was born in Sydney but left when the opportunity arose ;)

Like I said though, while I have blood, I don't identify, some of my cousins from those areas do however :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)