• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Flying Flag banned (2 Viewers)

waterfowl

HSC
katie_tully said:
The reason so many young men joined the army was so that they could prove themselves, and prove Australia.

Also weren't a lot of them wanting to fight, because they saw it as an adventure? I mean in those times (WWI) there wasn't much for young people to do, so they saw it as an oppurtunity to do something 'exciting'?

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Australia has perfected the amount of flags being flown. An endless barrage of flags seem to detract from what the flag stands for, so much so that you never want to see the flag. This is what has happened to America's flag. Everybody hates it because it is plastered everywhere. Australia and Australians though, by restricting flag flying to government buildings and landmarks rather than having one flying from every household causes the flag to be revered by the population, rather than just sighing at a monotony of endless flags.

The guy with the flag should remove the flagpole immediately. He didn't seek council permission to erect it there in the first place. You have to follow procedure when it comes to building things, no matter what you plan to hang off the final product.

Council permission exists for a reason, that is to prevent unsightly buildings from being built. The guy's flagpole juts out of his front lawn like the pole of a hills hoist and disgracefully splays the flag out across the street like some insignificant piece of washing.

I would suggest to the guy that instead of flying the nation's flag he fly the banner of whatever unit it was that he served in, and then wear his epaulettes and kepi on casual walks to the milkshop, commanding respect from all who see him. That would be cool.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Immigration is fine if it does not exceed a certain point where we have two languages, immigrants to this country should be able to have a decent control of english, they should also know that they are guests in this country and should respect it like their homeland. Ethnic crime is a shame coz it labels that whole group and if the problem continues its inevitable that john howard and the increasing right-wing government will deport them even if they werent born there. Eg. Lebanon will be looking for soldiers for the war with Israel.

In countries like France and Holland the immigrant population has exceeded a grand level and now many are facing deportation. These are because of what their reputation has put against them and has spoiled it for those wishing to make a new life abroad. But even in these countries, living conditions are awful, crime is high and education is an afterthought.

Being the son of immigrants myself, it has definately been hard to see how the main ethnic groups currently entering australia have got going for them. Employers are not willing to give them jobs so they turn to crime in most cases. There is no knowledge that returning to their own society may help them in their situations.

But ever growing religions such as Islam are threatening the Western World's sense of freedom and secularity. These can be detrimental to these countries identities and government. Here are sum figures:

Islam in Australia: 300,000

Islam in Canada: 600,000

Islam in the Netherlands: 984 000

Islam in Italy: 987 000

Islam in Germany: 1.7 million

Islam in the United States of America: 4 million

Islam in France: 5 million (!)

And its not fair as in other Muslim countries where freedom of religion is not the same.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i saw on tv how everyone in that guys street was flying their flags
i thought that was sweet
hes so sweet that old man
he should paint his house..make it the design of the australian flag
can u even do that...paint ur house with patterns and designs..?

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
soha said:
i saw on tv how everyone in that guys street was flying their flags
i thought that was sweet
hes so sweet that old man
he should paint his house..make it the design of the australian flag
can u even do that...paint ur house with patterns and designs..?
That would be crap. As though you'd paint your house the colours of any flag.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
For those who think patriotism is dead, you only need to look at the level of participation in the Australia Day celebrations.

Personally I did nothing for it, but the level of participation in Sydney and in surrounding local communities here was quite high.

No patriotism I think is dangerous. It leads us to a 'don't care' attitude. If we lacked that sort of patriotism during world war one and two, we wouldnt have had 16 year olds posing as 18 year olds to fight for our country.
That said, if we were invaded tomorrow, how many of you would inlist?

Too much patriotism reminds me of America. I think when somebody is too patriotic, they turn into a vigilante, become ove bearingly racist and hold that "our country is the best damn country in the world", attitude.

I think we can be proud of our country, our heritage, etc, without becoming obnoxious about it.

Ok WW2 was legit because Australia was being attacked. But 16 and 18 year olds fighting for Australia in WW1? I really dont think the turks in gallipoli were ever planning to attack and invade Australia....Australia was the invader and those mecenary anzacs (fighting for the advancement of the british empire, not the protection of Australia) who attacked gallipoli got what they deserved. Why should WW1 diggers be remembered as heros?

They fought not for self defense but attacked another nation which was no threat to them. They were basically mercenaries motivated by ideology ie british world domination. They are no more heroic than david hicks and habib fighting for the taliban and al qaeda ideology

waterfowl

HSC
That is so insulting to liken ANZACs to those fighting for the Taliban and AlQuaeda.
Australia was called upon by Britain and the Empire to help them out in the war, Australians saw this as an opportunity to prove themselves to the mother country as a strong new independant nation.

The Ottoman Empire declared war on France, Russia and Great Britain, they were by no means a poor innocent Empire that was invaded.

Get your facts right before you insult people who fought for our country. Sure it was not a direct threat, but what would have happened if the Ottomans had won? Britain would have been a part of that Empire, hence so would we.

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
You cant take anything away form the Anzacs. The Turks were alongside the Germans, so an invasion to allow a better trade route to Russia was justified in that context. Besides, teh Anzacs went to fight for Britain, not Australia, and if you read into the storeis of the Anzacs you will see that they had a lot of respect for the Turks, and the Turks had a lot of respect for teh Anzacs, for their selfless sacrifice in appaling conditions.

Jonathan A

HSC
rantman said:
why arent ethnic ppl and refugees allowed to fly their homeland flags?
i think they r still aussie if they still love their old country
is this just politically correctness or trying to protect australia from becoming owned by other nationalities?

You are allowed to fly your own flag, however the Australian flag usually must be flown with it. The Australian flag must be in the centre or on the left. The Australian flag must also be in the highest position or not have any flag elevated above it.

Jonathan A

HSC
supercharged said:
Ok WW2 was legit because Australia was being attacked. But 16 and 18 year olds fighting for Australia in WW1? I really dont think the turks in gallipoli were ever planning to attack and invade Australia....Australia was the invader and those mecenary anzacs (fighting for the advancement of the british empire, not the protection of Australia) who attacked gallipoli got what they deserved. Why should WW1 diggers be remembered as heros?

They fought not for self defense but attacked another nation which was no threat to them. They were basically mercenaries motivated by ideology ie british world domination. They are no more heroic than david hicks and habib fighting for the taliban and al qaeda ideology
There were many theories surrounding what the plans of the 'enemy' was during WW1, many believe that Australia was going to fall to the Germans if they did not defend Britain.

As for the second part of your post, that has to be biggest heap of rubbish referring to our Anzacs are mercenaries. Hicks and Habib were pulled up for acts of terrorism and facilitation, the Anzacs helped fight off the threat of the Ottoman Empire, an empire that was clearly very corrupt and very inhumane, ask any person from the Bulkan countries and they will confirm this. The slaughters and mass disrespect for human life and traditions. The Anzacs saved many countries including homeland Australia from the threat of empires that were becomming greedy. Whilst Britain too was also to partly blame, they were not the ones who invaded, Germany did.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
That is so insulting to liken ANZACs to those fighting for the Taliban and AlQuaeda.
Australia was called upon by Britain and the Empire to help them out in the war, Australians saw this as an opportunity to prove themselves to the mother country as a strong new independant nation.
And how does it prove yourself to be a "strong new independent nation" if you join stupid wars just to win approval from "god save the queen" Britain? Shouldn't an independent nation have its own independent foreign policy?

(Hicks and Habib) see themselves as heroic volunteers fighting to protect an overseas country which they identify with (Afganistan) from the invasion of their evil empire (America)....substitute Hicks and Habib with anzacs, afganistan with britain and america with ottoman and you get my point

waterfowl said:
Get your facts right before you insult people who fought for our country. Sure it was not a direct threat, but what would have happened if the Ottomans had won? Britain would have been a part of that Empire, hence so would we.
Fought for our country? Sorry but I don't live in Britain. Who cares who wins in Europe? Last time I checked Australia was not part of Europe therefore whoever takes over europe would make bugger all difference to people living here cos no empire in europe other than britain would bother trying to take over Australia from halfway across the world

Yes the ottomans were inhumane and imperialistic but then again british imperialism in many parts of the world, opium wars etc of 100-200 years ago was hardly ethical either so one imperialistic empire vs another imperialistic empire really makes no difference

Last edited:

waterfowl

HSC
supercharged said:
Fought for our country? Sorry but I don't live in Britain. Who cares who wins in Europe? Last time I checked Australia was not part of Europe therefore whoever takes over europe would make bugger all difference to people living here cos no empire in europe other than britain would bother trying to take over Australia from halfway across the world
Our constitution is an act of the British Parliament, therefore if England is taken over "technically" we are also under the 'invaders' control; and in those days our strongest links were with Britain, trade, commerce, immigration.

Jonathan A

HSC
waterfowl said:
Our constitution is an act of the British Parliament, therefore if England is taken over "technically" we are also under the 'invaders' control; and in those days our strongest links were with Britain, trade, commerce, immigration.

You are right, at the time we were under British act of parliament, however let me clarify now that the Statute of Westminster now means that we are not under their control. Other laws in Australia include the Australia Act.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Personally i wouldn't fly an Australian flag in any other country... like i might wear a shirt or something but i don't think americans, brazilians, french whatever need to see our crappy indistiguishable flag =/

Jonathan A

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Personally i wouldn't fly an Australian flag in any other country... like i might wear a shirt or something but i don't think americans, brazilians, french whatever need to see our crappy indistiguishable flag =/

Our flag is very meaningful and it is distinguishable. Our flags are not a fashion parade where you fly them with those of other countries and pick the best one. Our flag is our flag. It represents our federation, our history, our future and furthermore has been flown on many important occassions. Australian POWs held by Japanese during WW2 actually made an Australian flag out of old materials as a form of hope for their homeland countries. So it is distinguishable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)