• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Flying Flag banned (2 Viewers)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
tatoodguy, i hope you practise what you preach because i believe you follow a religeon called STUPID-FUCKING-IDITY, i dont want to see you praying to Stupid-sama either
LOLZ_R!

Bone577

HSC
N/A
I am still waiting on a single argument for patriotism. Don't you people ever ask yourselves why you should love a country? Or why it is good?

A country is a bunch of land with lines around it, and a bunch of people in it, some good, some bad. Am I supposed to love the whole country? Or just the people I like? Or not even the people but the land itself? Do you know what it is exactly that you love?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
tattoodguy said:
rabbit..............u are not being harsh enuffff.

they shouldnt bring their religious bull shit here............. our governments attitude is lets make some intruders feeel at home........................and make the true australian citizens feeel out of place .................

its fucking bull shit.

u can pray to whoever the fuck u want..but do it in ur own filthy homes.

u can eat shit for alll i care.....but do it in ur own home......................i dont want to seee fooood shops...and all that..........smeared with all this ethnic language....fucking learn english u pieces of shit.

u want to get ur drving licence? do u want to do ur test in lebanese? chinese ?......what else can we do to cater for u? u want all the street signs translated as welll?

go and get fucked u usellesss fucks..............go back to where u belong.
tatoodguy......who are the Australians??......theres no australians so get over it....even those who came here in chains hundreds of years ago are not australian, they are english....and whilst they came here in chains, other ethnic groups were invited to come here to fill up australia because the governemnt feared Japan would attack the weak australia which barely had any humans living in it...the english language which u seem to want everyone to know was brought here by the Brits......u wanna speak the real "Australia" language then go learn the language of the Aboriginals......u dont own this country.....u are an invader like the rest of us...so get off ur high horse....

waterfowl

HSC
soha said:
its still empty...to me..when you go overseas..and live in other countrys
you will understand

but its still lacking..and i have been to places..around nsw but not around australia

and have u been to various countys to be able to say no australia is not lacking?
just a question
I have been overseas, lived in Austria for (combined) 6 weeks.
I absolutely loved Austria and could even consider living there, but it didn't make me think Australia was lacking anything.
I have been to almost every major tourist town in Australia, and every state except VIC and TAS.

Australia is not lacking!

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
according to u?
why cant i feel that this country is lacking??
its not a crime
im not dissing it..some countrys are lackin..not only australia
i still live here..im still australian..i still love it
but yeah..eesh..i give up
do u want me to say this is the best country in the world and i love it..it makes my life complete?
coz i can if that makes u happy

waterfowl

HSC
soha said:
according to u?
why cant i feel that this country is lacking??
its not a crime
im not dissing it..some countrys are lackin..not only australia
i still live here..im still australian..i still love it
but yeah..eesh..i give up
do u want me to say this is the best country in the world and i love it..it makes my life complete?
coz i can if that makes u happy
Because it really isn't lacking. Any person who lives in Australia can live a full, happy, prosperous life...so therefore it isn't lacking.

I don't want you to say something you don't think, obviously.

You said that people needed to have been overseas and travelled to understand that Aust. is lacking something, I answered that by saying it doesn't.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
well im over this call it an argument or discussion..or whatever
i stand for australia is lacking
and im not an idiot..or a fool..im not a stupid immigrant who isnt grateful for being here
i just find it lacking
you can think something is wrong with me
or its lacking in my life
so be it..

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Of course Australia is lacking. It is badly lacking.

Inequality for one, soon enough we can rival the US (exageration, but you get the idea).
Shoddy health system. I can't get a fucking dentist without waiting 2 years or joining private health insurance (which I can't afford).
Criminal foreign policy.
Criminal immigration policies.
The greatest disregard for environmental stability in the world.
Overconsumption in general.

I mean, that is among other. It is a pretty big call saying this country isn't lacking.

elisabeth

HSC
Compared to a lot of countries, it makes me think we're doing pretty well. Compared to a lot of other countries, it makes me think "shit, that's pretty fucked up". It depends where you're coming from (metaphorically - I'm not even going into this who is/isn't a 'real' Australian crap).

I was one of those people who didn't care about the rest of the world... when I was 10. Then I moved to London, lived there for 5 years and saw a helluva lot of Europe. I've also travelled around Asia, etc. Now I guess you could say I've got the travelling bug. I don't think it's easier to be completely accurate in saying you don't want to do something, when you've never done it... once you've tried it, it could completely change the way you think.

So anyway. Nationality? I was born here, my parents were born here, I've lived 2/3 of my life here. But do I feel a true blue Aussie sheila? Hell no. Do I hate this country? Hell no.

Simply, I've seen enough of the rest of the world to know I can never truly call one place home. No single country has ever been or will ever be perfect, every country is lacking in some way. Maybe that's harder to understand if you've never been/lived anywhere else, but it's true.

Australia has the ingredients for most people to live full, prosperous lives. So do MANY other countries. Does that mean you would automatically feel at home or be happy in Canada, England, Japan, Germany? No. Everyone has different personal needs to feel completely content. For most people, that's more than just a home, a job, financial security. It could be extended family, a language, a culture, certain landscapes, climate, the attitudes of people or whatever. If Australia doesn't have it, it doesn't mean you'd hate it, just that to you, it is lacking something that prevents you from completely calling it home and never wanting to leave.

*Sigh* Anyone else know what I mean?

elisabeth

HSC
miaomiao said:
Australia's alright. But being overly patriotic is bad- it reminds me too much of the nazis and the third reich.
I love it how that's the first example you think of, especially given America's political climate these days.

rantman

HSC
N/A
White Rabbit said:
Hahahaha, They do! I'm all for the Dragons, especially over the......Sharks......

Member and all, though not my favorite place to drink ;)
I'm with you on this one, but this one only. Go DRAGONS!!!

Premierships

Dragons 15 Sharks 0 ...speaks heaps. :)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
those fucking anlgo scum...................who do they think they are.................speaking in english....................learn chinese you dumb fuckers........................if you want to speak english speak do it in your own anglo-saxon tribal clans.....................................if you want to be tribal anglo..................................... go back.......................to northumbria or some shit....................................

...........................tatooedguy...........................sucks..................................

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I am still waiting on a single argument for patriotism. Don't you people ever ask yourselves why you should love a country? Or why it is good?
Why is it wrong to be patriotic? To me, my love of my country is part of my indentity. It times when the world is going down the shitter, patriotism is what gets alot of people through. What do you suppose the outcome of WW2 would have been if people were not proud of the country in which they lived? If Australians had felt this country wasn't worth saving from invasion? You can argue patriotism divides. It also unites. Thats my opinion.

Inequality for one, soon enough we can rival the US (exageration, but you get the idea).
Shoddy health system. I can't get a fucking dentist without waiting 2 years or joining private health insurance (which I can't afford).
Criminal foreign policy.
Criminal immigration policies.
The greatest disregard for environmental stability in the world.
Overconsumption in general.
Thats called the Western World. You know, I can see that soha can stand back and say 'well this is whats bad, but I still want to live here', which is fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether or not I agree is irrelivent, you, however, do nothing but comment on how bad the place is. Is there anything you feel is redeeming?

But I'm tired of this either way, nobody will agree. And tattoguy, mate calm down, really. I don't agree with your views, nowhere near the same extent anyway. Just lay off a bit, yeah? Soha, Asquithian, it'e been fun :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Asquithian said:
Overbearing patriotism causes war and a 'them and us' attitude. It celebrates difference rather than what we have in common (our humanity). We have nationality and nation pride however in the centuries to come national culture of all nations will tend to meld together into a 'global' culture. Culture evolves always has.

We once has local culture but as transport evolves we got state culture and then national culture...and then for exmaple you got north American Culture.

Nationalism has evovled due to the ease at which now can travel. Almost a borderless world or at least one that is more borderless.
but no patriotism is also damaging. for example, we have a lot of ungrateful shits in Australia.

sorry, I'm usually a bit more eloquent.

K

katie_tully

For those who think patriotism is dead, you only need to look at the level of participation in the Australia Day celebrations.

Personally I did nothing for it, but the level of participation in Sydney and in surrounding local communities here was quite high.

No patriotism I think is dangerous. It leads us to a 'don't care' attitude. If we lacked that sort of patriotism during world war one and two, we wouldnt have had 16 year olds posing as 18 year olds to fight for our country.
That said, if we were invaded tomorrow, how many of you would inlist?

Too much patriotism reminds me of America. I think when somebody is too patriotic, they turn into a vigilante, become ove bearingly racist and hold that "our country is the best damn country in the world", attitude.

I think we can be proud of our country, our heritage, etc, without becoming obnoxious about it.

K

katie_tully

Asquithian said:
I think its a poor example of patriotism to cite WW1 and WW2 (since in the case of WW1 we were fighting as Poms really)

No matter what. No matter how devided a nation is it will ALWAYS band together if it is threatened. Even if you didn't feel very patrotic you would still defend the PLACE YOU LIVE from attack.

Nationalism has very little to do with self defence. Nationalism has more to do with invading and imperialism.
Well no. World War 1 was just after Federation. The reason so many young men joined the army was so that they could prove themselves, and prove Australia. It's well documented that among many of the reasons for inlisting, one of the highest was because these men were desperate to fight for their country, Australia. They were patriotic, they loved their new country. War songs, and stories all show a deep patriotic vein, and it's during these times the first example of "Australianism" was born.
Of course, there were still some attached by the apron strings to Queen and Mother Country...

Personally I feel if you don't have pride in your country and are quite indifferent, you're not going to feel obliged to put your life on the line for it.
I know it's hard to imagine, because there isn't much threat of being invaded any time soon.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
White Rabbit said:
Why is it wrong to be patriotic? To me, my love of my country is part of my indentity. It times when the world is going down the shitter, patriotism is what gets alot of people through. What do you suppose the outcome of WW2 would have been if people were not proud of the country in which they lived? If Australians had felt this country wasn't worth saving from invasion? You can argue patriotism divides. It also unites. Thats my opinion.
If it wasn't for nationalistic behaviour neither war would have ever started. That you should even mention the two said wars as examples of the positive effects of patriotism, knowing that without patriotism they would have never begun is quite puzzling.

Thats called the Western World. You know, I can see that soha can stand back and say 'well this is whats bad, but I still want to live here', which is fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether or not I agree is irrelivent, you, however, do nothing but comment on how bad the place is. Is there anything you feel is redeeming?
You said the country is not lacking. Perhaps the most illogical comment I have seen for some time. You are effectively calling the country perfect. You said "Australia is not lacking".

Well I and anyone who sees the things I listed (everyone should see them as flaws, unless you believe criminal behavious is part of perfection) as flaws will disagree with you.

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
As an immigrant i must say i love Australia and its culture et al

and its pretty sad because when i went back to the coutnry where i was born , i felt i didnt even fit in there anymore .. very akward

This being said , Australian patriotism is great the way it is at the moment, i mean how much further can we really go now???

HSC
rantman said:
why arent ethnic ppl and refugees allowed to fly their homeland flags?
i think they r still aussie if they still love their old country
is this just politically correctness or trying to protect australia from becoming owned by other nationalities?
eH?

im greek but i was going for england heaps in the IRL, i mean i know im in australia but is this what youre talking about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)